Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one.
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

First post!

I just bought a 1970 Beetle on ebay and was unable to view the car in person, it should be here in a few days. These were the photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hkNvNOHuVUpe3Zlt1
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TFPFvLXMOJ0RAtWS2
And the sellers video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw28eypaB1c

This if my first classic Beetle although I've been reading about them for years.

Just wondering based on what you see is there anything that needs address. I know the body is a little rough, but what about the rest?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Chris333 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

Congrats on the new bug and welcome to TheSamba! You found the right place to show off your new car! Just one observation from not listening to the video...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That may be a problem....
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

This was the description:
Quote:
Paint looks good at 20 feet up close it's a little rough.

Very minor rust, I have bumpers, original air cleaner.

Motor freshly rebuilt, runs great, new generator - 12 volt system.

Minor electrical issues, turn signals and break lights don't function, horn beeps often.

Right wiper doesn't work.

I see the horn will beep because the aftermarket wheel doesn't have the cap and spring.

I also wonder why there is no hole in the front apron, so that may need replacing (to get to the shift rod)

Figured a major re-wire.

Says little rust and the pans looked good, battery area was replaced. But the bodywork is questionable.

And from reading here I know to move the fuel filter and get braided lines Wink

In the video when he revs it, should the engine shake like that?
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

Looks ok, but hard to tell much from the photos or video. The wire mess under the column tells the column, the ignition, or the turn signal mchanism was replaced. That can clean up easy enough.

The body may or may not have questionable repairs, so you have to determine that. Otherwise, I see the correct 205T distributor. It appears to run well. The shaking could be nothing, but it may indicate some worn mounts, or a tuning issue. Since it drives well, enjoy it!

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

That's pretty brave of your, Chris, buying a car based on a video and a few pictures. I really hope it works out for you. From the picture and video, I have the following concerns:

1] The last paint job was done with the fenders on - the fenders are usually taken off to allow the seals to remain unpainted. Makes me think that the paint job was on the cheap side by someone that might not specialize in veedubs. At least he took the bumpers off but forgot to put them back on.

2] It has a look of Bondo under that paint in a few places - bondo that was not sufficiently sanded.

These things might be nothing, but if the previous owner took a sweep-under-the rug approach to body maintenance, then I would worry a little about structural rust. This owner probably gooped something on the undercarriage too making it hard to see if rust is there. Take a long screwdriver and poke around from every angle to see what might be there (or not there). Poke along the heater channels from above and below. Poke behind the rear seat. Poke under the carpets around the pillars. Poke until you arm starts to hurt. Them you will know what you purchased.

I sensed a few dead spots in the engine and maybe a loose valve.. A complete tune up and carb clean out might do wonders. Put the original air filter back on too.

Also, please check the brakes and adjust/replace as necessary. Safety first!

You must be really excited about your new car/hobby. I hope the car fulfils your hopes and dreams.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

You are missing a lot of the cooling components in the engine bay. If you look at the 2:45 mark, you can clearly see the fresh air hoses missing and the openings not capped. Also the rear plate has holes visible. This is really bad for an air cooled engine.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

Looks pretty nice to me overall, yeah just get the heater box hoses for the fan shroud and personally I would swap the air cleaner back to the original VW snorkel style.
A couple of minor nitpicks--wrong steering wheel and wrong speedometer.
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

Did he offer you paperwork on the recent engine rebuild? If not, then it really just a bunch of words. Just like Christmas in August. Enjoy.

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.
Mark Twain

69 bug - "The Grey Ghost"
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

I understand about the body work. He said the paint job looks bad, but it's what's under the paint that looks bad. I think the drivers front fender might be the only "good" one.

I plan to re-build the whole car.

What would be the reason to put the original air breather (it is included with the car) back on?

I paid $2500 for the car, I've seen them listed at that price with the body rusted to the ground on 4 flats and no engine. I'm treating it as a big pile of parts.

The owner thought it would go for $4500-5000.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

Chris333 wrote:
I paid $2500 for the car, I've seen them listed at that price with the body rusted to the ground on 4 flats and no engine.
Just because it's listed that high doesn't mean it will sell for that...
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

$2,500 for a mostly complete and mostly solid car with a running engine is probably about right. The process of rebuilding these cars can provide a great hobby too and will surely cure any boredom issues you might be experiencing. Folks on this site will help along the way. I hope you post plenty of pictures once you begin to take it apart.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

$2500 seems plenty fair. Please post good engine bay pics for the members to point out any safety/performance issues.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

Hey Chris! Welcome!

I only restore 1970 VW Bugs, in horrible shape. I am trying to save as many as my money and THE WIFE allow me to! She is actually really sweet and supportive. If you need any info or advise, PM me. I would be more than happy to share what I know!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

The car should be here on Friday. I've already made my first purchase, a red Bently manual.

Got a long list of stuff I want, but need to touch the car in person first...
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

The Bently should be Orange with Yellow and White lettering on the cover. That book will become your best friend.

Personally, I always write the lug nut torque value on the inside of the cover. That way I can look it up quickly! That is the one value on these cars I just cannot remember. And I have torqued on thousands on wheel bolts!

I also have tabs stuck to several of the pages for easy location of key charts, and info.

Have fun!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

I asked about the engine re-build.

He removed and replaced the pistons and jugs.
Bearings were in good shape case was super clean.
Used stock sized pistons and jugs.
Heads were torqued.
No oil leaks.

Car has been picked up. Smile
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

Post pics Very Happy
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

Well My Bently showed up in the mail and about an hour later the car showed up.

Plus parts:

The rats nest:

Engine:

Rear heat risers were cut off, the car has a new muffler. Maybe he didn't know to drill the holes out Rolling Eyes

The pans look good, but the heat channels were repaired:

The body looks like it was painted with a brush. In some spots there are lumps of filler where the under side of the same spot looks fine? The worse part in the driver door. The bottom needs to shift to the front. the hinge has shims that aren't on the other side.

I does start right up and drive. This is my first time ever sitting in an old Beetle.

I want to get the engine straightened out and see if the heat channels still work. I don't plan to drive in the winter or even rain, but I would like defrosters for the windshield.
Tom Butler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

yeah the wiring in pretty much all beetles look pretty ratty but If it works you are pretty ok. I mean I would for sure look everything over and make sure things work and I remember you were gonna clean up the ignition wires. But dont worry too too much about them (the under hood ones). as long as they work is the important part.

You can get a carpet peice to go over all that stuff and if you get your heater pipes hooked up in there they hide alot of the wiring.

It looks like you may still have heater boxes in there. Post a picture from the underside of the engine to be sure but if they are there it may be pretty easy to get your heat going.

Besides the bentley manual I recommend finding the users manual from VW for your year car it will explain things and put your mind at ease over a few things (pressing the gas half way to start when hot) and other things like what the buttons do (or what they did)

Good luck and if you keep on posting here you will for sure get the knowledge you need to get that bad boy in tip top.

Proud Member Pata De Perro Vw Club

iowegian wrote:
Instead of converting your car to a different color, why not just buy one that is a color you like?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

Hey Chris,

The Bug looks really nice. However, you have a few issues regarding the body, that I can see with just the photos.

Based on past experience, I think your Bug has a bent frame head, or it is buckled up behind the frame head. Since I cannot put my hands on it, it is really hard to prove. Before you invest anything else in the vehicle, you should get someone who knows these cars, body wise (I mean EXPERIENCED), to take a good look at the frame head, the rear wheel wells (for buckling and weld seperation) and the firewall weld (for weld seperation and body folding) at the luggage shelf.

These areas which I am talking about are tell tale areas of these cars when they have been hit by another vehicle above 15 mph.

Some of the deformation in the body structure can only be fixed by full panel member replacement. Others can be repaired with pulling.

That door with the gap which tapers from, on top at 3/16" to 0 at the bottom tells me the car got shortened by something. If it was a heater channel, it may just be welded in incorrectly, but they could have been trying to make the door line up better, from an impact (almost always the reason).

Long to short, get it looked at, and understand that maybe I am just not seeing it correctly sitting way over here. I would not drive the car until after you have someone sign off that the pan and support members are in great shape. And that the body is intact.

Let me know what you find out.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: