Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1961 Bus roof needs replacing
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brokevwguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: 1961 Bus roof needs replacing Reply with quote

I just bought my bus and I have a roof that I feel is to far gone to be fixed. Do they make full roof skins? If the do who sells them. Also does anyone know of a thread that shows a roof replacement being done. I looked on youtube as well with no luck.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1961 Standard
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bus roof needs replacing Reply with quote

I hope you are an established intermediate welder or better because it will be quite a burden to learn metal forming skills at the same time. Laughing

I don't have the resources for a bus project but when I looked into it a splitwindow that needed body panels welded on plus a full restoration otherwise ,started at $3,000 and up.

More critical bus panels are available verses a type 1 but if the roof is that bad the rest of the bus would have to make it worth it. I have never seen roof sections new. I think you need at least another Parts Bus for your project.

The only other advice I can offer is for you to learn how to use a English/forming wheel. I think a HF model is under $500 complete.
Ran When Parked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bus roof needs replacing Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

There are some used ones in the classifieds and a few ads for drip rail sections. Also, at least one tread on roof replacement is around here somewhere.

I need to do one but I'm lazy. I bought the entire roof clip from a member here for $400 about a year and a half ago.

If you do it, please start a thread and name it where the next guy can easily find it via search.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bus roof needs replacing Reply with quote

Great find! Very Happy If you go through with the BBT roof please report back on how the cost breaks down and where it shipped from.
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bus roof needs replacing Reply with quote

This thread was referenced here just a couple days ago, I think. They are doing a full roof panel, and IIRC, its the BBT ones. Not sure how much detail they go into.

http://www.retro-resto.co.uk/?p=151
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brokevwguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bus roof needs replacing Reply with quote

I sent BBT a message asking for info on the roof. It looks like they do not ship them though. I will report back with any further info. I might have to do like you did and buy a donor roof.

1961 Standard
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bus roof needs replacing Reply with quote

Welcome to the club! I hope your welding skills are up to par. They will be when you are done. If you expect the worst you will likely be rewarded with something beyond your expectations. Here is my journey so far. The fun begins with the roof about halfway down-
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=40
The work is not impossible. Parts are relatively easy to find and sometimes they are affordable. I think the most important lesson I am learning is to ask for help when you are stumped.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bus roof needs replacing Reply with quote

Fabricator John put one on my late bay and its a challenge to find the marks.

All started with a 68 carcass found in Yuma for $250 plus $100 for the u-haul.

Then he cut off the old roof and built fillers for the windows - so they would fit back on. and welded till it all fit. minimum of bondo and som old headliner in side on the verticals- Surprised Laughing Laughing

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bus roof needs replacing Reply with quote

The roof is going to be the least of you worries, the rot is likely to go all the way down the pillars and eat up all the holllow framing around the inside of the roof. A skin would do you no good.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bus roof needs replacing Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
The roof is going to be the least of you worries, the rot is likely to go all the way down the pillars and eat up all the holllow framing around the inside of the roof. A skin would do you no good.

Got to agree. Procured a roof for our SO-34, that afterward found there had been a very small leak in the left front of the roof. This lead to some rust in the roof, but most of the damage in the upper frame over the LF door. Had to find another smaller donor piece that had the door frame....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462164&highlight=wounded+westie
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bus roof needs replacing Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

Got to agree. Procured a roof for our SO-34, that afterward found there had been a very small leak in the left front of the donor roof. This lead to some rust in the roof, but most of the damage in the upper frame over the LF door. Had to find another smaller donor piece that had the door frame....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462164&highlight=wounded+westie

Jacco Verveer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bus roof needs replacing Reply with quote

Good to know they make roofs

But when a roof is rotten almost always the "bare" metal is very rusty airbox etc

Did a swap but that was a small roof
The bottom was in fair condition but only because isolation soaked up all the moister

finding good donor metal is almost impossible now

brokevwguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bus roof needs replacing Reply with quote

Does anyone know what roof years will fit on my 61?

1961 Standard
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bus roof needs replacing Reply with quote

brokevwguy wrote:

Later 55 thru 67.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bus roof needs replacing Reply with quote

We did the roof replacement on a bay a few months ago for my one tech. Did it in the parking lot of another shop with minimal tools (the other shop was locked and you would laugh at what we did - than God I brought my sawzall) Did like the one set of pics, but cut about 4" down each of the pillars except at the rear. We cut at the body line at the crease near the bottom of the windows back there.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bus roof needs replacing Reply with quote

Did BBT get back to you yet? Is their interpreter on vacation? Laughing
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bus roof needs replacing Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
brokevwguy wrote:

Later 55 thru 67.

Didn't the rear corner profile change slightly with the swap to the wider rear hatch for the 64 model year? Not talking about the profile at the rain gutter, but the actual roof compound curve at the rear corners.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bus roof needs replacing Reply with quote

Looks like it did change at end of 1963 model year.

Still the later roof with the slight change will fit the earlier bus.

More of the parts manual here:

http://www.oacdp.org/
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bus roof needs replacing Reply with quote

It's been 2 weeks. Any word from BBT yet?
brokevwguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Bus roof needs replacing Reply with quote

They have sent me messages saying they will have sales get in contact with me. Have not heard from them though.

1961 Standard
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: