Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

This car sometimes... :fist: The engine is in though at least Very Happy So I bought these bushings to replace the ones on the throttle shaft. I didn’t realize earlier VWs didn’t use them and the bushings I was sent are the wrong size and slightly bug from what I ordered. The two screws holding on the butterfly to the shaft didn’t want to come out and they fought me. The engine didn’t want to go in either, the on aftermarket POS heater box was made so you can’t put the engine in with it on. So I took that off. So I got the engine in and I was cranking it over to build oil pressure and I heard drip drip then a constant stream and I know immediately what it is and bran and got a oil pan. Oil was pouring out from the cooler, I don’t think the seals were right. It seem to just fight me today. I have a good start I guess
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Engine in

Then apart she goes Mad

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

i hate oil leaks so effing much. well at least its just the oil cooler. did you intall the washers?

i can see your car is getting dusty. like my freshly painted chassis looks like dog shit with all the pollen and dirt laying upon it.

or am i just looking at sanding marks? Laughing
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
i hate oil leaks so effing much. well at least its just the oil cooler. did you intall the washers?

i can see your car is getting dusty. like my freshly painted chassis looks like dog shit with all the pollen and dirt laying upon it.

or am i just looking at sanding marks? Laughing

It didn’t previously have washers so I didn’t install them. Turned out the seal I used was too short. Fix that and got it running (for a while Crying or Very sad ) today. It was running great and then I was taking down the road and then the engine started sputtering and it died. Didn’t want to start so I had to push it back down the road in 92 degree heat in the sun Mad I got it off to the side and it started up for 5s ran normal and started to sputter, gave it throttle more throttle and dies. Did that a couple times. Then I fired it up and it stayed running and drove to my house quick let it come down to idle and it died and did the same weird starting thing a couple times. Started and ran great again. Then I drove it for a bit and the same starting issue again where it wouldn’t start or it would run like normal for a few seconds, then start sputtering and die. I swapped through 3 condensers, no help. Either on starting, nope. If the choke is held close it seems to help it a little. Any ideas??? It’s very frustrating it was running great and started having issues. Thoughts? Help is appreciated. I’m almost wondering if something is weird with the valve adjustment? I ran out of time to check. But it is so puzzling it will keep cycling through running fine to not wanting to start. Also, my starter started making an awful noise cranking and I think it’s going out. This is all just so puzzling, it seems to have fuel and spark but I don’t get the intermittent ness of it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

I was reading one of the threads about running issues a few down and that helped me find my issues. They said to take the top of the carburetor and see the level in the float bowl. I thought I was good because I saw the accelerator pump working squirting gas and starting fluid didn’t help. But I decided to go back out and take the top off even though I was getting gas squirting out. Well... it was very low in there. Maybe a 1/4 inch of fuel. Barely any. So I have a fuel issues. At least there isn’t much to the fuel system. Laughing
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

I got a spare set of fenders bolted up. Headlights working, turn signals work. I got it running again. The starter is toast. I got it to run push starting it. Tomorrow I will work on getting it trimmed right and the rest dialed in. Not sure if I will make the last day of school. I can’t find any starters in stock
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

thats dope man! the fenders actually look decent.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Today went well. 30 minutes from my house, The Advanced Auto parts website said they had one fitting a 64 beetle and that it was 12v. There was one store with it in stock near me and the guy couldn't find the voltage on it, not anywhere on the box, starter or papers. I said might as well go drive there. Got home and it has a 6v gear! It turned out it was the right starter and came with a new starter bushing. Turns out it was the bushing that was bad. The bushing crumbled apart. It went really good and fast.

It started right up and I drove it around a bit.

Feel free to make fun of my taillights Laughing
It went really well and I came and was thinking, “ wow I can’t believe nothing went wrong today” seconds later my dad came in saying there is smoke coming from it Shocked well, if you look in the one picture I didn’t have the heater box hooked up but I blocked of the fan shroud outlet but oil had gotten in the heater box and was burning off from getting hot Embarassed d'oh! I found a heater tube to put on though.
I will post a video tomorrow
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
thats dope man! the fenders actually look decent.

Thanks!

I actually made it to school today in the Beetle!!! Dancing I will get some pictures
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

How are you u still in school? I've been out for like a month now.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
How are you u still in school? I've been out for like a month now.

Different states end school at different times. I think Michigan is June the 15th.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

The get out date also varies in the school system. Some schools in my town got out a week or two ago. Today was our last day for the year! Here’s a picture

And I got a crappy video from yesterday
Link
[/vimeo]
BorisGrishenko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

May want a plate hanging around somewhere in the back lest the local police take issue with something.
2011 Jetta SportWagen TDI - sold
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI -Dieselgate victim
2016 Golf 1.8
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

BorisGrishenko wrote:
May want a plate hanging around somewhere in the back lest the local police take issue with something.

I dont think the popo near him care lol
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
BorisGrishenko wrote:

I mounted it after school today. The school officer joked with me about it and he said he didn’t really care of it had a plate Laughing but it’s on there. It’s actually almost completely legal.
Here’s a video of the engine
Link

BorisGrishenko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
BorisGrishenko wrote:

I mounted it after school today. The school officer joked with me about it and he said he didn’t really care of it had a plate Laughing but it’s on there. It’s actually almost completely legal.
Here’s a video of the engine
Link

It's annoying but it only takes one cop in a bad mood. I've met a few like that. Most are cool, though
2016 Golf 1.8
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

I’ve got it up to regulation. I think the only thing is I technically need one outside mirror and a light for the license plate.

I’ve been driving it quite a bit. I’ve swapped for the right distributor since the bug cap was up to March 64 and mines April so I got the correct one in. I’ve been putting a lot of miles on and it’s been great surprisingly. I think I need to adjust brakes. It has a slight pull to the right on hard braking.

BorisGrishenko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Looking good! Glad you're getting it a good shakedown. Even in the heat down here I'm making sure to get mine out as often as I can (when it rains, the country roads flood a bit, so I drive the truck those days) and that's the best way to find out. So far so good!
2016 Golf 1.8
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

BorisGrishenko wrote:
Looking good! Glad you're getting it a good shakedown. Even in the heat down here I'm making sure to get mine out as often as I can (when it rains, the country roads flood a bit, so I drive the truck those days) and that's the best way to find out. So far so good!

Thanks! The only issue is I had a wire come off while driving and I lost power. I have checked the Speedometer with an app and it is pretty accurate. All the lights are working good. I did a valve adjustment and I had little to no adjustment on most valves after the stud inserts, I was happily surprised. It seems to be running cool and hasn’t leaked much oil, I think it may be leaking from the main drain plug since I didn’t replace the copper gasket yet.

With the heat, I have found it very nice! I have very good air flow and once I finish work weeding fields on a farm, that air flow feel great!

I’ve been doing some more fender work and wet sanding. The fenders are close to primer.
BorisGrishenko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Excellent. Gotta get there bit by bit. Small things add up.
2016 Golf 1.8
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

I almost have the fenders done Very Happy I got them primed and sealed tonight. They still need more work but at least they won’t rust.

Today I also went to the junkyard to get some new doors! I found a excellent passenger side with only one hole that’s an easy fix. I found a rougher matching drivers side door but it needs help. I warped the sh*t out of the OG drivers door so it’s have had 10lbs of bondo to get it straight. I did find a like mint 68+ door to chop the bottom off of to fix the bad Twisted Evil I will get pictures of them tomorrow. Here’s the OG drivers door with a bunch of filler already when I thought I could save it Rolling Eyes Laughing

Some more pictures when I took the big fishing with friends

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: