Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Storage & Working Space
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Storage & Working Space Reply with quote

As the title suggest, does anyone have any clever or interesting ideas for storage so you have more space to work on your car ?

Gets old fast moving stuff around just to do the simplest things.

How about better lighting. I more then doubled all the lighting inside my garage, and I still fell like I'm going blind at times.

Thanks
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Storage & Working Space Reply with quote

If your garage has rafters you might consider moving some stuff up there; I placed a number of old boards across my rafters to store the extra hood, doors, seats, and other sundry original parts. A 100W bulb in my drop light works wonders, but it does get hot; otherwise you could experiment to see if there's any truth to that old wives tale about going blind Laughing
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Storage & Working Space Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
If your garage has rafters you might consider moving some stuff up there; I placed a number of old boards across my rafters to store the extra hood, doors, seats, and other sundry original parts. A 100W bulb in my drop light works wonders, but it does get hot; otherwise you could experiment to see if there's any truth to that old wives tale about going blind Laughing

Ha, my 3 car garage has an attic with crap all over the stairs to get up there. But, I now have some serious issues with my legs, and rather not climb those stairs if I don't need too.

Also she has ''claimed'' the attic and it's loaded with her stuff. I even braced the floor ( rafters ) to make sure her stuff stays up there.

I do have the car interior in the attic, along with large plastic crates of car parts that came with the cars I've bought.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
Figment
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Storage & Working Space Reply with quote

I've surrendered to the fact that it doesn't matter how much lighting I have in the garage, I still need a droplight (flourescent bulbs don't get as hot), a LED headlamp, a few other assorted lighting devices, and still every so often I get the itch to buy one of those 3-foot-long bar lights.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Storage & Working Space Reply with quote

^^^ x2
...and when you're "night blind" you end up wearing 2, 250 Lumen LED head lamps and wonder if you can fit a third. The one up side to limited space is that you get REALLY good at creative space optimization and discover how much unused wall space you actually have available in your garage/workshop.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Storage & Working Space Reply with quote

Can't really help with storage other than the obvious, shelving, creative stuffing of nooks and crannies and being honest about the parts you are keeping and cleaning house. Do you have room to hang shelving around the perimeter of your ceiling ?

As far as lighting, I'm just finishing my the inside of my garage. I painted the walls an off white and installed the newest generation of florescent lights with daylight bulbs. It's a big shop 24x36. In the picture there are only 4 - 4' dual bulb fixtures lit up, it's pretty good. But around the ceiling hatch (big body parts, seats etc, go up top) There are now 2 - 8 foot, 4 bulb fixtures and another 2 - 4 footers. It's like noon in there any time of the day.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

brad
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Storage & Working Space Reply with quote

Brad, very nice space. White walls I am sure help a lot with lighting. My garage is about the same size as yours but is 3 bays and one has a wall separating it from the other two. Dark brown wood everywhere which sucks up light. I too have 5 fluorescent fixtures plus 6 single bulb incandescent fixtures which I have converted to two 100 Walt LED bulbs each. I need a lot more ..

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe

Timing is everything
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Storage & Working Space Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
does anyone have any clever or interesting ideas for storage so you have more space to work on your car ?

Purge Laughing My wife and I try to regularly make Goodwill drop offs, but I do see the challenge as my boxes of original Ghia parts and waiting-to-be installed new parts continue taking up more and more space!
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Storage & Working Space Reply with quote

J1 wrote:
CiderGuy wrote:
does anyone have any clever or interesting ideas for storage so you have more space to work on your car ?

Purge Laughing My wife and I try to regularly make Goodwill drop offs, but I do see the challenge as my boxes of original Ghia parts and waiting-to-be installed new parts continue taking up more and more space!

Yes we have also.....' Did I mention I bought a 14x24 shed to get the lawn crap out of the garage ?

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe

Timing is everything
d5626
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Storage & Working Space Reply with quote

I like to use the large clear tupperware bins with matching color lids in different heights so they remain stackable on each other. In combo with shelving or even just stacked on floor it looks tidy/makes wife happy. Clear so I can see whats inside without opening it and if I need to, I can pull bin out from stack usually without having to move other bins on top. Some I write on backside of post-it and stick on inside of box so I can remember whats inside by reading list through container. These bins usually have smaller tupperware containers inside to separate parts. For aerosol and gallon size etc items, I put them in bins with no lids and short enough to sort through them. I'm able to pull entire bin off deep shelf and find product Im looking for without digging/moving all the other cans. Seems the can I need is always the one in the very back.

Interested in seeing solutions to overhead/ceiling lights when roll-up garage is in open position. Some kind of lighting that mounts to door and wiring that moves with it?
crazy tarzan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Storage & Working Space Reply with quote

Put lights on walls. That's what you do in a paint booth. Paint floor white.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Storage & Working Space Reply with quote

d5626 wrote:
...Interested in seeing solutions to overhead/ceiling lights when roll-up garage is in open position. Some kind of lighting that mounts to door and wiring that moves with it?

That is exactly the solution I am working on. I usually work at the door opening in the evenings during the cooler months (North Florida) and the light I have hanging near the door gets blocked by the open door. My current solution is a 2 lamp, 48" fluorescent fixture that I hang from the door when it is open but it gets old quick to have to put it up and take it down every time. I follow a a YouTube channel named DIY Perks. This guy does a lot of work using LED strips and has inspired me to come up with a LED solution built into the door and covered with thin Plexiglass to protect the lights. I am thinking of turning the entire door into one huge LED panel spanning the width of the garage. It is in the beginning stages now so perhaps someone else may come up with a solution sooner. Take a look at the YouTube channel, it may spark an idea for you.

...We're all in this together.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Storage & Working Space Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
d5626 wrote:
...Interested in seeing solutions to overhead/ceiling lights when roll-up garage is in open position. Some kind of lighting that mounts to door and wiring that moves with it?

That is exactly the solution I am working on. I usually work at the door opening in the evenings during the cooler months (North Florida) and the light I have hanging near the door gets blocked by the open door. My current solution is a 2 lamp, 48" fluorescent fixture that I hang from the door when it is open but it gets old quick to have to put it up and take it down every time. I follow a a YouTube channel named DIY Perks. This guy does a lot of work using LED strips and has inspired me to come up with a LED solution built into the door and covered with thin Plexiglass to protect the lights. I am thinking of turning the entire door into one huge LED panel spanning the width of the garage. It is in the beginning stages now so perhaps someone else may come up with a solution sooner. Take a look at the YouTube channel, it may spark an idea for you.

...We're all in this together.

Perhaps it would just be easier to replace the current garage door with a clear plexiglass door - then the door wouldn't block the light from the current ceiling fixture when it's open. Wink
Smile

Seriously, though, I do like your idea of turning the entire garage door into a giant LED light panel.
That would also allow you to easily adjust the angle of the lighting source by simply moving the door up, down, or anywhere in between.

As has been mentioned already, the color temperature of the bulbs being used can have a pretty dramatic impact on the overall effectiveness of the lighting.
I like to use "Daylight" bulbs, which typically have a color temperature in the 6,000 to 7,000 Degrees K range, whenever possible.

Some of the newer "smart" LED bulbs now even give you the option of using your smartphone to adjust the color temperature on the fly to better suit the requirements of individual tasks.

Like CiderGuy, I too tried using a separate shed to store the mower, miscellaneous yard tools, bicycles and such.
Unfortunately the shed I bought ended up being far too small ... or perhaps my collection of "stuff" just ended up being far too large.
Either way, I now wish I had at least twice the shed space.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Storage & Working Space Reply with quote

J1 wrote:
CiderGuy wrote:

Yup-----get rid of stuff. It doesn't matter what you paid for it , or what it "might"
be worth. Just this morning I gave a friend a pick-up load of Ghia stuff that has been hanging around my carport for nearly 20 years. A transmission; tail-lights;
starter "cores"; a lot of bumper pieces and parts; window glass; etc.
He can sell it or scrap it, I don't care--------but I just could not bear to put it in the Dumpster myself.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Storage & Working Space Reply with quote

With all this lighting talk Im not sure you guys are building workshops or grow rooms. Wink
LED's on the door is an interesting idea, I dont think you would need to cover them. Just dont glue the strips to the leading edge of the doors. Glue/tape/affix them in the recess area.
I just have a bunch of 4 and 8 ft florescents in my work areas. I often need headlamps, flashlight, drop light for specific jobs. It would be pretty hard to have perfect lighting for everything... unless you have lighting focused up from the floor Very Happy
Lots of plastic boxes, some labeled only by memory Wink ...stacks of them.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Storage & Working Space Reply with quote

Did I mention part of my basement has 6 large wire racks full of new parts for the car. I even have a huge rubber maid box with a 1835 long block in it.

Part of my issue is she is a glass and metal artist who actually earns a living from something that she loves to do.

So there are built in work tables on just about every wall in the garage, and larger tools like router tables, table saws, miter saws, drill press, radial arm saw..... everywhere. you get the idea.

We did have a huge yard sale and it helped a little. Her parents also have down sized so they keep stuff here they'll never use.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe

Timing is everything
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Storage & Working Space Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
J1 wrote:
CiderGuy wrote:

Purge :lol: My wife and I try to regularly make Goodwill drop offs, but I do see the challenge as my boxes of original Ghia parts and waiting-to-be installed new parts continue taking up more and more space!

Yup-----get rid of stuff. It doesn't matter what you paid for it , or what it "might"
be worth. Just this morning I gave a friend a pick-up load of Ghia stuff that has been hanging around my carport for nearly 20 years. A transmission; tail-lights;
starter "cores"; a lot of bumper pieces and parts; window glass; etc...

I agree. Lots of my Ghia stuff went to other Ghia owners at no charge. I promised my wife I would tidy the garage after the work on my car had been completed. I "forgot", she didn't. So I had to repaint the garage and install shelves along "my" side with collapsible crates to house all my stuff.

Nice and tidy now.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Storage & Working Space Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
With all this lighting talk Im not sure you guys are building workshops or grow rooms. Wink
LED's on the door is an interesting idea, I dont think you would need to cover them. Just dont glue the strips to the leading edge of the doors. Glue/tape/affix them in the recess area.
I just have a bunch of 4 and 8 ft florescents in my work areas. I often need headlamps, flashlight, drop light for specific jobs. It would be pretty hard to have perfect lighting for everything... unless you have lighting focused up from the floor Very Happy
Lots of plastic boxes, some labeled only by memory Wink ...stacks of them.

Personally, I find that particular type of labeling system does not seem to stand the test of time very well at all! Sad
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Storage & Working Space Reply with quote

Quote:
Personally, I find that particular type of labeling system does not seem to stand the test of time very well at all!

Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
54bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Storage & Working Space Reply with quote

Storage is like Tetris, the better you are at it the faster the stuff accumulates. I sold and stored VW parts for years, now I just have parts for my car, some leftovers and some hard won lessons. I also work in a Musical instrument repair shop, and deal with the accumulation. It can get overwhelming.

Consider the following:

1) Parts size: Storing Seats and engines takes a lot of room, and is worth keeping outside of your work space. Big stuff is hard to store and get rid of.

2) Standard container sizes: Pick 2 sizes of containers and get a bunch of them. Get one size for smaller parts and another for larger parts, like engine sheet metal. Rubbermaid makes good, and better, products and doesn't make a lot of changes. Get a bunch and use this to plan your storage space.

4) Find the space for storage: I've hung shelves from the ceiling, put racks over garage doors, and limited floor storage to bins on roller dolly's under a work bench. Design all the space to fit your storage bin size.

5) Organize before you store: Cull the parts and use a lot of Zip lock bags. If it's bagged you can sort the bags, not the parts. Every part isn't valuable, keep it from being a hoarding exercise.

6) Put it up and label Both ends of the boxes: A bit of masking tape and a sharpie eliminate a lot of cursing. Everyone will be amazed when you pull down the correct box for the fuel cut off solenoid.

7) Realize it's never done: Keep on top of the heaps of parts

Cool Be kind to other VW owners... Having spares is good karma if you share! You never know who will will help you in the future.

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: