Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New T-3 A/C Kit from Gilmore?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dad23boys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: New T-3 A/C Kit from Gilmore? Reply with quote

Thinking about putting A/C on my 72 Fastback. I noticed Gilmore finally came out with there T-3 kit. I think this system deals with some of the problems the dealer set up had. The modern compressor only takes 1.25-1.5 hp according to the web page. A weed eater could handle this compressor but nothing else of course. The under dash unit is smaller and dose not seem to take as much space as the old dealer set up therefor it doesn't block as much of the access to the wiring under the dash. The draw backs I see is it looks like it takes away the space for the spare tire and it says it's only for 64-70 so not sure if there would be a way to make it work with the later model dash like my 72 has. I guess I'd have to call and ask about that. Also if drilling a few holes in your car makes you week in the knees it might not be for you as well. Has anybody out there used one of Gilmore's other ac kits on a type 1 or 2? Do they work good or have you had any issues after put in service. They have been promising an AC kit for type 3s for many years on their web page. Now it looks like they have one. It would make my car much more pleasant to drive about 5 months out of the year for this part of the country. Any thoughts good bad or ugly on this set up? Although it may be a while before I can scrape up the almost $1700 for the kit. Here is a link.
http://www.gilmore-enterprises.net/inc/sdetail/air...it/138/551
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Intrinsic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: New T-3 A/C Kit from Gilmore? Reply with quote

What is the amperage draw of the cabin fan and the two evaporator fans?

On FI I measured that there are only 3 spare amps with O/E the generator, so you might have to upgrade to an alternator to run all of the car's electrics reliably.
Intrinsic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: New T-3 A/C Kit from Gilmore? Reply with quote

From the photos, it looks like the evaporator takes up the spare tire well. How will you plan to seal this area from the rest of the front trunk?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: New T-3 A/C Kit from Gilmore? Reply with quote

why does it need to be sealed? Not sealed on any other car I've ever worked on. You're meaning because of the (assumed) pulling fans?
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: New T-3 A/C Kit from Gilmore? Reply with quote

from the looks of the pictures on the web site the compressor sits right in front of the fresh air intake for the air cleaner.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: New T-3 A/C Kit from Gilmore? Reply with quote

I wonder why they couldn't shorten up the condensor brackets and allow you to use your spare tire well for your spare tire? VW dealers installed their condensors in the same area, and still kept the spare tire carrier in place, and they were using the old style electric fan motors (that stuck out 4 inches) versus those flat fan motor set up.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: New T-3 A/C Kit from Gilmore? Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
from the looks of the pictures on the web site the compressor sits right in front of the fresh air intake for the air cleaner.

I did note that their web site only talks about mounting the system with carburetors and seems to ignore the possibility that one might have stock fuel injection on the engine.
Intrinsic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: New T-3 A/C Kit from Gilmore? Reply with quote

Regarding sealing the trunk, with the spare tire well open to the elements, there would be a potential for spray to get into the trunk and any contents on rainy days.

Also, air flow to the evaporator would be more effective if managed, and the hollow cavity of the front trunk, open to this airflow would complicate evaporator airflow management.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: New T-3 A/C Kit from Gilmore? Reply with quote

ok, I get what you are saying. Yeah, it's a trunk for a reason and should still be able to be used as a trunk. Also after I thought about it, dirt going around and then sucked through the condensor fins isn't smart either
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: New T-3 A/C Kit from Gilmore? Reply with quote

Not for '71-up either due to the changed fresh air system under the dash.
dad23boys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New T-3 A/C Kit from Gilmore? Reply with quote

Intrinsic wrote:
What is the amperage draw of the cabin fan and the two evaporator fans?

On FI I measured that there are only 3 spare amps with O/E the generator, so you might have to upgrade to an alternator to run all of the car's electrics reliably.

Don't know. Guess that would be another question for Gilmore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dad23boys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New T-3 A/C Kit from Gilmore? Reply with quote

Intrinsic wrote:
From the photos, it looks like the evaporator takes up the spare tire well. How will you plan to seal this area from the rest of the front trunk?

That's one of the things I noticed on that too. Not sure why they done it like that as opposed to the way the old dealer installed system was setup in this area unless its because they use a bigger condenser for more cooling efficiency. I guess you would have to make some kind of plate to cover and seal all that and keep the spare in the upper part of the frunk.
dad23boys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New T-3 A/C Kit from Gilmore? Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:

Yes I would make some kind of duct work to go around that and hook you air cleaner back up to it. I'd have to look at it in person to see how.
dad23boys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New T-3 A/C Kit from Gilmore? Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
I wonder why they couldn't shorten up the condensor brackets and allow you to use your spare tire well for your spare tire? VW dealers installed their condensors in the same area, and still kept the spare tire carrier in place, and they were using the old style electric fan motors (that stuck out 4 inches) versus those flat fan motor set up.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe it's like I said in a earlier post on this thread maybe they need the room for a bigger condenser or a bigger fan for the condenser. Have to ask Gilmore on that one as well I guess. Would be nice if they had someone to get on here and explain some of this.
dad23boys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New T-3 A/C Kit from Gilmore? Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
W1K1 wrote:

I did note that their web site only talks about mounting the system with carburetors and seems to ignore the possibility that one might have stock fuel injection on the engine.

I thought I read somewhere on their webpage where they said they could build it for FI cars like mine. Or maybe I just imagine it getting old Embarassed lol
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New T-3 A/C Kit from Gilmore? Reply with quote

you could hang it off the lower driver side, we have seen that before

Ed at Gilmore has a solid rep for being helpful. I'd email or call him
dad23boys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: New T-3 A/C Kit from Gilmore? Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
you could hang it off the lower driver side, we have seen that before

Ed at Gilmore has a solid rep for being helpful. I'd email or call him

Yes I plan on doing that just wanted to bounce it off others on here first.
So Ed is the guy to talk to?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: New T-3 A/C Kit from Gilmore? Reply with quote

Dude, you would need to want an AC real bad to fit this. Most of it looks like its just a clever, quick install with over the counter parts (which it is due to expense). The nicest piece is the under dash part for sure.

The compressor placement is an issue for any stock config as there isnt even roof for any standard oil bath to fit there.

That said if you really want AC then I think this is a good start but needs to be worked to make it look and preform better than what I see.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: New T-3 A/C Kit from Gilmore? Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Dude, you would need to want an AC real bad to fit this. Most of it looks like its just a clever, quick install with over the counter parts (which it is due to expense). The nicest piece is the under dash part for sure.

The compressor placement is an issue for any stock config as there isnt even roof for any standard oil bath to fit there.

That said if you really want AC then I think this is a good start but needs to be worked to make it look and preform better than what I see.

Have you spent any time in Alabama in the summer? It's hot AND humid (1 of the reasons you moved from Texas to Washington).

Ideally I'd suggest contacting Tram, and see what he recommends, as he's done a couple of AC installs in the last couple of years using modern components. And yes, some of those installs had stock type 3 FI. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: New T-3 A/C Kit from Gilmore? Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
notchboy wrote:

That said if you really want AC then I think this is a good start but needs to be worked to make it look and perform better than what I see.

Have you spent any time in Alabama in the summer? It's hot AND humid (1 of the reasons you moved from Texas to Washington).

Ideally I'd suggest contacting Tram, and see what he recommends, as he's done a couple of AC installs in the last couple of years using modern components. And yes, some of those installs had stock type 3 FI. Cool

I would rather put my balls in a vice and hit them with a ball peen hammer than spend a summer in Alabama.

Like I said. Real bad. Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: