Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
DAWGNME
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Popcorn

The Rich Can Buy What Ever They Want.
But!
They Have To Beg For What They Really Need.
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Spent all day clearing the clutch tube and installing the cable Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

This car didn't come with the cable installed so I started cleaning the tube out. Coat hangers only go in so far so I used some spring wire from work, it is about 3/16" dia and one long continuous spring made of thick metal about 8' long. Chucked up to a drill. That goes through without problem. Then twisted the end like a corkscrew and sent it through that way a few times no problem.

Shove the cable in and it kept getting stuck over and over. Ream it over and over still won't go through. I ended up shoving some left over 1/4" gas line all the way through and spinning it with the drill.

Finally the cable goes through.

Now I spend at least 10-12 tries getting the cable hooked to the pedal cluster. Even tried zip tying it like I saw here, still kept falling off. And since I didn't start with an assembled car I didn't know that little plate stops the clutch pedal from moving. Got it on and started threading up the wing nut in the back only to have the pedal fall forward and come unhooked from the cable Mad

And this is all with the body off. Couldn't imagine ever getting it done with body on. It is all on now and I'm cleaning up my blood and think I'll take tomorrow off (from working on the car).
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

I flipped my IRS arms today. Also swapped the spring plates since they have 4 bolts and one is offset. Have 165 tires now so guess I need to go smaller to fit air bags in there and still be this low.

Probably gonna have to skip heater boxes and go with J tubes. This is only a summer car, but I did like the idea of a defroster for the windshield. Oh well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

All right, that does it. We are beilng trolled. I am convinced Chris built this car over a seven year period more than a decade ago and just found a folder full of his pictures on his computer.

Lmao. Just kidding Chris but... My goodness your pace is super human!

I love the forest green and can't wait to see how this car turns out.

Go Chris Go!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Money is the only thing slowing me down Cool

Example of saving money:

I could have just bought one already done for like $500

Ordered drop spindles and lowered ball joints, still a few more warm days! Smile
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

So I haven't touched this all winter, I really hate cold weather and no amount of clothes could get me out there. But now it's warm out! Surprised

Most of what I did so far this year was get the air ride together. I drew up some rear mounts after a bunch of cardboard mock-ups and had them cut on a CNC plasma table.

Also got the beam welded up. Slightly notched the upper arms to clear the air shocks.

Yesterday I sat the body on it and did a little cutting to make it fit. Today I did a pie cut up front. I'm finally happy with how low it sits. The tires are all 145/65-15, they are only 1/4" wider than the 135 tires every one has, but the 135's are tripple the price.

If you remember I also welded in IRS brackets and got rid of the swing axle. The IRS arms were flipped so help the camber when low. I cut off the lower shock mounts and welded them to the other side. Not very exciting, but here is a quick vid. Still need to make upper shock mounts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH9wrmbTPxM
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Wow. Let the season begin!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Glad to see you back at it! Looking awesome. Man that thing is LOW! No speed bumps for you!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Great work Very Happy
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Still working on this everyday and hardly seems like anything is done...

Got the shocks mounted in the rear:

And started making a drag link for the front end:

Gets pretty close to the gas line!

I don't know if I'm going to notch the frame for the bars or not. Some people install limiting straps to keep to front from lifting high enough for the bar to hit.

Also installed new E-brake lines. All the brakes are installed other than the master cylinder. Need to bench bleed that and install. Bleed the whole set up.

Itching to put the body on. Razz
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Getting ready to put the body back on for good (fingers crossed). The engine tins are Rustoleum Hunter Green and the body is a Chevy Spark color that is greenish yellow.

Long way from painting the body, but I figured I would do the engine bay before the rubber and pan go in.

I plan to paint the stock steel rims the hunter green color with the chrome dog dish caps.

I love the light green body color. Do you guys think the dark green goes with it?
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

For the engine, yes. For the rims, if painted fully in the Hunter Green, not really- but that's entirely me. Have you considered painting the stock rims 2-tone, with the centers in your hunter green and the outer rim in a parchment color? Then still fit on the hubcaps? You could always try this scheme on just 1 rim to see if it works for you. You just need to wait 2 days for either of the colors to fully dry before masking and applying the other color.
DAWGNME
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Popcorn

The Rich Can Buy What Ever They Want.
But!
They Have To Beg For What They Really Need.
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

awesome thread dude! i enjoyed reading through the process! do you still have the measurements you used for the drag link setup?
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

panScraper66 wrote:
awesome thread dude! i enjoyed reading through the process! do you still have the measurements you used for the drag link setup?

I can get them for you. Right now I just put the stock tie rods back in with the flip kit on the long side only. I'll play around more with the drag link when I get it running. Besides hitting th tunnel, it was crushing my brake fluid cap.

Since the flip kit bushing uses a 5/8" drilled hole. I used 5/8" Heim joints and bolts:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Economy-Panhard-Bar-Heim-...2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-8-STEEL-CONE-SPACER-HEI...2749.l2649

And DOM 1-1/4" OD .120" wall tubing. I couldn't find it for sale anywhere near me so I had to mail order that as well. After I bought the bolts and shipping it was right at $150 for everything.

I bored out one tube fitting on a lathe so it would slide over the stock tie rod. This is so I could still use the long tie rod end with the dampener mount. I haven't welded anything yet.
zodlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

I did not know you had a build thread. Smile good deal.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8119987#8119

Bagged 69 pile (SOLD)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=591100&start=0
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Welded a mount for the 5 gallon air tank. The tank bolts to it so it can be removed.

The ring of 1x3" tubing around the gas tank hole to lift it 3". Ordered a 1967 tank because I want to weld the gas door shut. Also weld the antenna hole shut.

The compressors are mounted to a 1x6 plank of wood. It will get wrapped in carpet. This board bolts to the edge of the gas tank riser. Sound deadening next!

Oh yeah and I started the motor for the first time in this body Very Happy

Next is figuring out a universal joint for the steering column (because of the pie cut the beam is tilted back) Once I get steering and gas I can go for a spin around the block.
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Guess I forgot to post a step: I put the body on for good now. Got the engine bay seals and motor in:

And after finding the distributor had popped up and stopped spinning. I got it started:
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

And while I'm waiting for my gas tank and steering universal to come in the mail I started to shave the gas door.

outside

inside

The gas tank I ordered is for a 67'. My 68' was born in March so that is close enough for me. I just didn't like the gas door. Smile
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

nice dude! the gas door looks good! i got my template done for mine i just need to cut it out of the donor bug.. did you cut a section out of your donor for your gas door?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 14

Jump to: