Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

356 pre A
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: 356 pre A Reply with quote

Key wording in the ad "tastefully upgraded"
donco735
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 pre A Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
I once worked with someone who mated a rusted-out '55 to a VW floorpan, when he lived in NM in the 1980s. He left the car behind, unfinished, when he was transferred out of state.

I'm wondering if this the same car, now identified as a '53, restored with the VW pan left in place?

Reviving an old thread. I just ran across this video clip tonight:

https://youtu.be/UGG8wHcVd-c

It belonged to a friend of mine (Chuck H.) He left it behind when he transferred. He wanted to turn it into a one of a kind outlaw. I stored it for him for a few months and did a little body work on it in 1989. My memory of it is fading, but a a few details I remember about the car, not sure how he came across the Porsche body. The chassis was a running driving 1968 VW beetle bare chassis that was used as a runaround cart at a local golf course. He set the body onto the pan and welded sheet metal strips the at the appropriate places to mate them together. From the exterior, it looked fairly proper and was a rigid assembly. He had me "French" the taillights. I fabbed oval sheet metal boxes to size and recessed them into the body, using 1950 Buick twin beehive lenses, with the tips flush with the contour of the body. I also cut the sides and bottom edge for a recessed license plate and pushed the rear center inward about 1.5" and welded a perimeter frame for it. I welded up all the front turn signal and horn vent holes in the and ground them flush. He had a pair of vintage Rossi style headlights with integrated turn signals in the lower brim. My favorite part was the split window rear window (which Porsche never made). He cut the frame from a 1938 Buick and had new flat glass made for it, no rubber seal, just black butyl caulk to bed them. The fit and contour of the Buick split window looked almost "factory"

If I recall, the gauges were from an Alfa, seats from a 70's vintage Saab. I forget what the steering wheel was from. It would have been a cool project if taken to completion. Chuck's true love of cars was Studebaker Hawks. I sold him my flatbed trailer and he towed a cherry Golden Hawk back to Maine, and that's the last I saw of him and the Porsche. I regretfully fell out of touch with him and do not know if he still has the Porsche.
James Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: 356 pre A Reply with quote

marktodo wrote:
I have a 52 . The pedals are porsche but not pre A . Pre A's are square.

Square pedals were used until ~Apr 1954. After that, the curved shaped ones that were adjustable were used.
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 pre A Reply with quote

I had a '55 Continental coupe mounted on an early shortened swing axle Beetle pan, tunnel looked exactly like what's in the picture. Shifter was on top of the tunnel, e-brake was under the dash.

My Pre-A had a ribbed-top blinker switch, a red plastic lens on the end of the stalk, and a half horn ring on the steering wheel, that looks like a plain old repro wheel with a Beetle blinker and plain knob.

Maybe?

Pedals look just like the ones that were in my '65 SC and a lot like the ones that were in my 914 as well.
marktodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 pre A Reply with quote

I have a 52 . The pedals are porsche but not pre A . Pre A's are square.
0ttomotor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 356 pre A Reply with quote

Hmm, whenever I saw a 356, I looked at the tunnel and I immediately knew if it was a replica or an original. Perhaps my strategy is obsolete? But if it's not factory made, which reason could it be to add such a beetle center tunnel? Everything original but inside it looks like replica? Myterious...
Thanks to all and kind regards from germany
Hans
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 356 pre A Reply with quote

I looked it up and the KCW Pre-A was Chassis # 51826

This one is Chassis # 50540
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 356 pre A Reply with quote

I wonder if this is the same 53 that was built at KCW? I know he put in a tall center tunnel for some reason as well as a ridiculously tall (maybe Bus?) shifter. The beam was narrowed as well. It was Dove Blue then.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 pre A Reply with quote

I once worked with someone who mated a rusted-out '55 to a VW floorpan, when he lived in NM in the 1980s. He left the car behind, unfinished, when he was transferred out of state.

I'm wondering if this the same car, now identified as a '53, restored with the VW pan left in place?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: 356 pre A Reply with quote

I don't know the answer but maybe the description here gives some information:
https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1953-PORSCHE-356-PRE-A-REUTTER-COUPE-187712

Quote:
Lot #734 - Total vehicle production was estimated at 1,600 cars in 1953, 338 of which were 1300 model cars. Very few remain today, making this rare Porsche one of the earliest examples in history today. Chassis #50540 was prepped for Rally racing years ago by Veteran Porsche race car driver and builder Klaus Selbert. In the last year #50540 received a top-level restoration, keeping the car true to its Rally racing heritage. It retained its race-prepped Magnesium Split case engine making approximately 120hp, double the horsepower of stock and still very street-friendly, running on pump gas. Oversized to 1640cc with all of the best internals, dual Solex 40 carbs, external oil cooler with filter and synchromesh split case 4-speed transmission with 911 shifter. Upgraded to 12-volt with an AGM battery. Suspension was upgraded with Koni shocks, heavy-duty adjustable sway bar and boxed trailing arms. This car handles superbly. The brakes were upgraded to a dual master cylinder with synthetic brake fluid. The front trunk floor was slightly modified to accept a 911 external oil cooler that has pass through air flow with a screened opening in front. Custom front floor and rocker shielding to keep air turbulence to a minimum under the car. Custom forged 16" aluminum rims were built to replicate original but widened to 5.5" for extra performance and stability. Laser-straight panels and excellent gas pumps throughout. Upon inspection during restoration, this car showed no evidence of any major accidents and retained all of its original body panels, as evidenced by the original paint showing in hidden areas. All panels were stamped "62." All original VIN tags, trim tags and stampings. All chrome and brightwork refinished to show-quality. Interior redone with European Tobacco leather and German wool carpets bound in leather. Original Veigel gauges rebuilt by Hollywood Speedometer. Tachometer has been upgraded to electronic and has revised redline. Custom-made aluminum racing seats. Certainly one of the finest early Porsches tastefully upgraded for a greatly improved driving experience. Documented with Porsche Certificate of Authenticity.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0ttomotor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: 356 pre A Reply with quote

Hi, I have a question, can anybody help?
This 356 should be an original pre A.
But why is there a tunnel like from a beetle pan?
Looks like kitcar, but without emergency brake?
But with Porsche pedals?
Or is it possible that this tunnel was at any time factory made by Porsche?
Thanks for your answer!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: