Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scangauge 2
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
amyshannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Scangauge 2 Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

after reading stuff here and other places I bought a Scangauge for the purpose of monitoring my Transmission Fluid temperature on my 02 EVC.

I went thru the xgauge process , loaded in the proper codes, but next to TFT on the screen there is no number? what am I doing wrong ? how can I get it to show my TFT?

Thanks!
mkscott2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Scangauge 2 Reply with quote

There is a lag in the transmission temp send. What you have to do is wait until the vehicle is running for about 20-30 seconds, and then plug in the SG. For this reason, several of us obtained a cable with a switch to turn the SC on and off rather than plugging and unplugging constantly. This is also good because the OBDII does have constant power.

Alternate idea: Torque app with an OBDII adapter. If you are just monitoring trans temp, this is more than sufficient and significantly cheaper. Here's how I set mine up: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=677382&start=0 It's toward the bottom of the thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
amyshannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Scangauge 2 Reply with quote

Thank you so much ! What would be other wise choices as far as things to monitor ? Coolant temp ?
mkscott2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Scangauge 2 Reply with quote

Gonna leave that to others with more expertise. I really just use it for monitoring trans temp, distance till the tank is empty, and to scan for codes. Nothing fancy for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
amyshannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Scangauge 2 Reply with quote

OK cool....i got it working,drove for 25 minutes,the TFT temp never exceeded 98 degree F.

What is normal or ideal range?
shenan-agon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Scangauge 2 Reply with quote

mkscott2 wrote:
Alternate idea: Torque app with an OBDII adapter. If you are just monitoring trans temp, this is more than sufficient and significantly cheaper. Here's how I set mine up: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=677382&start=0 It's toward the bottom of the thread.

I'm looking at doing this now (though on an iPhone with a different app). Is there a specific PID you needed to add in order to get the transmission temp to show up? Apparently this isn't a standard OBDII PID and I'm not having any luck finding an additional VW-specific list.
mkscott2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Scangauge 2 Reply with quote

Ideal range for temp: I am still trying to sort that out for myself. There are a handful of threads on this very question, but I don't think I've pegged down a good answer yet. After a recent 4k mile trip thru mountains and plains, I found my temp to hover around 210 F. By comparison, 98 seems too low to me, but I am not an expert on this.

OBDII Coding: yes, you do have to punch in a specific code for the ScanGauge. I did not have to do so for the Torque Pro app. Haven't used other apps, so I'm not certain on what you would have to do for set-up.
amyshannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Scangauge 2 Reply with quote

Here is an update. I contacted Scangauge about the issue of having to constantly unplug it and plug it back in to get current TFT. They were great. they said it needed a software update. They mailed me out a new one with the update installed and a pre postage paid container to send back the original one. Thank you Scangauge , great customer service!!!

So the new one works fine, I do not have to plug it in and pull it out after every time I start the car. But the temp readings are way higher than the original unit was giving me . After an hour of mixed driving it got up to 228 !

This scares the crap out of me because I have heard the fluid starts to degrade at 225.

A VW tech told me 228 is normal.

I am thinking about a cooler. I spoke with a local transmission shop who said 228 is way to hot but that putting on a cooler makes no sense . He said you need to find out what is causing it to run so hot.

Another respected VW shop owner said it could be the ribbon/ bad sensors that are giving an inaccurate reading.

What should I do? It seems to be shifting fine.
Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Scangauge 2 Reply with quote

amyshannon wrote:
But the temp readings are way higher than the original unit was giving me . After an hour of mixed driving it got up to 228

yeah, that doesn't surprise me at all. mine was getting up to 240-250 I think? maybe more, I don't remember. But I'm the guy with the big ass class C Winnebago T4..
post-cooler, I haven't seen it go over 170, and that was on a 105F day.

The developer of the TorquePro app had to specially reverse-engineer and program in the trans temp for the T4 himself.. I kinda doubt that developers of other apps have taken that initiative.

I have mine set up to monitor trans temp, engine coolant, voltage, intake air temp, GPS speed, and a few odds and ends like compass and average MPG.
most of the time I don't even bother setting it up, now that I know the trans isn't going to melt itself to slag.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snowshoer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Scangauge 2 Reply with quote

My temps were similar to yours before the cooler. I put one in my '99 and temps are now 174-177 cruising on the highway. Goes up in town but you can't do much about that because there is no air flowing over the cooler. The cooler install took me most of a saturday but I am so glad I did it.
Destrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Scangauge 2 Reply with quote

I just purchased a Scangauge2 for having real time monitoring of my transmission temperature.
I suggest that anyone that's going to try to use one of these on a Eurovan for the same reason. You should connect scangauge directly to perchase. Make sure that they preprogrammed the unit for you van.

I'm fairly happy with the unit.
joet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Scangauge 2 Reply with quote

Hi all,

We sold our Eurovan last year and I’m finally getting around to selling our preprogrammed ScanGauge 2. It’s on eBay if you’re interested, just search for “eurovan” along with “ScanGuage”

Cheers,
Joe
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: