Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Favorite Camping Meals
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

What do you love to cook when camping in your Bus?

Hoping to head out later in the week for a trip and considering what I'll cook along the way.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

Squirrel is tasty & plentiful albeit a bit chewy. Rabbit works too & is much easier to field dress.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/survivalist/2013/...hout-knife

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Ksprague
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

We're big on "foil dinners". Just wrap ground beef up in tin foil with a variety of vegetables - diced potatoes, mushrooms, onions, peppers and whatnot . (I think it might be a tradition left over from my son's cub scouting days).

We find it ideal for bus camping -and for the limited storage in our westy icebox because they are very compact and you can make them any size or shape. We pile up a bunch of individual meals on the back wall of the cooler. You can grab them and cook on a grill or just throw them on the coals of camp fire and let them sizzle away! Eat them right out of the foil - easy cleanup, too!

"The bus came by and I got on, that's when it all began."
~ Bob Weir
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

FOr a one week trip...

Ive the secret of pre-cooking greasy foods, freezing them hard, using the heat value to keep the icebox cold, and just re-heating for dinner with minimal grease mess.

MAShed potatoes and vegetable cook with just water, so dinner and clean up is a snap!

My one vice is fried eggs to go with Canadian bacon in the morning.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

Ksprague wrote:
We're big on "foil dinners". Just wrap ground beef up in tin foil with a variety of vegetables - diced potatoes, mushrooms, onions, peppers and whatnot . (I think it might be a tradition left over from my son's cub scouting days).

We find it ideal for bus camping -and for the limited storage in our westy icebox because they are very compact and you can make them any size or shape. We pile up a bunch of individual meals on the back wall of the cooler. You can grab them and cook on a grill or just throw them on the coals of camp fire and let them sizzle away! Eat them right out of the foil - easy cleanup, too!

Lots of studies are now linking aluminum contamination with alzheimers, dementia, Parkinsons, & autism.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

Cereal, eggs, bacon, home fries, burgers, hotdogs, brats, steak, chicken, corn, mac and cheese, rice and beans, lunch meat.

Beer counts as a meal, IMO.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Ksprague wrote:

Lots of studies are now linking aluminum contamination with alzheimers, dementia, Parkinsons, & autism.

Pretty much shown to be inconclusive. Last year, even the mechanism of vogue - aggregation of proteins in the brain, was shown to be an incomplete model with BOTH false negatives and positives.

If we whack the NIH budget by 30% though, that should get us the answer quicker.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Pretty much shown to be inconclusive. Last year, even the mechanism of vogue - aggregation of proteins in the brain, was shown to be an incomplete model with BOTH false negatives and positives.

Here's to hoping, having grown up with aluminum cookware being the best thing since sliced bread & watching the affects of Alzheimer's on many family members, I'd like to say that I'd much rather die by self immolation but sadly, as those with it progress further into it, like them, id probably forget how to light the match or why I was trying to.

pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

Our standard is hit a grocery store in the am. We buy a couple of pre-made sandwiches,a salad kit and a Six pack. No dishes,great healthy food.

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
orangesuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

I like to pre-prep chili at home and double bag it in gallon zip lock bags that way it stuffs easily in the icebox conforming to whatever space you have left. Plus the leftovers are good on eggs, burgers, dogs, tortilla chips, or basically anything else you are planning to make come to think of it.

I am also partial to quesadillas, tortilla packs fit anywhere and all you need beyond that is some butter a cast iron pan and a bag of shredded cheese. Some left over chili and sour cream aren't bad editions either.

Once I rode a motorcycle on a 10,000+ mile cross country 40 day trip. We quite literally ate pop-tarts for breakfast everyday, a fast food dollar menu for lunch and either cheese quesadillas (without the luxury of sour cream) or ramen soup for dinner every night. Space was at a premium in the saddlebags and money was lacking in the wallets. We survived just fine.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a-marshal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

Along with the Colman stove we usually pack a Weber kettle BBQ so it is BBQ something every night for the first 4.. the first night is usually something that doesn't get frozen like Chicken Souvlaki or Salmon Steaks .. After day one I'm with Abscate...

Abscate wrote:
FOr a one week trip... Ive the secret of pre-cooking greasy foods, freezing them hard, using the heat value to keep the icebox cold

I do pretty much the same thing but I will usually buy a couple of good strip steaks and freeze them solid. As mentioned they work nicely as freezer packs in the ice box for a couple of days and then make a nice diner on day three or four.

As far as breakfast goes Abscate has a similar habit to me there as well..

Abscate wrote:
My one vice is fried eggs to go with Canadian bacon in the morning.

Freeze most of the bacon in single serving sizes leaving just enough thawed for day one.. eggs seem to keep well for me and I usually run out of eggs before I run out of cold, say breakfast number 4. One important thing to add to breakfast is home-fries.. find tinned new potatoes at the grocery store. Super easy prep, drain the tin and chop the potatoes in the can (if necessary), dump a tablespoon of butter into the pan the bacon came out of, pour in the potatoes add some onion powder/garlic powder/pepper etc stir around for 5- 10 minutes ... and done.

Before your trip season your icebox or cooler.. freeze water in old soda bottles and fill your icebox with them about a day and a half before you plan to leave.

once there is no more cold there is still a meal or two that can be made from pasta with pesto or even some vegetarian sauces, parmesan cheese keeps in the warm and you can even find cheese tortellini that does not require refrigeration... ...

And I wonder why I can't really seem to loose weight...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

If it's an overnight getaway I like to prepare.
Smoked white sturgeon, new crop potato “Confit", celery branch salad, vidalia onions and “Chowder Emulsion." Paired with a bottle of Domaine Drouhin Oregon Pinot Noir Cuvée Louise, Dessert i usually whip up a Lemon curd and goat cheese soufflé

On long weekend trips I like to make a classic Boeuf Bourguignon. It's a camp fire favorite.

Laughing

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
If it's an overnight getaway I like to prepare.
Smoked white sturgeon, new crop potato “Confit", celery branch salad, vidalia onions and “Chowder Emulsion." Paired with a bottle of Domaine Drouhin Oregon Pinot Noir Cuvée Louise, Dessert i usually whip up a Lemon curd and goat cheese soufflé

On long weekend trips I like to make a classic Boeuf Bourguignon. It's a camp fire favorite.

Laughing

IN the morning its cold coffee and the toenail omelette....

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

morning.. bacon eggs and grits with toast... dinner.. hamburgers.. lunch... beer...
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

1) Acquire Pop Tart
2) Poke a pin hole in the top center of the wrapper to avoid busting open
3) Place Pop Tart near heat riser, under early bay air cleaner. (Type 4 guys go right on the crank case)
4) Drive, 15 minutes around town, 30 on freeway.
5) Open carefully
6) Enjoy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

Ksprague wrote:

For several trips now, I've done this same thing, except I usually do three layers of heavy duty foil, and then wire that to the muffler! Slow cooks on the way! In my experience, a trip of about 2 and a half hours is about right for the muffler of an air-cooled engine. You have to flip it halfway.

The muffler of the TDI motor doesn't seem to get as hot, so it takes longer. I had good success with partially cooking the meat (chunks of roast) prior to a drive of about 4 hours a couple months ago. After 2.5 hours last fall, it took some finishing in the fire before we could eat.

Muffler meals are great because it is nice to have a hot dinner ready as soon as you get to camp, or as a break along the way!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

Tofu. Veggie dogs/ burgers. Whatever wild edible plants or mushrooms that are in season and I can forage. The PNW is great for wild mushrooms. Lobster mushrooms should be starting soon. Mmmm!
odecom5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

I've tried a few recipes from this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Camper-Van-Cookbook-Wheels-Cooking/dp/1444703897

But all I'm really good at is burning meat, so that's mostly what we have.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
1) Acquire Pop Tart
2) Poke a pin hole in the top center of the wrapper to avoid busting open
3) Place Pop Tart near heat riser, under early bay air cleaner. (Type 4 guys go right on the crank case)
4) Drive, 15 minutes around town, 30 on freeway.
5) Open carefully
6) Enjoy

That's how we make soufflé in the engine bay. I'll pick you up some oven liners Robbie Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Jay-C58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

Cereal for breakfast (maybe bacon and eggs if we're feeling adventurous). Garlic sausage, cheese and crackers for lunch. Hotdogs and beans for supper. Maybe spaghetti or taco in a bag if we don't want hotdogs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: