Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Today I did undercoating inside the 2 rear fenders. I used this stuff:
https://www.menards.com/main/paint/exterior-paint-...975924.htm

But added some sand to it to toughen it up a little. Still wet, but here is a look. I used a whole quart on the back (did the rear quarter wheel wells on the body too) and I have another quart to do the front later on:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My plug brought my new trunk lid and the gaps to the body are still there:

You can see the wrinkles in the quarter panels and I knew that it was hit at sometime, but I figured since the PO was doing body work that it all still fit.

The bacon wrinkles don't bother me as they are hidden, but I need to fix the gap. I'm not thrilled about replacing the whole front end so I'm going to try and pull it out a little first.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

It will pull. Get it hooked up to those bumper bracket points and pull. You will need to heat it at the wrinkles and hammer and dolly it. It will go back, but it will take time and muscle!

Looking good!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Chris333 wrote:
Today I did undercoating inside the 2 rear fenders. I used this stuff:
https://www.menards.com/main/paint/exterior-paint-...975924.htm

But added some sand to it to toughen it up a little. Still wet, but here is a look. I used a whole quart on the back (did the rear quarter wheel wells on the body too) and I have another quart to do the front later on:

My plug brought my new trunk lid and the gaps to the body are still there:

You can see the wrinkles in the quarter panels and I knew that it was hit at sometime, but I figured since the PO was doing body work that it all still fit.

The bacon wrinkles don't bother me as they are hidden, but I need to fix the gap. I'm not thrilled about replacing the whole front end so I'm going to try and pull it out a little first.

lookin good! that gap doesnt look to bad.. i think it should pull out rather easy
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

I actually got it to where I'm happy with it already. I started with a car jack between the beam and the back of the spare tire well. Then I bolted some angle iron to the bumper mounts for some leverage there.

This got the passenger side good. For the driver side I borrowed a porta power from work and used a bunch of wood blocks to push the upper apron up and out. Add in some hammer work too.

This doesn't show the gaps, but it is after I threw the fenders and trunk on.

Some minor tuning and I'll be happy.

My goal for this year was to put the body on the chassis and be able to take it around the block. I did that in June so now it would be nice to paint it this year, but I'm not sure if that will happen. What I might do is put the windshield back in it temporarily and get plates and insurance.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

That looks really good. WAY BETTER than that earlier picture!

Good job!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

This happened today:

Still working every day. Sandblast the trunk, epoxy the trunk, sandblast the door, patch the door, epoxy the door. Then I get to start body work...
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Still everyday sanding Crying or Very sad But at least I'm happy I'm that far ahead. Besides painting the car a limeish green I'm also going to put metal flake over it. I tested it out on my wheel barrow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tajFIGIcL0Y

The flake is called "Centipede" by Painthuffers.

I'm also going to do the interior with Dark Green #58 smooth vinyl. I have a sample of the material and I think I'll paint the inside of the doors, dash, and other inside metal a dark green to match the vinyl. Will probably have a local shop make me a green headliner too. Possibly dye the dash pad dark green as well.

I like green. Cool

Long way to worry about interior though. Sand sand sand.
arkitect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Just went thru your build thread. What an amazing amount of work you did, great perseverance. Very Happy

Dave
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Whole car is down to 400 grit. Holy cray it's ready to paint! Razz

I pulled the motor to spray in there. Can't believe I got this far. Haven't even owned this car for a year yet. Glad I put the doors on because the driver door was hitting the heater channel on the under side. The PO put in the channel and the driver door fits better than the passenger. I trimmed the bottom inner edge of the door and it has more room to close now.

Wonder how far I'd be now if I kept building the 1970?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Chris333 wrote:

Wonder how far I'd be now if I kept building the 1970?

Obviously, 2 years behind! Laughing

Your working fast! Nice work
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Masking

Sealer

Basecoat, goes on dull

Binder with metalflake and then clear

I only got 3 coats of 2K clear to "bury" the metalflake. I hope it's enough. I've spent enough on paint.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

I hope you plan on some radical logos to accompany the Gasser green metal flake!

It looks rad. Keep up the good work!
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Quick vid to better show the paint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPVNMk4q8Bk&feature=youtu.be

Still needs sanded and buffed. Possible it will need more clear, maybe not.

Fun fact: I used basecoat/clear coat. The base coat is a binder with color added to it. I used just the binder (it is clear, also dries flat) mixed with the metal flake. A gallon of binder was $118 and the gallon of color was $316. The color is like 99% binder with little bits of color added. Must be $200 worth of color Rolling Eyes
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Excellent color- really vivid! Good going with all your progress so far.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Binder is the cheap part of the paint. The type of elements used for color is where the cost is. Good paint, typically starts with titaniun dioxide. Really expensive stuff, but it is the best! That creates the canvas for the color to "pop" from. The green is a few other elements, also not cheap.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Here is the paint code.

The bottom blue line is what I used to "flake" the car.

GM fresh lime effect

I'm happy with it.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Wow that looks phenomenal.
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

Now I need some cool 1970 style pinstripe ideas. Idea
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

I sanded the whole car down to 600 grit to smooth out the clear with the flake under it. Today I re-shot 2 more coat of clear I guess they call it a "flow coat". The car is much smoother now.

I ordered dark green seats, door panels, and headliner, but they take 6-8 weeks to make. I plan to paint the inside of the doors and dash area a dark green to match those seats. But I have to wait for them.

I ordered a sample of the color, but it was only a 1" square piece.

Does anyone know what colors came with green interior back in 68'?
https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/colour_swatch_volkswagen_1968
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one. Reply with quote

This car is looking Sick! Love the green flake and those chrome smoothies. (Thank you for the link to the fender bolts)
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 14

Jump to: