Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Funny wiring problems 78 bus
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Funny wiring problems 78 bus Reply with quote

This thread also reminds me that I need to do a little work on the electrics on my bus. I have a leaky windshield gasket too. Not a big issue in quick heavy rain, but if the same amount comes down in a longer amount of time, it starts to work it's way in, and will end up in the relays. I forget about this until I drive the bus and have a problem, such as last week.

My plan (perhaps this afternoon) is to pull the relays, take them apart to dry out (usually the case just snaps on), and drill tiny drain holes in the cases. I'll also smear the tops with dielectric grease to help prevent water from even being able to get in there.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Funny wiring problems 78 bus Reply with quote

Years ago when most windshield were set in rubber gaskets, 3M made a great product called "Window Weld Reseal". It cam in a 20 oz can, looked like black gasket goo, and you had to buy their own applicator which was basically a Plews pump oiler with a skinny tip. You could drizzle this stuff behind the lip of the windshield gasket and it was good for another 5 years or more.
Grounds: D bays also have multi ground on the inner body under the dash somewhere? This is definitely a trouble spot on Vanagons. Seems to be right in the drip path from the leaking w/s gasket.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Funny wiring problems 78 bus Reply with quote

So the Goon Squad probably roughly handled your wiring. The fuses are easily disturbed in this design, and fragile to handling owing to their exposed filament. Check your terminals on the fuse block... remove the two anchoring screws and gently drop it down. Maybe one of the spade terminals has become loose.

There is a ground tree near center on the forward wall about where the windshield wiper motor is.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny wiring problems 78 bus Reply with quote

If you do this ^^^ (and it's not a bad idea), be sure to disconnect the battery ground strap first. This prevents fire and flame, should one of the heavy red or black wires come off the fuse block.

Another thing: if you have a Dremel tool, the SS brush cleans up brass terminals and steel ground points quite nicely. Also does a good job on the fuse holder ears. Coat terminals with a thin film of dielectric grease after cleaning. On wire terminals, the critical contact point to buff is the inside flat area between the terminal ears.

Quick typical color codes and connecting terminals:
Red = unswitched battery power (terminal 30)
Black = (ignition) switched battery power (terminal 15)
Brown = ground (terminal 31)
other colors = connections between switches and loads

Suggestion:
(a) download the .jpg schematic for your model year from Technical on this site to a flash drive.
(b) take the flash drive to Kinkos (or your local equivalent) and have it printed as a color 11" x 17". Then have them laminate it. Total cost: around $8.
Now you have a handy indestructible schematic you can work with and mark up with an erasable marker as you trace out your wiring issues.

Personally, I recommend a 1" length of 1/4" heat shrink tubing on (at least the big red and black) wire terminals, to insulate them in case something falls or comes loose.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Funny wiring problems 78 bus Reply with quote

Thats a good idea-having the wiring diagram laminated.

When I did the wiring for my TDI motor, I found a diagram where someone had photoshopped all the pages from the Bentley diagram into one big file. I had that printed out on poster-sized paper and was able to draw on it as I traced circuits and decided what I didn't need and all that.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: