Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who lives in their Eurovan?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
milkandrelish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Who lives in their Eurovan? Reply with quote

I've been planning to do a year-long (or more) trip around the US and Canada in my EVC.

I just purchased it, and I love the van, but I'm quickly realizing how expensive (and inconvenient) repairs can be to the EVC.

Does anyone on here live in their EVC? Do you know anyone who does? If so, what has your experience been like?

I'd love to get a discussion going about the viability of living in an EVC versus another similar camper van either by Volkswagen or another mark.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Who lives in their Eurovan? Reply with quote

The guy in this blog does still I think. He hasn't updated his blog in a while, but was communicated with him earlier in the year related to his van and he was still living in it.

http://travelininbertha.blogspot.com/
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93

Last edited by Joshwa on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
milkandrelish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Who lives in their Eurovan? Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:
The guy in this block does still I think. He hasn't updated his blog in a while, but was communicated with him earlier in the year related to his van and he was still living in it.

http://travelininbertha.blogspot.com/

Amazing! It doesn't look like he talks much about his van on his blog - did you get a sense of what it was like from him?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Who lives in their Eurovan? Reply with quote

visibleink, user name, is a live-in EVC, I believe.

Search for him in this Forum.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Who lives in their Eurovan? Reply with quote

I didn't talk to him about his living situation. Here is his build thread on his van as well.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=392822

and his for sale thread as he wants to get into something larger, if that tells you something.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=471700
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Who lives in their Eurovan? Reply with quote

Years ago we had a customer who lived in T2 bus camper and then upgraded to a T3 Syncro Camper (back when they were new). He was a quirky guy but lived off of a trust fund. I remember fabricating a hitch and holder for it because he had a BMW motorcycle that looked like it was supposed to run in the Paris to Dakar rally. I remember when the head gaskets took a dump and then when the transmission crapped out on him (both were pretty common on those). He packed up the bike and left for a month to go live on the land for both repairs. We'd just store it in one of our building and wait for him to come pick it up. Always paid cash.

He was writing some book but lived pretty basic. Nothing special at all and this was years ago where you didn't have all of the goodies like you do today. He did keep it much cleaner than he did himself.

I think the only reason he kept coming back was because we could care less what was broke or what he wanted. I think most other places turned him down or ripped him off.

That's what happened to our VW Quantum customer. This was the same guy that told me, "The Quantum is a great car but not for mortals."
milkandrelish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Who lives in their Eurovan? Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:
Years ago we had a customer who lived in T2 bus camper and then upgraded to a T3 Syncro Camper (back when they were new). He was a quirky guy but lived off of a trust fund. I remember fabricating a hitch and holder for it because he had a BMW motorcycle that looked like it was supposed to run in the Paris to Dakar rally. I remember when the head gaskets took a dump and then when the transmission crapped out on him (both were pretty common on those). He packed up the bike and left for a month to go live on the land for both repairs. We'd just store it in one of our building and wait for him to come pick it up. Always paid cash.

He was writing some book but lived pretty basic. Nothing special at all and this was years ago where you didn't have all of the goodies like you do today. He did keep it much cleaner than he did himself.

I think the only reason he kept coming back was because we could care less what was broke or what he wanted. I think most other places turned him down or ripped him off.

That's what happened to our VW Quantum customer. This was the same guy that told me, "The Quantum is a great car but not for mortals."

This is what scares me. I wonder- would a mortal be able to handle the cost of average repairs of the Eurovan? Sounds like possibly not.

Thanks for sharing the story.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Who lives in their Eurovan? Reply with quote

I don't think you'd be facing anything different repair-costs-wise living in the van than you would just taking it on lots of trips. Might prove more challenging to find mechanics for in the southeast part of the country (or so I've heard) than, say, a Ford Econoline, but I doubt show-stopper difficult.

As far as living out of a van in general, there is a TON of information out there if you start digging. Entire forums dedicated to the subject. Start searching and you'll find those. Search social networks for hashtags like #vanlife and you'll find even more. It's kind of a "thing" right now -- lots of people ditching their house/apartment/whatever and hitting the road.

I really would encourage you to find some of those forums, because they deal with lots of issues that have nothing to do with what vehicle you're in: e.g. how to make money, deal with the social implications, get packages delivered to yourself, establish residency if you end up on the road more than a year or two, etc., etc.

As far as transitioning yourself into it as a lifestyle, my advice would be to gradually work your way there. Take a bunch of 2-5 day trips -- you'll find out all the little things you weren't thinking about, as far as what to bring and how and where to pack/unpack it with minimal hassle and friction. (Speaking of friction, I'm inferring from how you've described this that you plan on living alone?) Then, take a week-long trip or two, and then some few-week-long trips. At that point you'll start running into "what will the rhythm of life be?" kinds of things -- laundry, when and where to wash and clean the van, how food and meals will work (i.e. sustainably), cell phone and internet connectivity challenges etc.

You'll also learn somewhere along that course of trial runs how good a fit the EVC is for your longer-term goal. Small vehicles have some advantages, and large ones do to. The EVC is right in between. If it's not a great fit for your longer-term goals, you'll probably be fine -- they don't seem to be going down in value much. Wink I've seen more than one "van-lifer" switch horses mid-trip. All part of the journey.
milkandrelish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Who lives in their Eurovan? Reply with quote

IdeaNerd wrote:
I don't think you'd be facing anything different repair-costs-wise living in the van than you would just taking it on lots of trips. Might prove more challenging to find mechanics for in the southeast part of the country (or so I've heard) than, say, a Ford Econoline, but I doubt show-stopper difficult.

As far as living out of a van in general, there is a TON of information out there if you start digging. Entire forums dedicated to the subject. Start searching and you'll find those. Search social networks for hashtags like #vanlife and you'll find even more. It's kind of a "thing" right now -- lots of people ditching their house/apartment/whatever and hitting the road.

I really would encourage you to find some of those forums, because they deal with lots of issues that have nothing to do with what vehicle you're in: e.g. how to make money, deal with the social implications, get packages delivered to yourself, establish residency if you end up on the road more than a year or two, etc., etc.

As far as transitioning yourself into it as a lifestyle, my advice would be to gradually work your way there. Take a bunch of 2-5 day trips -- you'll find out all the little things you weren't thinking about, as far as what to bring and how and where to pack/unpack it with minimal hassle and friction. (Speaking of friction, I'm inferring from how you've described this that you plan on living alone?) Then, take a week-long trip or two, and then some few-week-long trips. At that point you'll start running into "what will the rhythm of life be?" kinds of things -- laundry, when and where to wash and clean the van, how food and meals will work (i.e. sustainably), cell phone and internet connectivity challenges etc.

You'll also learn somewhere along that course of trial runs how good a fit the EVC is for your longer-term goal. Small vehicles have some advantages, and large ones do to. The EVC is right in between. If it's not a great fit for your longer-term goals, you'll probably be fine -- they don't seem to be going down in value much. Wink I've seen more than one "van-lifer" switch horses mid-trip. All part of the journey.

Thanks @Ideanerd, I like you!

I have indeed been listening to a lot of #VanLife podcasts, and I'm getting acquainted with the lifestyle. I have 2 short trips of 3 and 5 days respectively coming in the next 2 months (it's tough to get time off work right now).

My primary concern now that I own the van is scarcity of parts, mechanics, and the high costs that are associated with these things. My EVC seems to be really solid mechanically but you never know!

I see you're in central CA, my parents live up in Monterey area and I'll be up there then. Would love to connect if you're nearby!

-Eli
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Who lives in their Eurovan? Reply with quote

I guess since the Eurovan was a few years away he could have used that as an example but the Quantum must be at the top of his list since he owned one. I think that VW had a bunch of design engineers that were either on crack or just living in some alternate universe when they came up for the interior on those Quantums. Even the exterior was funky. The plastic bumper covers aged terrible. At least it was built on the Audi 80 platform and driveline thus it was a tank. I have always contemplated to build one for LeMons because with the 5 cylinder, it has decent power and you'd pretty much have to drive it off of a cliff to break it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Who lives in their Eurovan? Reply with quote

I had a 4 cylinder Quantum, 1982 , and loved it. SWMBO drove it around the Finger lakes for 5 years of grad school in deep central NY winter

I think it was a 1.7? Drive it to 180k then donated it to charity mission
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Who lives in their Eurovan? Reply with quote

I used to refer to the Quantum as an Audi 4500

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Who lives in their Eurovan? Reply with quote

We had one customer that had a Wagon and he was in the vending machine business. The car was packed full of candy and trinkets.
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Who lives in their Eurovan? Reply with quote

Have you seen this lady's blog and such? - Might help!

http://www.agirlandhervan.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Who lives in their Eurovan? Reply with quote

VAEV1993 wrote:

Just ignore this part - Im sure it ended well...

Quote:
We couldn't find the page you were looking for. This is either because:

There is an error in the URL entered into your web browser. Please check the URL and try again.
The page you are looking for has been moved or deleted.
You can return to our homepage by clicking here, or you can try searching for the content you are seeking by clicking here.

VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Who lives in their Eurovan? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
VAEV1993 wrote:

Just ignore this part - Im sure it ended well...

Quote:
We couldn't find the page you were looking for. This is either because:

There is an error in the URL entered into your web browser. Please check the URL and try again.
The page you are looking for has been moved or deleted.
You can return to our homepage by clicking here, or you can try searching for the content you are seeking by clicking here.

Well - I guess I'm pulling up a cached version, as I haven't seen that error. Hmmm...

There's an instagram handle for that too, so if you can't get the website to work, that is still out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
milkandrelish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Who lives in their Eurovan? Reply with quote

VAEV1993 wrote:

Yes! I've been following her blog and Instagram - thanks for sharing. She's the only person I've seen that lives in one.

The website is loading for me!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Who lives in their Eurovan? Reply with quote

My bad - she has a couple of broken links but the rest is up.

Gulp - don't follow her examples on wiring solar, or that knife she thinks she can defend herself with..
milkandrelish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Who lives in their Eurovan? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
My bad - she has a couple of broken links but the rest is up.

Gulp - don't follow her examples on wiring solar, or that knife she thinks she can defend herself with..

I saw the comments on her YouTube video about her solar panel - this and your comments made me think twice!
njt1rider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Who lives in their Eurovan? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm the feller mentioned above that lives in his EV. I don't post very much but I do lurk quite a bit. I lived in the van for a solid year on the road racking up 65k miles then on and off off a couple months while traveling internationally and more recently I've been renting a room and using the EV as a daily driver. I am actually about to take off on a 3 week trip to Wyoming and I never hesitate to drive the van any amount of distance. I have the van for sale because I plan on continuing to live in a van and the extra room [of a sprinter] would be quite an upgrade. I usually live in the van with a climbing partner (I am a rock climber by trade) and having 2 grown men and a dog living in an EV can be a bit much. I converted mine to TDI and it averages 33 MPG. The maintenance cost isn't much more than any other vehicle but I did basically replace every wear item when I did the swap. I should hit 100k on the swap during my trip this month. Feel free to ask some specific questions and Ill try to keep an eye on this thread and answer or send me a PM and maybe we can chat on the phone sometime...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: