Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

It's like when I was growing up, our neighbors asked my dad what would be a good reliable car to but for their son (he was turning 16). An Audi Fox or VW Dasher was recommended because they were reliable as can be. They bought a Dasher. A month later it came in with no drive. What happened was the throwout bearing seized up and welded itself to the slider and pressure plate. So, we had to take the engine and transmission put because we couldn't get it apart. Then it was a hole saw cutting a hole in the bellhousing just so we could access the bolts on the pressure plate.

Needless to say, they did not believe a Dasher was a reliable car after that. Even though we had never seen that problem before and since.
57 Zwitter?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

170k If this is supposed to be a "How many miles thread", where are the mile figures?
euro2003
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

226,000 miles - however my luck is out, although the trans is still great, I developed a leak in the front trans pump seal, so might as well rebuild it. Have to pull the trans anyway.
Phil B 2003 EV WE
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

I've seen one 400,000 mile VR6 van with the original transmission and I had a 300,000 mile one in my shop with the original trans.

I see lots of 200-250K vans with original transmissions.

FWIW, I've had to repair more broken manuals than autos.
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

I have a 289k mile 5-cyl with no trans problems.
I have a 198k 12 valve with no trans problems.
I have a 210k mile 24 valve with no trans problems.

I have numerous vehicles between 120k and 200k with no trans problems.

Out of 25 vans I've personally owned in four years, I've had four with trans problems that required replacement (one we knew about when we bought it and got a good deal because of it).

Most just need a fluid change. I've also started using HotShot friction reducer on my trans fluid changes (within the last six months) and have noticed it helps with stuck valves/hard shifts, etc.
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

DenverB wrote:

Out of 25 vans I've personally owned in four years, I've had four with trans problems that required replacement (one we knew about when we bought it and got a good deal because of it).

So just to geek on this data for a moment Shocked

Looks like the average mileage of your vans is roughly 160k-ish.

160,000 average across 25 vans is a combined total mileage of about 4,000,000 miles Shocked

The failure rate of 4 out of 25 is 16% of the fleet.

That’s something like 1 failure per 1 million miles of combined driving.
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

close, though I have several outliers including four sub-90k vans.

but overall that assessment is correct.
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
friaral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

So, this is my first time posting. Just registered today. Wanted to join the conversation about Eurovan high mileage as I own a 2003 EV MV with over 218,000 miles on it. Like many of you I love it and want it to last forever, as Cat Stevens once sang! I am second owner. First was a grandpa who used it to take grandkids to florida from michigan for vacation. Took good care of it and changed tranny fluid a couple of times before my getting it. I just had the tranny fluids changed myself. So far so good! Any others out there with similar stories or vehicles with higher mileage all original?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

There is sad theme of hapless individuals who buy EV and EVCs for 10-30k, then find they have a bad transmission and a 6-7k bill.

It is more satisfying to label the car as problematic or design-flawed than admit they were the chump who bought someone else's problem and were probably cheated.

Of the 30 T4s local in my community, I am the only one I know on Samba
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
There is sad theme of hapless individuals who buy EV and EVCs for 10-30k, then find they have a bad transmission and a 6-7k bill.

It is more satisfying to label the car as problematic or design-flawed than admit they were the chump who bought someone else's problem and were probably cheated.

And someone else’s transmission problem is due to what?
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
1984urq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

Coming up on 221K and have had an oil cooler in it since 108K no problems
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

Did a search before i posted Wink

my 2003 MV has 224k miles.

PO claims he never did anything to it major. zero transmission service of any kind. dealer maintained.

ID drive it anywhere. Yes, im gentile on the trans, but it seems to shift like it should.
friaral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

Second owner of 2003 MV with 220,000 miles. Don’t want to jinx anything but so far so good! Previous owner had disregarded VW instructions and regularly changed transmission fluid. I have continued that practice and will continue to do so. Shifts beautifully!
amyshannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

amyshannon wrote:
After soliciting advice here i had the trans fluid changed on my 2002 van at over 200,000 milles. I am the original owner and it had never been done.

Well i took apart the filter, the fluid was dark brown but not burnt smell. Inside the plastic casing was a sponge like material folded once onto itself. I examined it carefully . No metal or plastic pieces....just sand like grit that may have been metal..... smaller than sand particles.

Am I the luckiest Eurovan owner? Anyone else have stories of original transmissions lasting into this mileage range?

Hi Everyone,

I am the OP and wanted to add some info. I went back thru all service records and it looks like I actually did have the Fluid and Filter changed at around 100,000 miles. My wife ( Amy ) was the primary driver from when we purchased it until 2017 / 200,000 miles. It is now a third car that I use primarily for Camping / Hunting / fishing and as a equipment hauler for the soccer team I coach.

At around 203,000 miles I did the Transmission Fluid and Filter change and added a GoWesty cooler. It was just starting to intermittently make a strange noise or vibration when going accelerating 15 to 20 miles an hour.

Since then that has gone away and I am happy to report I am at 216,000 miles with original transmission ( and engine and timing chains )

I love this vehicle and want it to last forever. The tech from the shop I go to has noted the transmission case is " seeping ". Not sure what to make of that but I guess seeping is a slower version of leaking. The owner of the shop didn't seemed to concerned.

I also installed a scangauge at around the time I did the gowesty cooler install and the Fluid temp really exceeds 179 since putting in the cooler.

Hope this info is helpful to people

DRS
Los182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

- 1999 EVC
- 3rd owner
- Original Trans & Motor
- 254K miles and still going strong!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:
Abscate wrote:

And someone else’s transmission problem is due to what?

A transmission problem is a transmission problem, correct. What Samba has is a distinct genre of posters referring to the “problematic T4 auto Tranmission” because of the purchase experience above that drives them here.

I’ve owned and maintained first through fourth generation Transporters and the T4 is by far the best fit and finish of any, not speaking for the T5 and T6 since I’ve only drooled on them.

By far, most T4 owners don’t come here as there cars are just running fine 15-20 years later. I’m not even sure we have any T5 or T 6 members here.
orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:
I've seen one 400,000 mile VR6 van with the original transmission and I had a 300,000 mile one in my shop with the original trans.

I see lots of 200-250K vans with original transmissions.

FWIW, I've had to repair more broken manuals than autos.

With all the doom and gloom on auto transmissions I think it's worth dredging up this thread and see all other positive experiences. Cole: do the examples listed have external coolers installed?
orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

DenverB wrote:

Most just need a fluid change. I've also started using HotShot friction reducer on my trans fluid changes (within the last six months) and have noticed it helps with stuck valves/hard shifts, etc.

Also curious with all the high mileage vans you have do you run external coolers or still with the original heat exchangers?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

Not a single one of our local group has an external cooler. N=32 now

VW put in temperature regulation in the design already. Don’t add crap that engineers already covered due to a marketing Piece.
orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Not a single one of our local group has an external cooler. N=32 now

VW put in temperature regulation in the design already. Don’t add crap that engineers already covered due to a marketing Piece.

What's your consensus on transmission fluid and filter change intervals?

Adding 2 other data points:

My uncle has a 2000 EVC with about 160K miles on original engine and transmission (no external cooler).

I have a 2001 EVC with about 90K miles on original engine and transmission (no external cooler) running and shifting beautifully.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: