Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
Hey there, I too decided to look through your build and wanted to compliment you on your great efforts. In fact, you have inspired me to build my own car port tent thing so I can get my show back on the the road Smile that is after all the busyness cools down right now for me. Keep it up, your almost there Very Happy

Also, is that an after market front clip? How was the fit and finish on that. I’m considering it as an option for my 65.

Thanks

Thanks for looking through! Thank you, good luck with your car port tent. It is nice when you have bare metal exposed it protects it, and when you get kicked out of the garage. Hopefully it will be done in a few months, I’m hoping to start on it again by the end of the month. I have to finish some metal work on my other car so you can’t see the ground.

Yes, it is a after market front clip. It’s not great for fit and finish. The pressing on the edges is very round, making the seal grove not weld on nice and pushes it out. Also, if a little to much gets cut out, it doesn’t line up well and screws up fender alignment.

I’m looking at you thread on your 65, if you cans get it pulled out enough, I would say keep it, or, maybe do a partial quarter panel replacement vs the whole apron, I now try to leave as much original metal as possible since the new stuff is crap.

Hope this helps.

Ok cool, i noticed that the after market front clips had a different shape to the sides where the spare tire sits and it had me wondering. I think I’m gonna strap my car down somehow, and then use a com along attacked to the number supports and hopefully, just maybe, it will pull it back enough into shape where is can start working at the metal, making her at least relatively straight again. I saw that you mocked up your front end with a pair of good fenders. That is a good idea and I’m going to do the same i think. Thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

I’m finally making a little progress again. My school finally finished, I did a huge cleaning on my garage, finished a few thing on my Squareback so I will be getting back to work. I also get my drivers license tomorrow so that will be great! Today I got the gas heater going and the adjustment on the glow plug helped, it works correctly now. I think it’s slow to start in the video because the gas is bad, it leaked out of my Squareback the first time I filled it up and is a little dirty with a bunch of additives but I figured the heater wasn’t too picky Laughing sorry for the sideways video. https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=em-comments&v=Xi-yARcQ9HY
Then I did a little sanding
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Not much to update, I’ve almost finished the rear quarters. I just have to do a little spot pudy on them. I had to completely redo the left side. There was so much add a little sand a little Rolling Eyes I have to get everything as close to perfect since it’s going to be black. I may get the main body painted this week and start installing the interior and dash and then body work fenders, doors, hoods...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Get her done! But take your time, dont rush. Like you said, black shows imperfections way easier than other colors. Your almost over the hump!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Not much for updates again Sad I have just been finishing up some sanding and redid the rear apron, it was awful.
Tomorrow I will hopefully be priming the main body.

I also missed Herbie’s 5 year anniversary, can’t believe I’ve had it this long, just for throwbacks, here are some of the pictures when I got it
That lovely purple window tinting Rolling Eyes One window got cut wrong and put it on the outside, it turned white and you couldn’t see through it, a frosted look. Soon it will be looking better than when I got it Laughing
Airstream65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Looking good!
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Thanks!

Today I got some primer down, I didn’t have any high build so I couldn’t do that today Sad The primer was black and I was really impressed with my body work! It looked great! I’m finally making some postable progress again!

Edit: the primer may look a little weird because if lighting and the coverage.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Got the high build primer done today, getting close! Sanding tomorrow

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

very nice! job well done Very Happy what brand of primers did you use? spray gun? filter or no? thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
very nice! job well done Very Happy what brand of primers did you use? spray gun? filter or no? thanks

Thanks! I am using a PPG paint system, I have a Neiko spray gun. I do filter it before it goes into the gun.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Got some finish paint on today and a coat of clear on. 5 years later, I’m close to done Rolling Eyes Very Happy there were tons of air bubbles in the clear.

Let’s not forget clean up Laughing

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

bring the FIRE Twisted Evil nice work tho. are you going to clear it or leave it as single stage?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Thanks! The paint system I’m using you have to use clear coat. I put on the first coat of clear and it’s has ton of air bubbles so guess what? I get to sand the entire car again Brick wall Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad This car has taught me I enjoy the mechanical parts of restoration, welding, I don’t even mind a little body work, but I hate sanding body filler and primer, it seems like you sand for an eternity and then have to start over or you barely make any progress. I will be happy to have the main body done. But then I still have fenders, doors, hoods Sad but I’m so close to done. It will be nice to be done with body work.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Jeez, it’s been about a month Shocked I had to resend everything and then I sprayed base coat again and clear coated it, it looks much better. I have to sand a few runs and then I will put the final coat of clear on Smile it’s cooled off enough to paint and do body work again.

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

I got a little done. I got some parts stripped, body worked, and primed. The one I ran out on when I took the picture and has a cool look

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Hurry and get it painted before it gets too cold Shocked
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

I got some sanding done and some more high build on. No pictures since there is nothing much to see. Hopefully some parts will get finish paint this weekend
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

I have pictures! I got the hoods and sunroof panel sanded, had to high build prime them, sand again and did base an clear coat. The clear had some runs but they’ll sand out. I still have one coat left to do if clear.

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Now comes the expensive part.........

RUBBER SEALS!!!! Rolling Eyes Shocked Very Happy

buy the german cip1 seals. they have great reviews, and wont break the bank. I did some totaling up, and about $500-$700 bucks can get you all the seal you need from them.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Now comes the expensive part.........

RUBBER SEALS!!!! Rolling Eyes Shocked Very Happy

buy the german cip1 seals. they have great reviews, and wont break the bank. I did some totaling up, and about $500-$700 bucks can get you all the seal you need from them.

Yeah, they aren’t cheap, I bought a kit from Jbugs Confused it was $600ish. They’ve been sitting in my stock for 3-4 years. How I thought this was going to be done three years ago Embarassed my other volksies need a lot of new seal though. Probably a grand worth between them Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: