Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

Anyone out there know of a source to purchase the Pieseler Ball Joint tool 459? Or an equivalent? This tool:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/tools/459_front.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/tools/gallerypics/459-2.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/tools/gallerypics/459_1.jpg

Arrow German Supply has a rental:

http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=18268&cat=&page=1

I am pretty sure this is it... anyone confirm?

https://vw.snapon.com/SpecialToolsDetail.aspx?itemId=2800108
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

yes, that's the one

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

Thanks, Don! Found it available here: https://vw.snapon.com/Home.aspx

Ordered! $174.01 with shipping and tax.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

I just got mine from the VW dealer through the parts dept. for $140, cheaper than eBay (but they're available there too.).

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

OTC
Ball Joints
Good luck
Tcash
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

Thanks, Tcash! As usual, you slay me with an avalanche of useful information. Laughing

I have already purchased all four "German" (that's just a word, by the way...) ball joints. Just no good way to get those sloppy old rattle-trap 1973 ball joints removed without doing something egregiously stupid. Best to get the right tool for the job.
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

Youth make sure you use the OTC arm to get them out. And you want the extra large arm meant for dodge sprinters. You can get it on Amazon. To get them out: put the appliances on the ball joint, apply heat, preferably from oxy acetylene (map gas will work, propane will not be enough) with a very long breaker bar turn the press until considerable force is on the joint then use a mini sledge and whack the arm right near the ball joint good and hard. With enough force applied a good solid whack will break it free. Heat is must, don't make it incandesce, just hot. Be sure to wire brush out the rust and apply liberal anti seize to the joint before installing. It's also a good idea to open the boot and pack more grease in as usually there is never enough in the new joints. Good luck.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005J3LOSK/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_yHdHzb4JZNGK9 found the right press, you also need some of those round adapters to make the vw tool work with the press
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

I rented one of these, and learned I still need Tool 459:

https://www.otctools.com/products/ball-joint-service-kit

With the OTC and Tool 459, I am hoping the process would go something like this:

(Fast forward past 1 minute 15 seconds)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihW9jNLjLZI&t=77s

I have both Mapp Gas plumbing outfit and Oxy/Ace set. Hoping not to use too much heat, just to expand the arm socket a bit.

Question The ball joints I have are these: 211405371A http://www.busdepot.com/211405371a

They are not outfitted with a zerk fitting. I have more reading to do, but as yet have not figured out how to refresh these with new grease in the future, or ensure they have plenty of grease now. Confused What about a needle fitting on the grease gun slipped under the boot? Will that actually get the grease where it needs to go? My feeling is it needs to go in from either the side or top of the socket; a needle fitting just won't do. The links I have seen so far on this are somewhat helpful, but one link is dead and the other from Colin has pictures blocked.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

Drill and tap them for M6 grease fittings using a magnetized bit and tap.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620643&highlight=

When I did my buses ball joints, I didn't want to spend that kind of money on a tool/tools that knew I'd only use once.

Just another approach I guess.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620643&highlight=

When I did my buses ball joints, I didn't want to spend that kind of money on a tool/tools that knew I'd only use once.

Just another approach I guess.

I agree. If you aren't gonna use the tool more than once it's better to take the arms out and take them somewhere to be serviced. You can save big bucks that way. I bought the tools because I have 3 buses here that needed servicing and I also work at a shop and use it there.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

I also considered this. While I have not looked any further, I am hoping VW Tool 459 will also work on my two Vanagons and my '68 doublecab.

Waiting for the rental to arrive or needing a tool when shops are closed is irritating.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

before you drill for zerk fittings go to this page and look at the photos. It is a study of the brands available. Some cannot be safely drilled.

http://www.wagenswest.com/how_to/bus_vanagon_ball_comparison.php
Tumbledown76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

I used Advance Auto Parts to rent out kits to work on my front end this past Spring (requires a deposit for the cost of the tools). It's a great option if you are only going to be doing the job (hopefully) once.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/o/loaner-tools
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

I used a technique similar to the one used with angle grinder. I spent less time with an angle grinder and more with a hacksaw and an almost-junk eBay heavy duty balljoint kit.

Sliced the top off the joints and used the balljoint tool to push the old ball out.
Then cut three slots in the wreckage of the balljoint body, two slots about 1/4 inch apart and one partial weakening slot 180 degrees around and was able to bend the ring of the old balljoint body.

Cleaned up the arm and replaced the balljoint , all while it was still fixed to the suspension beam.

What would have made life easier is the rting from the proper tool with the two tags sticking in which would have worked to press out the old balljoint as the eBay kit did not have anything suited to removal.

Three balljoints later and I was absolutely exhausted almost unable to stand up..

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

My Tool 459 arrived today all the way from Kenosha, Wisconsin via the freight trains I operate. Kinda cool, I guess. I used to go to Kenosha sometimes when I was stationed at Great Mistakes Naval Training Center.

The notched piece fits real well on the ball joint, but the sleeve seems pretty sloppy. Seems by design, but unclear at this point as to why. Other than that, it seems like a pretty solid piece and correctly stamped VW 459. I will get the FLAPS rental tool to marry this up and do the work and report back.
gator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bought this from the classifieds a few years ago. Used it once, worked great. I'd probably part with it. This was freshly blasted, it is shelf rusted now.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

The tool with the ear cut outs works fine, if a bit sloppy. But the sleeve is too long for the giant C clamp from the FLAPS kit, so I used one of the shorter sleeves from their kit with my 459 tool.

I was able to get both bottom ball joints out... but had to use the 3/4 impact for this work. I know my neighbors love me.

I noticed the old ball joints were swedged at the top in about six places circumferentially which undoubtedly added to the amount of effort needed to remove the ball joints.

I cannot fit the giant C clamp and the 3/4 drive impact up onto the upper ball joints due to lack of room in the wheel well. I am not looking forward to dropping the front beam for this work, but see no other way at this point.

Suggestions?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
. I am not looking forward to dropping the front beam for this work, but see no other way at this point.

Suggestions?

remove the arms and use a press

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

Ah... with that idea, could I just remove the arms then apply the tool whiles the arms are on the workbench? Tool set up works fine; just can't that big bastard rig upstairs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: