Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Bath Air Cleaner Questions
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
efnm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Oil Bath Air Cleaner Questions Reply with quote

OK, some more newbie questions that I haven't answered completely after scouring the website for a few days. Big thank you to some threads and Lukesky's photos on the air cleaner.

The PO had terminated the oil breather input into the air cleaner (See blue circle) and left the oil tower port open (I covered it with cloth, as seen in 2nd photo, to see how much splatter it was creating). I'm planning on leaving the warm air hose off - I don't plan on running this car much in the winter, which is pretty mild in New Mexico.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Why would they drop the oil breather hose? I have one on order and plan to install it unless I can be convinced that is a bad idea.

The PO also terminated the charcoal filter line (blue circle below) that should go to the air cleaner. The other line to the air shroud (green to red) is also off and the shroud is not plugged (red circle). Any typical reason why he/she plugged that line?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Finally, neither of the two vacuum lines exists or is plugged in to the air cleaner either. This is all such a mess from stock that I have a suspicion it was intentionally done.

So, I'm rambling - I guess I am asking, are there any connections that I should not correct here?
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner Questions Reply with quote

because you can get icing even in the summer- you might be happier with all of it hooked up. It's easy to confuse the fuel vapor recovery system with the pre-heat system- you need a book on Thing to get it all straight.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
efnm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner Questions Reply with quote

Wait, there's a Thing book? Smile I haven't found that yet nor any recommendations. I have RomTOCs CD to peruse, though. It turns out I don't have any PCs that play a CD anymore, though...

I think I follow what the pre-heat system intake is, and how the vacuum lines work when stock at this point. But am wondering whether all of that is necessary or why the PO did all of this.
hanksjim1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner Questions Reply with quote

Just FYI, there is a complete filter for sale on Samba just posted:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2077899
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner Questions Reply with quote

VW don't put extra parts on. Most all that are not connected are vapor recovery system or breather system.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner Questions Reply with quote

efnm wrote:
Wait, there's a Thing book? Smile I haven't found that yet nor any recommendations. I have RomTOCs CD to peruse, though. It turns out I don't have any PCs that play a CD anymore, though...

Got a smart TV- some of them had CD players built in. Saw players at Goodwill for 14$ tested.

Don't step in any!
efnm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner Questions Reply with quote

I'm still a bit confused - I think I'm going to reconnect the oil breather to the air cleaner and leave the vacuum system and the fuel vapor (charcoal cannister) undone and sealed as is.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner Questions Reply with quote

Embarassed The charcoal canister is that big because of the volume of fuel coming its way occasionally- If your willing to allow that kind of condition in your engine compartment-- I might mention "Blazecut right about now"-

You might want to cover any thing on the fan that blows- (the outlet to the missing canister) so the engine gets all that cooling instead of your impending fire.

Don't step in any!
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner Questions Reply with quote

I would make sure you don't seal the vent for the gas tank.
efnm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner Questions Reply with quote

Now I'm getting some feedback and am learning to translate WilliamM speak, too! Thanks for the responses.

I'll investigate what's needed to continue turning it back to stock and getting all the hosing hooked up as designed for a good vacuum. I'll plug the fan shroud outlet meant for the canister. That's just wasting air.

The hose from the charcoal trap to release any trapped fumes is plugged as shown in my picture, the inlet hose is not.

This link has been a big help, too:
http://www.vw-resource.com/air_cleaner.html
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner Questions Reply with quote

[quote="efnm"]Now I'm getting some feedback and am learning to translate WilliamM speak, too! Thanks for the responses.

----- Shocked Shocked comes from breathing to much air conditioning.- then diving back outside to complete a 5 min task in 20 min- Might be something in the water- we sometimes consume a gallon and a half a day down here. Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing

Don't step in any!
efnm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner Questions Reply with quote

Ha, whenever I complain of the heat I do think of my neighbors in southern AZ.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner Questions Reply with quote

efnm wrote:
Ha, whenever I complain of the heat I do think of my neighbors in southern AZ.

Your going to need water wings to visit you vw soon Shocked

Don't step in any!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner Questions Reply with quote

When I got my first Thing back in the mid '70s, I found that it got about 2 miles per gallon better fuel economy when the air preheat was hooked up than when it wasn't.

I agree with others that most everything VW put in place will tend to make a VW run better and last longer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: