Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old Beetle finds a new home
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
velolev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

tisius wrote:
It's a beauty!

Thank you! Betty the beautiful beetle bug is a blast! Razz

jays58s wrote:
That's a cool car! Looks like you're enjoying it for sure. That black '53 oval you posted from Bugorama is my friends car, I built it for them. The second car you posted with the copper parts is my brother in laws, I'm currently trying to sell it for him. I'm in the area if you ever need a hand!

Thanks! Ooh that '53 was so nice to see. You did a fine job on that one! I chatted with him a bit after the show prizes were announced. I'll shoot you a PM if I get in over my head and need help, thanks very much!

Very Happy

Lev

Betty -- August 1965 Type I
Pearl White
1600cc 12V
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

velolev wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:
Great pictures. Have you considered getting the correct bumpers? For a stock height bug, there is nothing better IMO.

Thanks! I love to find good spots to shoot my cars with mostly natural backgrounds and where I can get 150-200 feet away to use the long lens to contract the perspective.

I agree the guards and over riders have the best look for stockers. The PO had these Euro-style blades installed after a minor parking lot incident mere weeks before selling her. They are brand new and super shiny chrome. I'll ask the shop that worked on her whether they would take them back in trade for the complete US style setup. Currently there are several sets of just blades in the classifieds here and many OG German US style available, but I really want to have nice shiny ones with no damage, so new reproductions will probably be what I get and sell the blades.

some new build bumpers are not very good, thin metal and badly done chrome mean dents easy and rust surfaces in few short years. becareful of some aftermarket chrome bits, some can be junk that lloks good new, but will look bad in short order.

search for high quality reproduction or nice used stock.

good luck, and yes we like your photography, how sweet!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

Wolfsburg West gets high praise from what I have read in regards to their bumpers. But they aren’t cheap. There are also stainless steel bumpers being made that supposedly have good fit and finish on them. May be an option, but yeas in general cheap reproduction bumpers are exactly that.... cheap.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
velolev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

Hello there!

I'm finally driving Betty again after a short hiatus. Last March I was riding my bicycle and was run-down by a road-raging Honda Civic driver. My leg was destroyed, I had surgery with 11 screws and 3 plates holding my bones together and the terrible person had no insurance. Thankfully I have medical insurance and uninsured motorist coverage.

Last October I re-finished the wood slats on my aftermarket chrome roof rack and created leather straps for it. You can read more on my leather topic here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=686167&highlight=

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just recently I decided to get some new and used parts and accessories to update her appearance and functionality. I will update as I go and hope to entertain the vw masses.

Cheers!
Lev

Pearl White
1600cc 12V
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

Looking good!!
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your crash. No insurance? I hope you sue them. People like that should be kept out of cars (and maybe even off bicycles or even skateboards....).

Happy you're recovered and enjoying the beetle again.
velolev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Looking good!!

Thanks! The straps are even quite functional. Update coming soon!

Mos6502 wrote:
Sorry to hear about your crash. No insurance? I hope you sue them. People like that should be kept out of cars (and maybe even off bicycles or even skateboards....).

Happy you're recovered and enjoying the beetle again.

Thank you. I do plan to sue but she's broke so just small claims. Max $10K but hell, that's a fine paint job if I want, right? The beetle is really making me feel good right now and helping my mental recovery from the PTSD. When I can walk normally again will be the real happy days.

Lev

Pearl White
1600cc 12V
velolev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

My wife and I had an adventurous road-trip last week we'd love to share with our V-Dub friends. Read all about it and see the photos in my write-up in the Stories Forum here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=703442&highlight=

Cheers!

Lev

Pearl White
1600cc 12V
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

You should try taking a drive up highway 108 to Pinecrest. It's a drive everyone should do at least once in their life.
velolev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

arizonabuckeye wrote:
You should try taking a drive up highway 108 to Pinecrest. It's a drive everyone should do at least once in their life.

I looked at it on the map. That's hardly far at all really! My wife agrees we should load up the camping gear and sleep near the dirt very soon. We'd probably also add Hwy 395 South towards Mono Lake and Crowley Lake to the trip.

Pearl White
1600cc 12V
velolev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Beetle finds a new home Reply with quote

More photos:

Pearl White
1600cc 12V
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: