Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A/C compressor not compressing - but the clutch appears to work.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: A/C compressor not compressing - but the clutch appears to work. Reply with quote

I was hoping to be at the end of my long-running A/C saga (compressor blow-up [replaced], leaks, deer collision [new condensor], expansion valve...) when I had the last tiny leak fixed yesterday.

This morning, being full of hope this was the final time, I set out to re-charge the system yet again.

Hmm - very odd pressures being shown! Having started with a vacuum, 70-80psi show on both sides of the compressor after just 3/4 of a 6oz can of Envirosafe had gone in. The compressor clutch is engaged and spinning just fine.

In case it's of any import, this is a Zexel compressor in an EJ22 from a 1995 Legacy.

I'm hoping someone with much more experience than me in these things can offer some explanation of what's broken inside...
Farf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C compressor not compressing - but the clutch appears to work. Reply with quote

Double check that the compressor is actually spinning, the central hub of the clutch/drive assembly should be spinning. Are the gauge manifold valves shut? If you remove the belt and engage the clutch how much resistance do you feel when you try to spin the compressor by hand?
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C compressor not compressing - but the clutch appears to work. Reply with quote

The only bit of the central hub that's visible is the bolt on the clutch end - that's on tight and spins with the clutch. The clutch turns fairly easily by hand, there's a slight 'bump' felt at one point on the circuit.

Manifold and gauges are disconnected at the moment. If anyone's suspecting I had the wrong valves open on the manifold - no I didn't, I was double-checking all the time, and I've re-charged this system quite a few times over the last months to get around the last tiny elusive leak.

My best guess is that one or more of the compressor valves are buggered - but I've never had a compressor apart so can only rely on youtube to get an idea of the innards. How a valve or two might have been damaged is a mystery.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C compressor not compressing - but the clutch appears to work. Reply with quote

Its no mystery, you had a compressor self destruct which filled the system with debris. A bit of that debris came back to haunt you.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C compressor not compressing - but the clutch appears to work. Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Its no mystery, you had a compressor self destruct which filled the system with debris. A bit of that debris came back to haunt you.

That's a possibility I suppose - but the original compressor failure was just the pulley bearing - that started to seize up without the A/C being invoked at all. I'm also pretty sure the whole system got flushed and evacuated by the A/C chaps that Buslab use after that event.

Anyway, I guess this compressor is now toast - I assume they're not readily repairable?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C compressor not compressing - but the clutch appears to work. Reply with quote

Ah.....l

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C compressor not compressing - but the clutch appears to work. Reply with quote

I've just ordered a second-hand one I spotted on eBay - grand sum of $70. Seller states it was working when removed - we'll see. In any event, that's cheap enough to take a punt on it.

I'll report back when I've got the system working again with post-mortem results on the duff compressor. With pics... Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: