Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy dual battery setup
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Westy dual battery setup Reply with quote

So I just finished installing the auxiliary battery in the driver side rear of my Westy, all wired up as per the original wiring diagrams. The fridge does not work; I knew that before this effort so didn't expect anything, but what other features does this setup yield? Other than having a spare battery that's being charged while driving, which I can use in case I need to jump start myself...

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
Heliconman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy dual battery setup Reply with quote

You'll want to confirm this but from what I've read its only for the fridge when shore power is not available. I was looking at getting the second battery for mine as well.

The original wiring is still there. I removed my non working fridge and use the cabinet as storage. My plan is to use the second battery to power a DC outlet or two. We plan on buying a Engle cooler and I also need a DC outlet to run a CPAP machine if we don't have shore power. Looks like I'll be doing some mods.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy dual battery setup Reply with quote

I can't advise you on what was stock in your bus but I have installed several aux battery systems into buses. In my opinion it's best to forget the refrigerator and just use an ice chest. Keeps beer a lot colder anyhow. Use the aux battery to power an aux fuse block mounted under your dash and then run things like dome lights, stereo, power plugs, etc off that instead of the start battery. That way if you deplete the aux battery, the start battery will get you home.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Westy dual battery setup Reply with quote

Echoing what Aeromech said above.

Use the second battery to power an auxiliary fuse panel. Mine powers my fog lights, washer fluid pump, propex heater, radio, ambulance fans and multiple 12V receptacles.

Whatever you do, don't get an inverter. Most consumer electronics these days run on DC anyway, so you'd just be converting from 12 to 110 back to 12. You can find DC laptop chargers, fans, etc.

I've used the fridge a couple of times and it's just not big enough to be of much use. Instead I invested in a Yeti cooler that fits nicely behind the passenger seat and doubles as a place to sit.

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: