Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just bought a 1970, now got a 1968. Building that one.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MSBenko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

Chris333 wrote:
MSBenko wrote:
Chris333 wrote:
In the rear were the starter is. There is a bundle of wires not attached to anything (they are not the starter wires. Any idea what these 2 wires went to?

Reverse light switch most likely.

Thank you! So they plug in somewhere at the front of the tranny? I'm sure it will be clear with the body off.

Correct. It should have 2 prongs. One wire goes to the coil and the other should connect to the lights.

75 Standard Beetle
72 Standard Beetle (first car) sold in '96
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

Exactly a week after it drove into the drive way.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The pans have the "nails" in them for the rubber and I don't think any of the after market pans have the nails do they?

Pulled the motor and trans and power washed the pan. Back driver wheel barely spins so either a bearing or the brakes. Will look into it.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

Since the rubber was "nailed" to the pan during assembly, no, the pans would not have nails in them until the rubber was attached.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

Chris333 wrote:
Back driver wheel barely spins so either a bearing or the brakes. Will look into it.

A wheel bearing bad enough to cause the wheel to drag would have made PLENTY of noise! If you drove the car any distance you would have heard it!
Be sure the parking brake fully releases . . .
back-off BOTH adjusting stars for that wheel several clicks . . .
Still dragging? Check for bad wheel cylinder OR bad flex hose for that wheel.

Also, you asked, so take a look at these . . . https://www.amazon.com/17-2878-BRAKE-RESERVOIR-PLASTIC-67-up/dp/B004C3DV5C

PS . . . I have a '70 that I drive daily . . . it is super fun!
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

I pulled the drum and the axle spins free. So I turned in the adjusters all tbe way. It is much more free, but still a little drag. Bently says turn till a slight drag and then back off 3-4 clicks. I can't back off any more.

Can I check the cylinder by trying to sqeeze it more? If no more travel what should I look at next?

Thanks
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

The brake shoe return Springs should be sufficient to cause the wheel cylinder pistons to return.
If you peel back the boots on the wheel cylinders you should be able to see if the piston(s) are sticking out, and not returning.
The pistons could be sticking due to a rusty cylinder, or the rubber flex hose has deteriorated and has swollen closed On the inside where you cannot see it!
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

I took these off today just to clean the bolt and hole threads. I ordered new bushings, but should I replace these plates too?

There is a bubble of rust on the inside. Like this on both sides. I have dual spring plates so I imagine this cover with the spacers for the dual plates is probably hard to find?

Can I buy these?

Thanks
Chris
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

I would try cleaning them with a small wire wheel. If you're not happy with the final product, check the classified section or http://toplineparts.com
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

Thanks. What is the parts official name?
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

2 week anniversary and found more rust Rolling Eyes

Ordered a "HAT" now looks like I need the front bottom plate as well.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

Dude you're killing it. Nice!

Where in Ohio are you?

Last edited by joey1320 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

Warren/Niles area.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

I've done all these rust repairs on my convertible. A few suggestions.

The top hat I bought was the only one available back then. It was garbage and didn't fit well at all. If I did it again, I would of only removed the lower, rusty parts of the top hat where the bolts go though to the body. Then cut those pieces you removed off the new one. Splice them to the remains of the original. I'd do the same to the front firewall where it's rusted at the bottom corners. I removed the whole firewall and it was a nightmare.

You CAN change the heater channel/channels yourself. Bug-me-video made a video on how to do it. You may buy it to get a feel for what's involved. It's not hard as long as you measure, measure some more before welding in the new one. The key to changing the heater channels and floor pans and any other sheet metal is to buy the best quality repair metal you can get. The cheap panels are poorly stamped and are thin metal. You could even get used rust free heater channels and other needed metal off a donor car in the dry SW USA. Check the classifieds. This would be the way I'd go if I did that type of repair again.

My earlier point is don't replace an entire piece or panel unless it's easily removed. It's much easier to splice in new metal to replace the metal that rusted. If you take your time and do it cleanly, it will look great.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

Thanks. I planned to try and just trim the ends off the hat. Even thinking to repair the bottom plate with some 1/8" sheet. Since I plan to lower the car pretty low. I want to weld some reinforcements under the front. Not so much for strength, but for scraping the ground. Would rather scrape a sacrificial bar instead of good VW (or what's left of it)metal. Maybe just some 1" square tubing. Haven't figured it all out yet.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

Chris333 wrote:
I pulled the drum and the axle spins free. So I turned in the adjusters all tbe way. It is much more free, but still a little drag. Bently says turn till a slight drag and then back off 3-4 clicks. I can't back off any more.

Can I check the cylinder by trying to sqeeze it more? If no more travel what should I look at next?

Thanks

That works with new shoes and spec parts but more than likely after market parts are bad radius and need to be adjusted in tight to stop, then 2-3 clicks, then run 100 miles, then readjusted the same way.
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

Today I cleaned the tranny, was black.

While cleaning I noticed a leak at the gap where I drew red lines. Is this a nornal place to leak and can just that gasket be replace.

Or could it just have been because the tranny was up side down for cleaning?
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

Chris- very good job cleaning the trans. Will you spray a solvent-resistant clear on it to prevent oxidation, and seal off the surface porosity? You'll need to be very diligent to wipe the entire surface, and all corners with a lacquer thinner/"Prep-Sol" type cleaner.

VW painted their Type 1 transmissions semi-gloss black at the factory in the mid '60's, though I'm nearly certain that practice was dropped a few years before your car was built. Local friend is the original owner of a '65 Ghia cabrio, and when he had the trans rebuilt about 10 yrs ago due to some weak synchros, he noted it was all-black.

The part of the transmission to the left (frontwards) of that parting line is known as the nose cone. There actually is a very small weep/vent hole on top, no more than 1/8" diameter. It's very possible that some trans fluid dripped out of there when you had the trans upside-down. I suggest cleaning off the oil with brake clean spray, placing a clean paper towel under the nose cone seam, and simply monitor for any drips during the week with the trans in the position shown. Replacing the gasket there is a good idea due to the age and overall hard life of the drivetrain, but if there are no leaks after a week with the trans in the normal position you can probably get away without the replacement.

Will you plan on draining and replacing the trans fluid? Now is the best time with it out; you have best access to the filler hole (17mm hex insert; or take a 17mm headed bolt and double-nut two nuts on the threads so you can grip the nuts with a wrench and loosen the filler plug).
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

Thank you. I didn't know about the weep hole. Will wipe it down a keep checking.

When I say it was black, I mean it was dirt, tar undercoating, oil stained color. I don't think it was painted at all. I know my pressure washer didn't touch the grime. It took all day with de-greaser and many wire brushes. Did down in the corners with a drill, but the rest was by hand starting by digging out the thick crud first.

Yes I plan to change the trans-fluid before putting it back in the car. Have a 17mm allen socket.

EDIT: I just checked and see the small weep hole at the top front. Would have never noticed that on my own...

Last edited by Chris333 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

Does it need to be protected somehow? Because if I need to paint it I think it'll need sand blasting for that. So many small nooks and crannies.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Reply with quote

Your transmission would not have been painted from the factory. You don't need to do anything to it.

And sandblasting a transmission is a big nope. It would require you to completely disassemble it afterwards to get out all of the blasting media that gets forced in through all the mating surfaces and seals. There were some pictures somewhere on here showing the aftermath of sandblasting and it wasn't pretty.

Found a pic. pretty, yes?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 14

Jump to: