Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trying to build a buggy (Asking for help)
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iDarkfusionYT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Trying to build a buggy (Asking for help) Reply with quote

Hello! I'm Alan from Uruguay, i've seen a lot of awesome builds here in the forum but i just wanted to ask if there is some kind of plans available, i mean, i've read the history of Bruce and the Meyers Manx and its variants but i can only find one kit in uruguay, its a clone and it costs at least two or three times an VW Beetle in good condition.

With plans i mean at least pictures (or measures) to make something by hand, i've worked with fiberglass before and i know people who can help me.

If not, or this is "illegal" can someone guide me? im just new to this world of buggies (found it like two weeks ago, after i have seen one buggy similar to Meyers Manx 2+2 in the street, first one in my life lol)

Thank you very much and if you're reading this i hope you have a good day!
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to build a buggy (Asking for help) Reply with quote

This thread is about a person(Ahtram) in Pakistan who bought an inexpensive body from a seller in the U.S. who cut it into pieces which would fit into a reasonable size crate which he then had shipped to Ahtram in Pakistan. There Ahtram used fiberglass to reassemble the body pieces and then built a complete buggy.

There is an American I know who bought a cut up genuine Meyers Manx which he then reassembled, the seams being invisible after painting. Its called the Puzzle-Manx

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=362883

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to build a buggy (Asking for help) Reply with quote

At this point, you need to read and research a lot... There is large buggy/VW following in South American countries so there may be ways for you to get body and donor bug or complete buggy without having to ship parts across the equator.... You are to new to buggies to be making snap decision on how to instantly acquire one.... Patience and research will be rewarding...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
iDarkfusionYT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to build a buggy (Asking for help) Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
At this point, you need to read and research a lot... [...] Patience and research will be rewarding...

Dale

I know i need to research a lot, but still i prefer to get some pictures and measures if someone can help me with that and go to a (fiberglass worker?, i don't know how they are called on english) i just want one, not make a business out from it, anyway guys thank for the help, i will continue searching images and trying to make "plans" in paper to do something similar to why bruce did in the first time, i mean something like this with wood

[img]http://compass.xboxlive.com/assets/92/a5/92a57325-5dae-4302-bbce-a5319a709d8a.jpg?n=HMA_8_20_15_montage.jpg[/img]

(bottom left image)
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to build a buggy (Asking for help) Reply with quote

There are no "plans' for building a fiberglass buggy body.

If you truly want to create your own buggy body from cloth and resin you first need to sculpt the shape in clay and wood or even styrofoam. Then you use the form to make a mold, then you use the mold to make a body. This will require twice the amount of time and material and since its your first attempt the result will likely be disappointing.

Here are some photos of a person from Argentina who sculpted his own original buggy design and then used it to make a mold. He was a professional auto designer

Buggy bodies are a continuous mass of compound curves, there is no way short of a computer and 3d scanner to get all the dimensions you'd need to make a fiberglass buggy body from "plans".

There are plans to make a buggy body from bent flat steel sheet. Its called an EMPI Sportster. You can buy the plans on ebay.

Last edited by BL3Manx on Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to build a buggy (Asking for help) Reply with quote

well here is an out of the box thinking.. you can get some 3d printers and design and print your own.. and yes it can be done.. as this dude proved it > https://www.google.com/search?q=3d+printed+aston+m...mp;bih=810
iDarkfusionYT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to build a buggy (Asking for help) Reply with quote

Im just impressed with you guys, this forum is... awesome.
As i don't have a garage and the money (even less the experience, im just a teen) i think im gonna take a look at the EMPI Sportster at the end this is gonna be a project for near future and just for fun.

I have to say my initial idea was "copy" an manx by using references ( xx inches from steering wheel to seat, zz inches from floor to dashboard) and things like that
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to build a buggy (Asking for help) Reply with quote

why not build a sand rail type buggy first? then build a fiberglass shell over it using it a a roll cage? there are so many custom sand rail/buggy body designs its all bout how creative you can be..
iDarkfusionYT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to build a buggy (Asking for help) Reply with quote

crsmp5 wrote:
why not build a sand rail type buggy first? then build a fiberglass shell over it using it a a roll cage? there are so many custom sand rail/buggy body designs its all bout how creative you can be..

Well that idea es pretty good tbh, it will be easy to do and the base result will be the same, i just looked at this and its awesome
[youtube]sLjm_8C7IEo[/youtube]
Link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLjm_8C7IEo (if that embed doesn't works)
but im not gonna cut the pan because i want to do it 4 seater and also i've read that the pan is really hard to solder with an conventional electric arc machine
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to build a buggy (Asking for help) Reply with quote

Something like this would look very good in Uruguay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD1A-cWvnwM

Like Bruce Myers, I think his proportions are scaled perfectly
and it has a classic look.

Jim
Manx #2614
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to build a buggy (Asking for help) Reply with quote

look at pics of a empi sportster as they look like a rail buggy with a steel nose/sides added to it.. no reason you cannot do 4 seats.. again.. its about how creative you can be.. not my tastes... or someone elses wants... but what you want... then form a plan to get there... i just feel a tube frame covered in glass is a bit more sturdy then just glass... will take a hit better in the idea a glass buggy will be really hurt vs tube backing.. unless you bend it..

no idea of how ya wanna weld on it.. but i will assume in the 60s and such.. many rail type buggies are/were stick/ark welded... but.. a quality mig is worth the investment.. a tig is more ideal as you can get into welding anything.. but cannot skimp on a quality tig.. and it takes some practice vs a mig.. you can buy quality migs for 500ish.. i want a lincon that runs both 110v and 220v and i think its bout 500$.. but i have 220 for my tig.. and like how 220 welds vs 110.. but the ability to use 110 is a good thing for when you lack 220 access
iDarkfusionYT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to build a buggy (Asking for help) Reply with quote

Sorry guys for not replying fast.

Well a tig/mig is a really good investment but i don't have the money rn, im just saving for the beetle, the cheapest unbranded tig welder here it costs 345 USD, almost 10k UYU and the beetle itself costs 25-30k (in bad condition and hoping all of his papers are legal) lol
An combined 3-in-1 (mig-arc-tig) costs wayy more, 607 usd, 17k uyu.
The problem isn't how much costs, the problem is really is hard to get that money here! (And even more if you're just a student like me and have to pay it)

Anyway guys THANK YOU VERY MUCH to all for the help, with all these ideas and comments im gonna decide what to do, my initial idea if i get access to a tube bender is make something similar to manx but in sand rail shape with all tubes and then a custom body with fiberglass over it.
nelson845
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to build a buggy (Asking for help) Reply with quote

If I were going to try and build a manx type buggy from scratch, first thing I would do is buy a plastic model of the buggy. Make some scale drawings out of that model and go from there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: