Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Whoo-hoo! I got it uncovered and drive it a few miles. Having a major carb problem though, I guess that’s what I get for letting it sit for 1+ years Rolling Eyes
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

I got a kinda funny story for you guys, I got the carb issue fixed, it was a plugged accelerator pump. The brass tube sticking into the carb by the choke was plugged so it wasn't giving it the fuel it needed. Anyways, I was test driving it going down the road back and forth, I think annoying the mail truck zooming by him. Then, All the sudden it felt like someone threw an anchor while I'd was going 55-60 and I slammed forward into the seat belt. Well, the engine just died all the sudden was why, I coasted off to the side of into the drive way of this notoriously grumpy old lady and I was thinking please don't come out. Then the mail truck went by and the guy was probably laughing at me, saying karma got me Laughing I tried to start it and nothing, no dash lights. So I figure I should look at the ignition. Well, the main power wire had just fallen off between the fuse box and the headlights. Reconnected it and went back home. Maybe it not that funny of a story. Moral is make sure you electric connections are tight Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Got the fenders undercoated, some blasting and body work done.

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

I got some sanding done yesterday, looks pretty good. I got it polished, still a lot to go. I will probably have more time to work on it since High schools got shut down in Michigan. So I will probably go to the junkyard

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

looks great. what product did you end up using to undercoat the fenders?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Thanks, I used truck bed liner Laughing I will check what brand. It was from tractor Supply
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

yup. raptor liner is what ive used. not very impressed. too hard imo. but then again idk why i expect bed liner to hold when the sheet behined metal was dented lol.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

It was rustoleum bed liner.

Today I got windshield installed. It was going well, down to the last two inches to pull the seal over and it cracked, it was because there was a stone chip in the windshield Crying or Very sad

I got the wiper system in and they are working okay, at low setting it sounds not great.

I got some of the headliner installed it’s looking pretty good. Not many wrinkles. I only got the door post in and the rear window surround.

I also got some wet sanding and polishing done.

I would post photos but I tried to upload 5 images and after 20 minutes they still hadn’t uploaded. Slow cell reception
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

yup. i am also cursed when it comes to removing windshields Laughing not the side or rear windows, just windshields...
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Removing windshield Shocked that should be the easy part. But I’m 0/2 on install Crying or Very sad the Squareback crack because I was tapping it with a rubber mallet and hit the edge.

Here are some pics. Before sand part way done

The piece under the rear window isn’t done
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

not too shabby at all on the headliner. i like your color of choice on the seats as well Smile
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
not too shabby at all on the headliner. i like your color of choice on the seats as well Smile

Thanks! Lol, those are the same seat covers as when I got the car, their TMI and I think they have to be about 20 years old and they are still perfect
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Got the rear windshield in and didn’t crack it Dancing Dancing Dancing
Just having two windows and part of a headliner in makes it feel like so much more of a rear car. Maybe tomorrow I will get the sunroof in Shocked But, I will still have the doors and fenders to body and paint. The engine to reseal, a tranny mount to fix, I find more. But it looks like a rear car Very Happy

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Got the one quarter window in and the rest of the headliner. The sunroof is partially installed

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

heyy! its startin to lool like a car Very Happy
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
heyy! its startin to lool like a car Very Happy

My thoughts exactly!
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Finished up a few things, went for a drive and now getting put away for the winter since the body is done and now just fenders and doors

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Lol. Your really close now Smile
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

No progress but I drive it around and warmed up the engine just some pics

carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Looking real nice. Little by little it gets finished. Just keep plugging away.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: