Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RHD '73 pedal assembly... more issues!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davince
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: RHD '73 pedal assembly... more issues! Reply with quote

Over a decade away from bugs has really left me rusty on this, almost as rusty as the box of random bits of bug I have!

Can anybody describe / show pictures of exactly how the pedal assembly originally went together? Mine was in a box in what I assumed was the correct order, but when it comes to the pivot plate on the LHS of the tunnel...

I have the pivot plate with the main pedal shaft going into it, I then have the throttle lever to push on the end of the arm, with a split pin to hold it in place. the way it was in the box, there is a thin sprung washer (curvy not split) that was between the arm and the pivot plate.

Only problem is when I put the assembly on the pad, the throttle arm only goes on a short way and the wavy washer just floats about in mid air - so I'm guessing that's not where it went originally! Any clues? Does it go between the pedals, or between brake pedal and RHS of assembly...

is it normal for there to be quite a bit of float left to right in the throttle assembly in the pedals?

Many thanks!
garyloos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: RHD '73 pedal assembly... more issues! Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWKzkAYr70s

Check out this you tube video.

1972 Super Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PJMS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: RHD '73 pedal assembly... more issues! Reply with quote

There is a small thick flat washer that should be at the right hand side of the main mounting shaft, into which the throttle shaft goes. Is this in place? if not, that might be why you have too much play in the set up, as you appear to have put the spring washer in the correct location.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: RHD '73 pedal assembly... more issues! Reply with quote

Maybe these will help:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I found them here:
http://www.jimellisvwparts.com/
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
PJMS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: RHD '73 pedal assembly... more issues! Reply with quote

In the second image, #25 is the flat washer I referred to. #39 is the spring washer ("thin sprung washer") mentioned in the first post.
Davince
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: RHD '73 pedal assembly... more issues! Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I'd found the first of those two diagrams and couldn't' see the thin spring washer, the second diagram does seem to show it clearly!

So the next question is... why is it doing absolutely nothing but floating around on mine! The thick flat washer is in place on the RHS of the pivot shaft, but it's all very loose in there!
PJMS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: RHD '73 pedal assembly... more issues! Reply with quote

Have you carried out any work to the floorpan area under the pedals?
Davince
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: RHD '73 pedal assembly... more issues! Reply with quote

PJMS wrote:
Have you carried out any work to the floorpan area under the pedals?

It's got two complete new floorpans, there weren't any on there at all to start with lol - but it's doesn't even need to be bolted up to see the slop, the slop is in the throttle assembly within the pedal set - almost as though something is missing, a bushing or something, between the end of the pivot bar and the throttle arm.
PJMS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: RHD '73 pedal assembly... more issues! Reply with quote

OK. I don't think you can assess it that way. It actually needs to be installed as the bearing plate on the left hand side is located, laterally by the tunnel wall. Looking at it as an uninstalled assembly would allow the bearing plate to move to sit further to the right, away from the accelerator arm. You could measure the distance, on the chassis, from right hand floor mounting point to the outside of the left hand side of the tunnel (measured through the access holes). Then compare this to the same points on the pedal assembly and see if you have to push the bearing plate outward, to get the measurement.
Davince
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: RHD '73 pedal assembly... more issues! Reply with quote

PJMS wrote:
OK. I don't think you can assess it that way. It actually needs to be installed as the bearing plate on the left hand side is located, laterally by the tunnel wall. Looking at it as an uninstalled assembly would allow the bearing plate to move to sit further to the right, away from the accelerator arm. You could measure the distance, on the chassis, from right hand floor mounting point to the outside of the left hand side of the tunnel (measured through the access holes). Then compare this to the same points on the pedal assembly and see if you have to push the bearing plate outward, to get the measurement.

oh I have previously bolted it up, that's when I realised something was wrong to start with!
PJMS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: RHD '73 pedal assembly... more issues! Reply with quote

Davince wrote:
oh I have previously bolted it up, that's when I realised something was wrong to start with!

Then, assuming there is nothing wrong with the way you have assembled the pedals (sounds fine to me), I would look at whether the right side mounting point, on the right hand replacement pan half, is located in the correct position. There is supposed to be a diagonal plate (5mm thick) welded to the top side (inside) of the pan, which has threaded holes for fixing the mounting bracket. If these holes are located too far to the left, then the problem you have will occur.

So, my first question is: Do you have that diagonal mounting plate (or any plate)? Photo would be nice.

My second question is: What ever you do have, what distance are the centre of these holes from the right-hand side of the tunnel? I have the measurements somewhere so will endeavour to look them up.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: RHD '73 pedal assembly... more issues! Reply with quote

Yes, post pics pls.

Here is a thread for a Ghia where the poster had to make a new base plate.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=484044&postorder=desc
There are pics of the early style pedal cluster (bent brake/clutch pedal arms) and the later style (straight pedal arms). Note that the point where the tabs on the throttle arm contact the right side of the brake pedal/thick washer is much closer on the earlier pedals. So if you happen to be using a later accelerator arm/rod with an early pedal cluster you would have a lot of excess slop. I'm wondering if this is your problem?
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Davince
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: RHD '73 pedal assembly... more issues! Reply with quote

will endeavour to get photos shortly - the front of the pan isn't standard, the replacement pans didn't have the mounting points on nor the 5mm plate, but as I was reworking the whole area I wasn't too worried. I took the measurements for the holes off another '73 bug that I happened to bump into (not literally, thankfully) as it reversed out a neighbours drive - will measure that up too.

That other thread certainly helped me identify one thing - just how bad the replacement pans I got are. In fact I think I've got the NS pan for a RHD and the OS for a LHD...

Not that it matters in this instance. I've decided to ditch much of the original stuff and rebuild something I know that works lol
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: