Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old Beetle finds a new home
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
velolev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

Hi!

Last week I bought a 1965 Pearl White beetle from a nice lady in Sacramento, CA. I've been car-free (riding bicycles) for 13 years and just moved to the capitol a few months ago from Oakland. My wife and I decided we wanted to go camping and visit family and just be able to cruise around without getting super hot and sweaty for a change.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So I don't have much history on the car except what the previous owner had done, including a new transmission and rebuilt 1600cc motor plus various repairs and accessories like fresh bumpers. She gave me all the receipts, plus I've visited the shop where the work was done and met the guy responsible for most of it-- Justin at Kombi Haus in Sac. An owner prior to her restored it most of the way to the condition its in now. The seats, headliner, carpet and panels are in very good shape. The paint looks great on the outside with just a few chips and cracks here and there and some runs on the dash. A few bolts, plastic covers and rubber seals were painted over and the carpet was cut haphazardly, but for the most part its a very good looking driver. It starts on the first try when cold and only hiccups a little once hot.

I drove it 230 miles from Sac to Southern Humboldt to join my wife at a friend's wedding and it performed flawlessly, even crawling up the steep hills without crying.

My plan is to try to correct as many minor things as I can with the intent to keep it looking original, then after a decade or so do a complete body off pan restoration with as many correct parts as possible.

I want to thank everyone here for the help as I searched for solutions to a broken accelerator pedal pivot (the part that is welded to the pan) these past few days as I've been unable to drive it at all. Today I went to Bugformance, bought the cheap EMPI roller pedal, cut off the broken pivot, installed the new pedal and tonight my wife and I cruised around Sac with no particular destination.

I look forward to using this forum for my future needs.

Lev

Last edited by velolev on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

welcome aboard more pics please
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

I want to thank everyone here for the help as I searched for solutions to a broken accelerator pedal pivot (the part that is welded to the pan) these past few days as I've been unable to drive it at all. Today I went to Bugformance, bought the cheap EMPI roller pedal, cut off the broken pivot, installed the new pedal and tonight my wife and I cruised around Sac with no particular destination.

Hi and WELCOME.
While not common, that pedal pivot bracket does break away from the floor and is easily remedied.
Here I can show you two methods for your pedal dilemma and both of these vendors are well respected here.
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/chassis/bug_chassis.cfm?type=1
You will find Wolfsburg West to be a very easy site to navigate thru, though
some employees phone skills can be improved.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1384285
If your interested in a local Calif company dedicated to improvements.

I'd like to be the first to warn you of the easily attracted bling-bling of the many empi stuff (not even gonna call them parts) that proliferate many of our stores shelf space with zero warranty when it fails or when it doesn't even fit.

I would suggest getting comfortable with the prior owners shop and at a minimum have him let you know as to anything the car needs. I have worked at old school shops and the owner knew the driver and would suggest repairs, or not mention needed items, based on the drivers needs. If you are direct and tell him you're going to be putting some miles on the car nowadays and don't wish to be surprised out on the road. Of course things do happen but many breakdowns can be eliminated with due diligence with maintenance.

Hope this helps, Bill.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

Looks like a nice 20 footer. Euro style bumpers and 66/67 wheels and hub caps. Enjoy the Samba.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

I love the fact that the only car you have is a 65 beetle!
Welcome to the Samba, looks as if you have found a beautiful car.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

That looks very nice; got any engine photos?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
velolev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

Thanks all for the warm welcome! Its good to be here.

Today we plan to wash the car and detail it. Haven't had car-washing stuff in a LONG time, so have to get everything. More pictures will follow.

That EMPI roller pedal really didn't fit without shimming with some washers. Thankfully many of my small bicycle bits bins were available to hunt for spacers. I discovered after removing it that the original accelerator pivot (the one the roller pedal replaces) was severely bent and twisted, along with the Z-bar and other bits. There is a nice shiny spot of metal on the tunnel where it has been rubbing for who knows how long. The new pedal feels great!

She looks good up to 10 feet as far as finish, but from there you can see uneven gaps at the doors, hood and decklid. I'm still super happy with it. She was a late '65 (August) so would she have come with the '66 hub caps? I kinda like the older ones better. I prefer the US style bumpers with guards and overriders but new ones are pricey.

I am proud to have been car-free for so long and enjoy having only this car. I've even left it at home and ridden around on bikes instead but admittedly the gas pedal didn't work. Very Happy

I should have some more pics this evening... stay tuned! Cool

Betty -- August 1965 Type I
Pearl White
1600cc 12V
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

Grab a couple pics, minimum, of the front suspension inboard of the wheels/brakes and let see if the car has a link pin (65 and earlier) or a ball joint (66 and later) front beam.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

Of course, you will have to get over the guilt of such a gross polluting car erasing all the ecological benefits of your 15 years of bike riding.
Wink
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

A car built in August 1965 should be a 1966 model.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

Get ready to gain weight. I didn't go 15 years car free, but I went a while, got a 68 bug and watched the LB's add up. This was the last time I had defined abs.

Keep riding your bike!

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jay-Rod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

Welcome, I live in Wheatland, but work in Sacramento. Perhaps I will see you around!
velolev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

I miss the car washings! Cleaning up a bike just isn't the same-- there aren't large expanses of smooth paint to wipe and polish. It does highlight all the little imperfections but the white paint sure hides a lot from 10 feet away.

The last time I had a car was in Albuquerque in 2005. It was a 1994 Miata I had from 1997 that I sold to my father. I used to clean and polish that little car once or twice a week. Always by myself I would spend hours on my days off detailing every inch. Yesterday was the first time I ever washed and detailed a car with someone else helping... my lovely wife!

Today we head down to Pittsburg to show my Mom and Dad the lovely new addition to our family. The camera has a full charge now so I should be able to show everyone some more pictures.

Its going to be a lovely day!

Lev

Pearl White
1600cc 12V
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

Welcome to the very best air-cooled VW forum on the 'net. You'll find the answer to virtually any question you might have about your car and lots of very knowledgeable folks to help you sort thru any problems. Lots of good used parts here in the classifieds too.

Here's some good sources for parts and technical info:
Wolfsburg West - http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/index.cfm
Aircooled.net - https://vwparts.aircooled.net/
CIP 1 - http://www2.cip1.com/
Airhead Parts - https://www.airheadparts.com/
Gene Berg Enterprises - http://www.geneberg.com/

Reliable sources for interior stuff (seat covers, carpet, headliner, etc.):
Sewfine - https://www.sewfineproducts.com/
Newton Commercial - http://www.newtoncomm.co.uk/cars/vw-beetle/model-109/
TMI - http://www.tmiproducts.com/products.html/?find=1966-volkswagen-bug-sedan-11667

This list is far from complete but it should get you started. Enjoy your new Beetle and the newfound mobility it'll provide.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
velolev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your input. This an exciting hobby! Smile

As promised, I have more pictures.

On my trip to Humboldt County from Sacramento I stopped along State Highway 20 and captured these photos.

-
-
Here are a few of the 1600cc motor with a self portrait in the bumper on the first one.

-
-
The front axle.

-
-
More to come! Very Happy

Pearl White
1600cc 12V
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

Nice clean engine bay and underside. And beautiful countryside....I envy you guys in California.

Let me be the first to tell you to please move the fuel filter out of the engine bay. Do a search and you'll find lots of info on this....many of us put it under the car near the tranny.

You're going to learn to love the simplicity of these cars. Enjoy!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
Nice clean engine bay and underside. And beautiful countryside....I envy you guys in California.

Let me be the first to tell you to please move the fuel filter out of the engine bay. Do a search and you'll find lots of info on this....many of us put it under the car near the tranny.

You're going to learn to love the simplicity of these cars. Enjoy!

X2 on removing that fuel filter from the engine bay. Having a fuel filter between the pump and carb can also contribute to the brass inlet tube being pulled out of the carb. The extra weight applies constant pressure on the inlet to the carb. There was a recent thread where the inlet was pulled out of the carb and the owner was lucky it didn't catch fire! Yup, it had a fuel filter between the fuel pump and carb.

You have a great looking bug there. We look forward to your updates.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jay-Rod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

I know exactly where those photo locations are!!!! Beautifully preserved car. Great country up here!
velolev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

Thanks again all! I do love California and all the beautiful scenery. I should have pulled over while driving along Clear Lake but I wanted to keep moving. Hwy 20 runs right along the coast of the lake and there are some amazing vistas.

During my initial inspection of the car I saw the fuel filter somewhat dangling there and secured strangely and thought it looked bad, but didn't consider the safety of it. Looks like I'll be getting some new fuel line and pulling the left rear wheel again to install one near the transmission. Searching the forums as suggested gave me plenty of ideas.

After repairing/replacing the gas pedal the fatigued end of the cable broke so I had to replace that too. I picked up a second cable, a clutch cable and the correct belt from Continental. I have assembled a few extra tools from my extensive collection of bike tools to keep in the car for roadside repair work. Thankfully almost all bike parts are metric.

It looks like I have the kingpin type front axle instead of the ball joint one. Does anyone know when this change occurred during the 1965 to 1966 model year transition?

Cheers!

Pearl White
1600cc 12V
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

velolev wrote:
It looks like I have the kingpin type front axle instead of the ball joint one.

That right there is a ball joint front axle.

Also, plug up that hole to the left of the crank pulley for better cooling.

Looks to me like it's a 66 car. It looks like there could be an emergency flasher knob in this picture:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: