Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
bastardbus wrote:
I have not heard anyone mention peening the bj after installation with tool #471.

Not needed anymore or just something that slips folks minds....?

I have the tool, but never use it anymore. 1) if these joints come out, you have bigger issues 2) I don't need to add to the compression of already junk ball joints.

in 25 years I have never had one come out..or move

Don you are so full of it. You were 24 last birthday. Smile

kidding.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Don you are so full of it. You were 24 last birthday. Smile

kidding.

I wish. I was 12 in 1991 when I got my first bus...15 window deluxe. about 3 years later I got my first bay...you do the math.

fuck...I'm getting old Mad

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

Hi! Does anyone have a 459 tool I could rent/borrow?
(sold - but not forgotten)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:

https://germansupply.com/tool-rental-installing-tools-for-ball-joints-bus-68-79.html
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
BUSBOSS wrote:

https://germansupply.com/tool-rental-installing-tools-for-ball-joints-bus-68-79.html

Thanks! I am trying to see if there is someone local in Nor Cal or elsewhere (and willing to ship at my cost) before going through Canada.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
SGKent wrote:
BUSBOSS wrote:

Thanks! I am trying to see if there is someone local in Nor Cal or elsewhere (and willing to ship at my cost) before going through Canada.

https://wolfgangint.com/home/1104-reconditioned-ball-joint-arms-311405371wg.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:

https://wolfgangint.com/home/1104-reconditioned-ball-joint-arms-311405371wg.html

Thanks! Have you received any input/feedback about the quality of the joints/boots used in these?

I am planning on keeping my OEM joint, clean and lube and then replace a torn boot. Hence the reason for seeking just the tool.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

I was able to remove the joints myself just using a hydraulic press and some spacers. But I ended up paying the local aircooled shop to install them with a custom jig he made.

Has anybody ever tried one of those "C" shaped ball joint tools on a Bus?

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
ToolBox wrote:

Thanks! Have you received any input/feedback about the quality of the joints/boots used in these?

I am planning on keeping my OEM joint, clean and lube and then replace a torn boot. Hence the reason for seeking just the tool.

you don't need the tool to just replace the boots. In fact it would be a stupid thing to do because it might come free afterwards. Just pull the joints loose from the spindles. FWIW I gave good arms to WI and had to go thru 3 boxes of rebuilt ones just to find a good set. I should have just replaced the boots.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

For the record, I have all the trailing arm alignment checking tools if anybody wants theirs checked locally. No way I’m shipping them around like German Supply does!

Doing boots by taking the spindle off is a rite of passage if you plan on keeping your bus forever. It’s also an annual maintenance job if you drive like I do.

I don’t blame any shop for ball joints or boot related issues. Order four joints from four suppliers and you’re likely to get a dozen different joints and SIZES. The best joints I’ve found (boots aside) in the last two years is OEM Brand from eBay. My local machinist showed me that they are slightly oversized from other brands, so he machines the arms a few thousandths to his liking. None of these cars had the tight ball joint syndrome when driven after replacements…

Current as of 2021… Opinions can and will change with supply chain issues. Smile

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieseler ball joint tool 459 - source? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

you don't need the tool to just replace the boots. In fact it would be a stupid thing to do because it might come free afterwards. Just pull the joints loose from the spindles.

I had not thought of that - this sounds like a much more reasonable and practical approach! Embarassed I'm ashamed that I hadn't thought of it myself.

I will try it this weekend.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: