Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

panScraper66 wrote:
nice dude! the gas door looks good! i got my template done for mine i just need to cut it out of the donor bug.. did you cut a section out of your donor for your gas door?

Yep from the driver side quarter so the curve matched. It just sort of happened when I woke up today Wink
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Chris333 wrote:
panScraper66 wrote:
nice dude! the gas door looks good! i got my template done for mine i just need to cut it out of the donor bug.. did you cut a section out of your donor for your gas door?

Yep from the driver side quarter so the curve matched. It just sort of happened when I woke up today Wink

right on ya i gotta take mine out of my driver side donor to.. did you trace the pattern on regular or did you reverse it to cut it out
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

I made a cardboard template and just sat it on the other fender till I found a place it fit. I went right below the chrome trim strip, but had to go back further towards the door because of the wedge shape. The curve of the panel still worked.
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Chris333 wrote:
I made a cardboard template and just sat it on the other fender till I found a place it fit. I went right below the chrome trim strip, but had to go back further towards the door because of the wedge shape. The curve of the panel still worked.

good deal.. i wont do any measuring then if it worked good for you.. hopefully it cools down some out here, its hell in the garage right now.. i need to look into a big shop fan.

your engine looks killer to!
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Update.

Got my new gas tank. I bought the cheap one and it was a little wavy around the flange where the 2 pieces meet. It also wasn't square. I pounded it flat and sat it into my frame to trace around the edge. Then trimmed it to fit.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With the tank lifted 3" I shortened the filler tube 1.5". Might as well weld it now before gas goes in it. Shocked

Probably the first time the trunk lid has been on this car in at least 20 years.

And since the frame was pie cut the beam was laid back. I took out the rag joint and replaced it with a super beetle universal. I bored out the end of the crumple zone till it slid into it.

Mounted it the car.

Guess now I will need a horn switch on the dash since the rag joint no long isolates the column shaft from the steering box. And I just bought a new column bearing too.

Today I filled the tank up with gas and started it as a self contained car.
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Yesterday it started on it's own and today the compressors are hooked up and running.

Need to play around with my clutch cable. I though it was set before I put the body on and well it needs to be way tighter than I have it now. Rolling Eyes
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Quick vid of the car going up/down:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=finS0nlXfkw

In other news I have a new carb coming from Volkzbiz Cool

Exhaust was burning my eyes and there was a very slight sent of gas in the oil. Plus I don't think my choke is working. And some of the carb linkage was already worn out and replaced. So I new rebuilt carb should help.

Also had a 30PICT-2 and what I've read a 30PICT-3 came on a single port 1600, so that is what I have coming.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Chris333 wrote:
Quick vid of the car going up/down:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=finS0nlXfkw

In other news I have a new carb coming from Volkzbiz Cool

Exhaust was burning my eyes and there was a very slight sent of gas in the oil. Plus I don't think my choke is working. And some of the carb linkage was already worn out and replaced. So I new rebuilt carb should help.

Also had a 30PICT-2 and what I've read a 30PICT-3 came on a single port 1600, so that is what I have coming.

The 30-3 is a MUCH better carb than the 30-2. Many others including myself think the 30-2 is the worst of the 30 series Solex carbs. I have a restored one on my 69 bug. I'm going to replace it.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Still working everyday. Dug out all of my fenders. The 68 came with 4 new aftermarket fenders. I put them on and they hang down lower than the aprons front and rear. Also where the front fenders met the running boards wasn't really shaped well. I used my best 2 OG fenders on the front and the aftermarkets on the rear.

Here is how they over hung:

I notched about 3/8" out of the lip and pounded them to shape. Also sand blasted and sanded down all the fenders.

I started to work on the trunk lid. There was a dent and a small rust hole. But when I started to strip it the whole thing was full of Bondo. So I'm looking for a new one.

I'm sure some will love or hate my air cleaner. I welded the pre-heat tube opening shut and painted it green. Hey at least I still have the oil bath Razz

And that is my Volkzbiz 30PICT-3 under there. Runs perfect now. Choke works and no more gas smell. (I changed the oil)
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

And the 1970 at the beginning of this. I sold the frame, title, and what was left of the body for $400 to someone to use as a dune buggy. I stripped everything off of it first. All the wire and every nut and bolt,
zodlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Looks good make me want to get moving on mine. Smile
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8119987#8119

Bagged 69 pile (SOLD)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=591100&start=0
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

zodlaw wrote:
Looks good make me want to get moving on mine. Smile

You won't do it Not talking Speak to the hand lol
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Spent all day yesterday striping the deck lid. Today I took it to a place to get louvers punched in it. Didn't do it yet as I'm working on the placement.

These cardboard cutouts are the size of the louvers. 4 will be behind the licence plate, but I think they'll still help.

zodlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Man you are going old school. Wink

Bagged 69 pile (SOLD)
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Way back on page 1 we were talking about the door gap on the 1970 at the bottom rear of the driver door.

I still had that door and today hit it with the 2" sand wheel to see how bad it was. The edge of the door had about 3/16" of Bondo on it:

I have no idea why there was so much and why it was around the edge, but that thing was full of Bondo. Crying or Very sad
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

gotta love finding someone elses work.. thats why i took a light duty paint stripper to take the primer/top coat off.. a lot of the time its a tiny dent and someone used a shit ton of bondo.. so ive been sanding down all the bondo and hammering out the baby dents and dings..

you gonna sand it all off or leave it and work around it?
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

panScraper66 wrote:

you gonna sand it all off or leave it and work around it?

I'm not even using the door I just was curious and hit it with the sander to see how bad it was.

The 68 trunk looked really good until I hit it with the sander. The 70 trunk looked horrible and wavy. Up by the driver side hinge mount there was about 3/4" deep of Bondo Rolling Eyes

Of course I'll be using some filler too, but I'm taking everything down to bare metal. That way I can pound out small dings and put less filler back.

Tonight I got the 2 rear fenders epoxied. Had to use a brush to get up into the wheel lip. But now it is nice and think in there.

I spent a lot of time fitting the lower fender edges to their aprons. Even the 2 front OG fenders needed some work. All 4 fenders were on and off about 10-15 times to get them all fitting right.
zodlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Needs some pictures or it did not happen. Smile

Bagged 69 pile (SOLD)
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Chris333 wrote:

I spent a lot of time fitting the lower fender edges to their aprons. Even the 2 front OG fenders needed some work. All 4 fenders were on and off about 10-15 times to get them all fitting right.

im dreading this part lol.. i keep forgetting to pick up some new bolts when i go to the hardware store.. its weird i think the fender mounts on the new apron are standard thread instead of metric, i wanna bolt up the fenders and line everything up to tac in the apron

what did you epoxy the underside of the fenders for? rust prevention?
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

[quote="panScraper66"]
Chris333 wrote:

what did you epoxy the underside of the fenders for? rust prevention?

It's epoxy primer for direct to metal. It is just a way to seal the metal after removing all the rust. Regular primer for body work does not seal against water or rust.

The whole car is slowly going down to bare metal and then epoxy primer.

It is surprising how many little tiny spots of rust are under perfect factory paint. Like little flaws in the metal that have been there sealed all these years.

About newfender bolts. I just bought 50 of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/8mm-M8-x-1-25-A2-Stainles...2749.l2649

And I ran a tap into all the threads to clean them as I don't think this car has had fenders mounted in about 20 years.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 14

Jump to: