Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What would you do with this 52 Zwitter?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonecollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

If I was the buyer I think I'd probably clear the bare metal, put it back together right down to the builders badge that came with it and drive it to every event I could find.

Link

WWW.VOLKSWEAR.COM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

That's not exactly an unknown car....

But why would the new owner opt to re-restore what was pretty much a show-car restoration done only a year earlier?
banana split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

Holy crap! That car is brutal !! Shocked
I feel for the poor owner of that car Sad
1964 Chop Top
v.a.s.cleaning
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

Shocked omg
that's not so good
damm not 1 feller so this at the aktion??
damm Confused
parts car i gess now
66 sundial camper
66 karmann ghia cabrio
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

This kind of incident highlights the value of obtaining a photographic record of the work that was done. For a 70K purchase I would expect significant objective evidence supporting the claimed value. Also, there's no substitute for doing one's homework and researching what is correct.....before looking at any cars for sale.
vwhelmot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

Wrong section. Its not a Zwitter! :D

I would be wanting my money back.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

Shocked o shit!
If it were my car I probably would not have taken it apart, let alone to bare metal if it was in show condition to begin with. Then again, I would not pay $70k for a Volkswagen either.
But really, Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwhelmot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

There is more than one meaning to 'show car' It probably looked dodgy in a few places. The rag to bolster up the rear luggage compartment carpet covering up the huge dent in the boot floor is a classic!
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

saw this all over instagram. i believe they saw that the 3 fold was a graft, and some other small thing and the owner decided to redo the car and after it was blasted, well it is gnarly!!!!!
12/62 French 11 Window Bus
Wedge VW
Pandraggers C.C.
banana split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

Anyone know who built this Frankenstein ?
1964 Chop Top
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

Just Google "1952 VW zwitter ragtop" and you'll find photo galleries and Youtube clips about the restoration.
fazeka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

The title of the thread and the OP is asking: what would I do with it?

Well, if I had bought it and I started to see this upon tear down, firstly I would be pissed Evil or Very Mad that I spent $70k on it...

After that, though, and the subsequent inevitable cool off, I would probably just try to get some better metal work happening in the conversion. Would never try to pass it off as original but just enjoy it as it is.

At least I could drive it with no fear of it getting ripped off, damaged in an accident, etc.

No doubt, a big price to pay for a fake. But... what would be the alternative?
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

The biggest crime is that all of the work was kept a secret, and the car was passed off as an original, when the seller knew it wasn't.

If someone posted a thread detailing that much work to cobble a split back together from so many small pieces, I would have been impressed. But yeah, misrepresenting the car as something it's not is horrible.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

I'd probably clean it up and fix any really awful repairs put it back together as a car with a split rear window and a ragtop that could be enjoyed and driven. Maybe put in a roll cage and a really big engine and race it.

The shop that has it now better be careful of stating that they will "fix" it or make it right.

There is no fixing the fraud.

I sorta like the idea of clearing it and driving it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

René R. wrote:
Just Google "1952 VW zwitter ragtop" and you'll find photo galleries and Youtube clips about the restoration.

Based on what I found online the shop that restored it to that condition started with a black "zwitter ragtop" that had a slightly worn restoration along with funky red upholstery and disk brakes all around. Based on the pictures they didn't strip it to bare metal although you can see a lot of new and old bondo in various pictures. It looks like they just smoothed out the existing body work and painted it.

The work looks like the typical "smooth it all over with bondo" type of job but they don't appear to have been the ones who did all of the surgery to build this monstrosity.

EDIT:After reading more info about the ownership history of this car and I am withdrawing anything that comes across as siding with the shop that did that work.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld

Last edited by splitjunkie on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
ajl1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

esde wrote:
The biggest crime is that all of the work was kept a secret, and the car was passed off as an original, when the seller knew it wasn't.

If someone posted a thread detailing that much work to cobble a split back together from so many small pieces, I would have been impressed. But yeah, misrepresenting the car as something it's not is horrible.

I totally agree with you. That is the point, IMO this so called "VW Shop" could not have miss any of the things that were wrong with this car, looking at the gallery on the build you can tell, they are obvious if you know what you are looking at.

I really feel bad for some people, new enthusiasts that are looking at a shiny paint, nice pictures, good video of a car and a great advertisement tool.
From what I saw on a website this guy knows how to take nice pictures and make movies, he was a film maker after all, its on his website. I wont even believe the sparkle effect on his pictures.
He took us all for a ride, that is for sure. This is no fair to the people, this is not fair to the enthusiasts!
Lastly, what do you expect from a guy that uses Home Depot stuff to restore a bug.
What a shame !

P.S : "Concours-quality restoration cars are often given upholstery, paint, plating, and mechanical restoration to a standard far exceeding that of the car when it was new". Imaging a non Concours quality restoration from this guy.
Look at Lenny Copp builds, down to the metal, flawless, done right and trusty honest guy.
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd probably clean it up and fix any really awful repairs put it back together as a car with a split rear window and a ragtop that could be enjoyed and driven.

Just guessing but I'd imagine that doing all the metal work needed, then repainting to a high standard, could cost $20K or more. Add that to the $70K allegedly spent to buy it in the first place and the owner could be out close to $100K for a car that is known to be a cobbled frankenwagen. Sounds like good money after bad.

Of course, if the owner could get a decent settlement from the last restorer that might make it economically viable. That would depend upon whether a settlement could be negotiated without going to an expensive trial.

Quote:
Based on the pictures they didn't strip it to bare metal although you can see a lot of new and old bondo in various pictures. It looks like they just smoothed out the existing body work and painted it.

Looking at the restoration pictures in the restorer's gallery I find it hard to imagine that they didn't encounter some evidence of hacked repairs. How did they strip the old black paint if not by blasting? How could they overlook so much bondo?

I will be curious to find out what the new owner decides to do....
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

René R. wrote:
Quote:
I'd probably clean it up and fix any really awful repairs put it back together as a car with a split rear window and a ragtop that could be enjoyed and driven.

Just guessing but I'd imagine that doing all the metal work needed, then repainting to a high standard, could cost $20K or more. Add that to the $70K allegedly spent to buy it in the first place and the owner could be out close to $100K for a car that is known to be a cobbled frankenwagen. Sounds like good money after bad.

Of course, if the owner could get a decent settlement from the last restorer that might make it economically viable. That would depend upon whether a settlement could be negotiated without going to an expensive trial.

Quote:
Based on the pictures they didn't strip it to bare metal although you can see a lot of new and old bondo in various pictures. It looks like they just smoothed out the existing body work and painted it.

Looking at the restoration pictures in the restorer's gallery I find it hard to imagine that they didn't encounter some evidence of hacked repairs. How did they strip the old black paint if not by blasting? How could they overlook so much bondo?

I will be curious to find out what the new owner decides to do....

EDIT:After reading more info about the ownership history of this car and I am withdrawing anything that comes across as siding with the shop that did that work.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld

Last edited by splitjunkie on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:10 am; edited 2 times in total
ajl1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

IMO I think we are missing the point here.
1. You can't call a Concours restoration unless you bring the car to bare metal. You need to know exactly what you are dealing with in the first place. That's what most reputable and honest shops do. Then you fix the problematic area and move on. Call it something else but don't mislead people.
2. If you can't tell from what is original and what is not, you are a failure as a business man unless you looked the other way.
3. If you sell a car as something that is not, what do you call it ? Fraud ? Scam ?

So now tell me what happened with this build.
Look at this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDiQUG1GNsQ&feature=youtu.be

and this one ; (look at min 2:47)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPWRiMPiZqQ

and this one :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avcMhRbJgCs

and why a collectable car as the Zwitter is this was never done according to the photos on the gallery.
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do with this 52 Zwitter? Reply with quote

This is a piece of shit fraudulent hack job. And the "shop" that did it knew it. If they didn't, they are completely incompetent, and if so, that fact needs to be known as well.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: