Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Ah... with that idea, could I just remove the arms then apply the tool whiles the arms are on the workbench? Tool set up works fine; just can't that big bastard rig upstairs.

well, yea. I've never done them in place....I like to clean the poop out of them. I know guys are scared to pull them, but it really isn't a big deal

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Wasted youth wrote:
Ah... with that idea, could I just remove the arms then apply the tool whiles the arms are on the workbench? Tool set up works fine; just can't that big bastard rig upstairs.

well, yea. I've never done them in place....I like to clean the poop out of them. I know guys are scared to pull them, but it really isn't a big deal

I'm with Skills.. It takes only minutes to pull the arms out and not much longer to reinstall them. Sooo much easier on the back and knees to work on the bench with them. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

Okay, I will investigate this idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

I have often used that type of clamp/press to remove anchor pins from truck brakes,when using a 3/4 air gun I found that it tended to open up the clamp.By just tightening them down with a 1/2 gun,not over tight, then remove the gun and socket from the tool and give the tool a smart smack, with a small 2 lb hammer,hit the end of the clamp screw where your socket goes.the shock from the blow will pop it out,just keep wrenching it down and hitting it until it's out.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

I like the idea you present and did not consider the good possibility of deforming the jig with excessive torque. Your idea is pretty close to how I removed the Pittman arm yesterday, except that I gave the arm a good whack when the puller was tight. I will give that a try on the upper ball joints, but don't know if I will have room to swing the hammer.

Alternatively, I was thinking if I raise the bus up a bit higher and swap the clamp and sleeve arrangement 180'' out from normal, I might proceed as before.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

I got them knocked out yesterday. Raised bus some more to clear the tooling set-up, and reversed the arrangement, coming up from underneath instead of the top. Could not use the VW459 spacer part of the tool due to its length exceeding the capacity of the FLAPS C-clamp opening, so I used the shorter piece in thier kit. This interfered with the length of the old ball joint threaded stem, so I cut that off in a minute with the 4 inch carbide blade.

No 40 ton press needed and no need to remove torsion arms. Ball joints did not come out with explosive force. No one got hurt. No massive amounts of heat or penetrating oil needed... in fact none at all. Some of the things I have read in the Samba regarding this process baffles me. Thank you to all that helped answer my questions! Cool
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

You're lucky, I've tweaked a 40 ton press just before the ball joint released with an explosion of parts & tools, & that was with a Beetle arm.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
You're lucky, I've tweaked a 40 ton press just before the ball joint released with an explosion of parts & tools, & that was with a Beetle arm.

Although I probably sound dismissive, I have contemplated the things I have read. And I see where difficulty would arise given the swedged/staked/peened requirement of the joint, as well as its serrated/knurled-like (?) edges. Compound this with 'rust belt' living and no anti-sieze compound during installation, I can imagine a fused and likely hopeless enterprise.
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
I got them knocked out yesterday. Raised bus some more to clear the tooling set-up, and reversed the arrangement, coming up from underneath instead of the top. Could not use the VW459 spacer part of the tool due to its length exceeding the capacity of the FLAPS C-clamp opening, so I used the shorter piece in thier kit. This interfered with the length of the old ball joint threaded stem, so I cut that off in a minute with the 4 inch carbide blade.

No 40 ton press needed and no need to remove torsion arms. Ball joints did not come out with explosive force. No one got hurt. No massive amounts of heat or penetrating oil needed... in fact none at all. Some of the things I have read in the Samba regarding this process baffles me. Thank you to all that helped answer my questions! Cool

Now you see why I said the extra large press Wink
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
hometurbine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

So I thought I'd share my experience and ask a follow-on question.

I decided to make my own 459 tool as shown. I did use a 50 ton press and have to say pushing those out was one of the scariest experiences of my life. The pop was pretty impressive. Bring spare pair of underwear! Shocked As you can see it deformed the edges of the removal tool (so make them wider), but after the first one it probably work-hardened and stabilized. Pressing them back in was pretty easy, but note that when re-installing the ball joints you have to leave space on the back side to push all the way through (I used an old torsion arm). If not you will squish it....ask me how I know....

I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. By pressing them in/out I was able to powder coat them without worry of flame or other damage. I also decided to go with the OE brand ball-joints since I hear they still have the machined head vs. OEM that now are sheet stampings that reportedly don't last long.

Follow-up question for re-install of torsion arms in beam. What grease should I use? I think the Bentely states Moly (modified lithium) or multi-purpose lithium grease for beam, but only lithium for the front bearings (sections 9.2 and 9.5.3). There is also "high temperature" multi-purpose lithium grease. Would it make sense to use the high-temperature lithium for both?
Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tiernay TT10 APU gas turbine
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

hometurbine wrote:
I also decided to go with the OE brand ball-joints since I hear they still have the machined head vs. OEM that now are sheet stampings that reportedly don't last long.

Nice job on the installation. What's OE brand ball joints? Do you have pictures of them before installation? Did you check to see how much pressure it took to turn the studs in the joints before installation. Some studs take a ton of effort to turn them in the joints. After installation when you drive it, you find the steering doesn't return to center after a turn. The tight ball joints bind up the front suspension.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

Do not use high temperature wheel bearing grease in ball joimts and tie rod ends. Its not that it cant lubricate......its the fact that its designed to get warm at minimum....to flow..... and can stand heat. Its not really designed to work as well in a system that does not squeeze it enough to shear it and cause thinning and flow.

A ball joint does not get hot from its operation. It needs a grease that has additives in it that can lubricate ALONE.....through sliding motion......even if the body of the grease never thins at all. That would be high molybdenum content grease.

Yeah...sure...you can get away with almost any grease....but over time the lithium complex greases will ALWAYS begin to break down and become corrosive. A high molybdenum content helps damp this process.....but the moly is actually the REAL lubricant here.

Look for greases with 3-5% moly or higher. Most of those are going to be black nasty greases because of the high moly content. Most greases with fancy red or blue colors that are listed as lithium fortified only have 0.5% to 2% max moly.

Use a polyurea grease if you can find it.....or a synthetic. They can mix with aluminum and lithium complex.

With the high difficulty of botb replacing ball joints on a bus...and finding good parts.....I would spend a few minutes when shopping for grease and pull up the msds/sds sheets and look at what's in them. Ray
hometurbine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

Ray,
on greases. I think you partially answered the question. I was asking about front beam and front wheel bearing greases, NOT the ball-joints since those come pre-greased. Based on your input and Bentley does this sound right?

1) Beam --> over 3% moly or multi-purpose lithium, NOT high temp.
2) Front bearings --> multi-purpose lithium, or high-temp lithium.

I guess I'll add the 3rd category since you answered that:
3) ball joints--> over 3% Moly, synthetic, or polyurea

Correct? Would you add synthetic to the front bearings?

wcfvw69,
"OE brand". I saw a thread of cut-ups of recently made ball-joints for different brands and these stood out. I can find the article if you want. I guess it's run by an American company, but made in China. Regarding old ball joints, one was loose, one was stuck. Both new ones don't move freely, but maybe running them a bit may change that.

Thanks
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

hometurbine wrote:

wcfvw69,
"OE brand". I saw a thread of cut-ups of recently made ball-joints for different brands and these stood out. I can find the article if you want. I guess it's run by an American company, but made in China. Regarding old ball joints, one was loose, one was stuck. Both new ones don't move freely, but maybe running them a bit may change that.

Thanks

Thanks for the info on these new joints. I was curious as A LOT of the new ball joints sold today for VW's are too tight in the joints. There's a lot of threads on this site about it. The ball joint studs are hard to turn in the ball joint body. Many folks had to replace these new ball joints with another brand because they simply don't loosen up and the steering binds.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

hometurbine wrote:
Ray,
on greases. I think you partially answered the question. I was asking about front beam and front wheel bearing greases, NOT the ball-joints since those come pre-greased. Based on your input and Bentley does this sound right?

1) Beam --> over 3% moly or multi-purpose lithium, NOT high temp.
2) Front bearings --> multi-purpose lithium, or high-temp lithium.

I guess I'll add the 3rd category since you answered that:
3) ball joints--> over 3% Moly, synthetic, or polyurea

Correct? Would you add synthetic to the front bearings?

Thanks

The main things are this:

Big heavy ball joints and CV joints have roughly the same issue. They have metal to metal sliding contact that can/would cause galling without extreme pressure additives. These are additives like Moly, graphite, lead in older greases and a few other metallic additives.

The only real difference between what goes into a CV verus a ball joint....is that ball joints need a little more of a paste and CVs...a little less of a paste. CV greases are about equivalent to an NLGI 0 grease (a wheel bearing grease being an NLGI 2)....and you see a lot more fluid oil in CV grease. It has to flow somewhat. Outside of that...whats in them is heavily metallic.....lots of moly and graphite.

The beam....really you could use most any grease that is not too stiff in cold weather. Most beams have a combination of bushings and needle bearings. But the load is spread out pretty well. The biggest "long term" problem I see with the beams....in any front beam system in a,VW.....is that they largely get filled up with grease. Over time....all greases break down. When they do they get corrosive. Pretty much all of them do this except some of the synthetics. And....mixing grease bases....lithium complex to calcium complex to aluminum complex...accelerates this break down and corrosion. This is why in some buses you eventually see the beam rusting from the inside out even when its not leakage.
The beam is moderately loaded....does not get much more than warm from operating.....the most important thing you can do is grease it....and if possible....use the same grease base that has always been used. Being 50 years old now with who knows how many owners or cheap garages working on them....who knows what all is in the beam.

Synthetics for the front wheel bearings.....it really makes no difference. Its all about drop point and cold weather flow....and a good 3-ball rating. You can buy synthetic greases that have lower drop points than normal greases and vice versa.

The big claim to fame for synthetics over time....say in a permanently lubed joint like a tie rod end....is that the base does not break down with age and get crusty and corrosive like non-synthetic greases. It also makes them able to be mixed with other greases....generally....without issues.
This is not a benefit you will likely need really in front wheel bearings. If you repack those....you take them out and clean out the old grease so it does not matter.

However....for that compatibility reason....synthetic would be a benefit for the beam. Ray
hometurbine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

Thanks Ray for the input. Good stuff.

wcfvw69,
here is the ball joint cut-away comparison I was talking about. Click the images to see close-ups.

http://www.wagenswest.com/how_to/bus_vanagon_ball_comparison.php

Thanks
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

hometurbine wrote:
Thanks Ray for the input. Good stuff.

wcfvw69,
here is the ball joint cut-away comparison I was talking about. Click the images to see close-ups.

http://www.wagenswest.com/how_to/bus_vanagon_ball_comparison.php

Thanks

Thanks for that link. I remember seeing that article a few years ago when I went with Nakata ball joints on my 70' bay bus. It seems like it's a month to month issue with which ball joints are known good vs. bad. There's just so much junk being made in China or S. America.

When I got the Nakata ball joints, I held the ball joint body in a vise. I then put a nut on the ball joint stud to spin the stud in the body. All of them passed that test but were still a bit tight for the first 2-3k miles. They've fully loosened up now.

Other folks have done this test pre-installation and found they barely could move the stud in the ball joint body. They took them back.

bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

I have not heard anyone mention peening the bj after installation with tool #471.

Not needed anymore or just something that slips folks minds....?
Samba Member #95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

I swedged around the tops of mine with a center punch and ball peen hammer. Six divots equally per ball joint.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

bastardbus wrote:
I have not heard anyone mention peening the bj after installation with tool #471.

Not needed anymore or just something that slips folks minds....?

I have the tool, but never use it anymore. 1) if these joints come out, you have bigger issues 2) I don't need to add to the compression of already junk ball joints.

in 25 years I have never had one come out..or move

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: