Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Just had to read your thread here.
Sweet build.

Glad you decided on factory colors and not another Herbie!
Might be hard work, but there's something about a black car...
Totally reminds me of mine; so many of the same parts.
That, and the White Trash Tarp Garage.. Cool
My neighbors really loved it when i had mine, sand or paint fumes and overspray blowing in the wind, compressor running late into the night...
At least your neighbors are more than six feet away like mine.

Stoked to see you taking the time to really fix things right.
Nice work.

Funny how you have the same problems i do;
A beetle, a bus and a type 3.
Now you'll NEVER get anything done.. Laughing

What’s That Noise?!?
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Sweet build.

My neighbors really loved it when i had mine, sand or paint fumes and overspray blowing in the wind, compressor running late into the night...

Nice work.

Shocked

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

carcrazed wrote:
Looking real nice. Little by little it gets finished. Just keep plugging away.

Thank you! It’s slowly getting done.

Clatter wrote:
Sweet build.

Nice work.

Thank you!

I will say the black does look really good. Accept it probably wasn’t the best choice of paint color for learning body work and painting on Laughing

Yeah, my parents weren’t thrilled with tent garages and I have two, one in out drive way and another in the woods. Our closest neighbor you can’t even see from our yard, and they all like the VWs and like them so that’s nice.

Yeah! There could be worse problems though Laughing

The other day I loaded the bug up with bus parts to take to the one shed in the woods and got stuck getting back to the shed, it took lots of trying to get it in, especially in the dark. the tires shot the boards under them backwards. The snow is fun sometimes but yet a pain Laughing
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Finally back to work, I have done nothing since the last update other than to get it out to drive it around once in a while. So I still am procrastinating on body work. But the engine needs some help so I decided to start there. The oil pickup tube isn’t bolted it so it could come out Shocked The head chipped off above the head stud and my friend is going to weld up the aluminum. The pushrod tube seals all need to be replaced. The carburetor needs new throttle shaft bushings as I can move it up in down in the shaft and gas leaks out of it Shocked So I took it for a drive and dropped the engine. It took me 4 hrs to drop the engine. It is easier on my T3. I got to see and deal with my work from when I was 12-14 years old. Most of it was bad and made life much harder Laughing I have learned a lot in the last couple years. I’m hoping I don’t find destroyed internals, everything seems good but who knows.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

if endplay is good, it dont knock, oil preassure ok, and the lobes arent out of spec, i wouldnt even split the case.

you can meassure the cam by placing thedial indicator on the spring retainers, and reading the numbers that way.

just dont get too crazy if you dont have to Wink

also, you can have 32 or 35.5mm SS valves turned down to size at a machine shop.

1.1 ratio rockers will help it breath a bit better. im sure you have a set of those right?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
if endplay is good, it dont knock, oil preassure ok, and the lobes arent out of spec, i wouldnt even split the case.

you can meassure the cam by placing thedial indicator on the spring retainers, and reading the numbers that way.

just dont get too crazy if you dont have to Wink

I will check endplay, it seems good though. Oil pressure??? It has good compression and runs well. I would love not to split the case but the nut is gone for the oil pickup tube so it flops around in the case and could fall out Shocked and that would lead to a very dry and burnt engine... I didn’t realize it wasn’t supposed to move until I got my T3 and worked on that. I kinda want to throw together the spare 1600 I have and swap it in. But BUT I have a friend that says someone he knows is selling off his VW collection and letting engines go for $25-$50 each for engines. But I also have the original engine, but it can kinda be a dumpster fire some days Laughing
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Today I got the motor torn down a bit more. I need new rocker arm studs, they are awful and feel loose like they want to pull out. Short stud conversion will likely be my option. Also, on the one rocker are, the rockers and valve stems don’t line up right. And I think one valve keeper is messed up

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Today I got the flywheel off and got the head fixed up

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

I started and ended today with the case together Laughing
I got the case split and got all of the grease and crud cleaned off. I got it reassembled, used assembly lube and sealant. The whole reason I had to split the case was because the oil pickup tube was loose and flipping around. For some reason the one in the engine doesn’t have a tab to bolt it down so I had to add one. I noticed that the tube had been hitting the cam and the cam was starting to gouge the oil pickup tube Shocked you can see in this pic the nick

Case getting cleaned.

I messed up and put the cam plug in backwards. After much waffling I decided to fix it. Here is backwards

I got the case together and torqued it down, the 6 main bolts to 25ft pounds and the others to 14fl lbs.

When I was putting the oil cooler on, one of the stud for it snapped off and *ping* the washer falls into my freshly assembled crank case Evil or Very Mad :fist: Brick wall I tried fishing it out with a magnet to no avail. So I put it in the black bag of shame Laughing I hope you learned your lesson Laughing

(The bag is actually to make sure nothing else falls in Wink )

Aiden
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

I got some fender work done today. They are very close to done

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

This is getting old. my notifications nearly never works for your threads.

other than that i think you will be surprised at how you car will look with fenders. do you have the bolt and fender seals yet?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

I will look a lot better with fenders for sure! It’s been a a year or two since I test fitted them on and 5 since they were all the same color Shocked
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

im not sure you would look very good with fenders Laughing
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

I got the engine a bit more together. I got the washer out of the crank case. I got the oil pump on. Distributor in. Alternator stand cleaned up and put on, oil sump plate.

I’ve also gotten a lot of stuff done on the fenders.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

noice mate! get a video of it running for us! we like quite valvetrains not loud eating itself to death noises my engine makes Laughing

also, why are you always up so late on the samba? or why am i always up so late on the samba? Shocked Anxious
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
noice mate! get a video of it running for us! we like quite valvetrains not loud eating itself to death noises my engine makes Laughing

also, why are you always up so late on the samba? or why am i always up so late on the samba? Shocked Anxious

Hopefully it doesn’t make weird noises... I’m not changing many parts.

Because I was pulling a bus out of the woods today, then going doing VW stuff with VW people. And then kept working on this VW engine. Then had to shower the VW grease off of me so I could post on my VW thread Think Laughing I guess VWs are a time suck that keeps pulling you in Laughing
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

I got the short stud kit for the heads, my new push rod tubes and started to put it together

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Got a little more work done. I am super close to having the engine done but I need a new oil cooler or welding gas to fix the one I have. The rest is assembled.

Then I got some body work done and mocked up the front end, it’s soo close to done.

calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Paint those fenders Bordeaux red.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Paint those fenders Bordeaux red.

Probably not going to paint them a different color but that is a cool color.

Today I got the stud on the oil cooler fixed and put a few more things together and still can’t find my clutch alignment tool Mad I will make a new one I guess.

I’m also going to fix up an automatic transmission starter I have to put on this but it needs a new gear as the old one is worn out.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: