Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

urgently needed in PDX: new or used front outer syncro CV joints
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
henchman26
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: urgently needed in PDX: new or used front outer syncro CV joints Reply with quote

All,
I don't get on here very often but I know a few of you folks, I am Zach from northwest mogfest, with the gray paisley crewcab mog, famous for giving rides through the pits...

I also am a syncro guy, and I just stripped the spindle threads on *both* my front CVs, and we are supposed to go on a trip tomorrow! If anyone has a set of used/junk front CVs that I could pick up tonight or early tomorrow in the PDX area I would really appreciate it. Hopefully near Hillsboro. They can be junk as long as the threads and splines are good, my front diff is out and l I only need these to hold the wheels together. I am willing to pay some $$ if they will do the job.

Alternatively, if someone has a set of new unused units I would buy those as well, for a little more than what Van Cafe is asking.

Thanks in advance!

-Zach
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: urgently needed in PDX: new or used front outer syncro CV joints Reply with quote

Zach, I don't have any used ones, but I do have new outers available. The only issue is that I'm up in the Seattle are. Not a horrible drive, so it's an option if you need.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
henchman26
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: urgently needed in PDX: new or used front outer syncro CV joints Reply with quote

Thanks I appreciate the info, but I have used ones at my shop in Olympia too... I *almost* brought them down to Hillsboro last trip but thought "nah, I don't need that junk laying around"
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: urgently needed in PDX: new or used front outer syncro CV joints Reply with quote

Sorry to hear. No help on the joints but just curious as a fellow syncronaut, how did you strip the spindles on both?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
henchman26
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: urgently needed in PDX: new or used front outer syncro CV joints Reply with quote

To be honest I am not sure. I installed these close to 10 years ago, I am super-picky about cleaning things, starting fasteners by hand, using loctite or antiseize as needed, correct torque, etc. and I generally don't have problems like this. I sprayed them with kroil and then hit them with the rattle gun expecting them to spin right off, but they got "tight" so I finished by hand, it took a lot of effort to get the nuts to turn, and when I got it apart the threads were trashed. The rattle gun is a factor, but on the other hand I don't see why these threads should be much different than a lugnut or any other axle nut.

It looks like the threads closest to the washer welded together, and then turning this gunked up bit past all the other threads ruined everything...

Will post pics.
henchman26
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: urgently needed in PDX: new or used front outer syncro CV joints Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: urgently needed in PDX: new or used front outer syncro CV joints Reply with quote

To get on the road can you source some new nuts, a die and a handfull of washers and space over that buggered thread area?

I'm not a syncro guy, I don't know exactly how it all goes together, but your photo clearly shows some good useable outer thread.

Found this drawing......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: urgently needed in PDX: new or used front outer syncro CV joints Reply with quote

You could even use spacers and double-nut the remaining threads. It just needs to internally support and retain the hub bearings.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: urgently needed in PDX: new or used front outer syncro CV joints Reply with quote

I 3rd the above statements. Roll an extra washer and rattle up a new nut on the good threads. Weird how it buggered only the inward threads. I have removed some stubborn ones and galled the end threads... just ground them down and installed a new nut. Is the other axle the same?
henchman26
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: urgently needed in PDX: new or used front outer syncro CV joints Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice from everyone. The thick washer solution was on my list of options, but Tom Lengyel was nice enough to set me up with a set of used CVs, so I think I am good to go.

FWIW I am 99% sure this failure was due to over-torquing during install. The threads closest to the washer would be the first to fail as they are jammed up against the washer, so they get smooshed and deformed if you turn past the critical point. I will have to take more care this time around.

Zach
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: