Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brought home a nice 1966 Convertible Driver
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67Vw2387
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Brought home a nice 1966 Convertible Driver Reply with quote

I Picked up a clean 66 vert last week , my first Beetle Vert ! Finally got a chance to take it out for a decent drive as we left for vacation the day after I brought it home .
Car runs and drives great , I am very happy with it .
It was restored 8 years ago , has some touch ups and areas of future repair showing but it drives great and still presents nicely .
If anyone sees anything worth mentioning ( other than the ^ visors ) please let me know as I am new to the Beetle Verts.
Thank you
j
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Brought home a nice 1966 Convertible Driver Reply with quote

Very Nice, Nothing better that driving down the road with the top down.
Also I think your missing the Karmann Badge on your right front quarter panel.
The below pic is of VertJohn's '65, but you get the idea.

Last edited by lovethatconvertible on Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Brought home a nice 1966 Convertible Driver Reply with quote

Very nice.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Brought home a nice 1966 Convertible Driver Reply with quote

Great looking 66! I'm (Java) green with envy!
67Vw2387
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Brought home a nice 1966 Convertible Driver Reply with quote

thank you guys
badge area must have been filled in ( great feedback )
has an H motor in it , with the tranny ratios it has nice torque , easy to drive .
Not very long winded like my 71 Ghia I've been driving
I'll get an engine pic this weekend , needs a few things & detail .
been trying to figure out the color , think it might have been an OG Java Green car ....Diablo , your 66 coupe is sweet , love Java Green Bugs !
zwitter53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Brought home a nice 1966 Convertible Driver Reply with quote

Great car ! You must be happy with it.

I just got my first Convertible, a 1965, so I guess I´m in the same situation as you Very Happy

regards

Tomas
72 Audi 100 1,8 LS 4d
83 Audi 200 turbo
85 VW Passat Carat
89 Audi Coupé 2,3E, first owner: VW AG
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Brought home a nice 1966 Convertible Driver Reply with quote

Hello pretty!
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67Vw2387
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Brought home a nice 1966 Convertible Driver Reply with quote

Thanks,
I just backed it out of the garage and the 71 red Ghia ragtop ( not vert ) next to it ....I have almost double into the Ghia and this 66 Bug makes the Ghia look BLAH...real BLAH !!!
Think it may be time to thin out the Ghia herd ....Ghia frenzy might be over Smile
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Brought home a nice 1966 Convertible Driver Reply with quote

That's nice!!!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Brought home a nice 1966 Convertible Driver Reply with quote

Beetles are/were cheap. That's what always made them nice. My first car was a Beetle. Those days might be over for modern families.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67Vw2387
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Brought home a nice 1966 Convertible Driver Reply with quote

Thanks CT ....
Nice day to cruise the two

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Brought home a nice 1966 Convertible Driver Reply with quote

How does that work? You drive one 500 feet, walk back to the other, drive it 1000 feet and repeat?
67Vw2387
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Brought home a nice 1966 Convertible Driver Reply with quote

Ya something like that or just drive one around , come home and grab a different car and REPEAT THAT ...a time or two , then repeat that ...a time or two and so on and so on ...it's complicated ..... Wink
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Brought home a nice 1966 Convertible Driver Reply with quote

I'm glad we understand each other. My wife says, "You can't drive more than 1". I beg to differ.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Brought home a nice 1966 Convertible Driver Reply with quote

Is that a Wolfsburg crest on the hood? On a 1966?

Is that a 'vert thing?

Last edited by Abscate on Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total
67Vw2387
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Brought home a nice 1966 Convertible Driver Reply with quote

Haha...shhhhhhh , I bought another beetle today ....my significant other is very frugal but understanding of my VW addiction these last 3 years ...
It's easy to drive them all , it's a pain in the ass moving them and the m/c's in and out and back in the garages .
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Brought home a nice 1966 Convertible Driver Reply with quote

67Vw2387 wrote:
Haha...shhhhhhh , I bought another beetle today ....my significant other is very frugal but understanding of my VW addiction these last 3 years ...
Man your gonna need another garage!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
67Vw2387
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Brought home a nice 1966 Convertible Driver Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Is that a Wolfsburg crest on the hood? On a 1966?

Is that a 'vert thing?

not sure on the crest , doesn't fit very well or look right but i have seen them on others ....

CT ....selling many , many VW's
67Vw2387
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Brought home a nice 1966 Convertible Driver Reply with quote

So the heater boxes are still on the car , but there are no hoses coming off the fan shroud holes to the boxes .
Also for whatever reason the connectors on the exhaust to where you would attach the shroud hoses are no longer on the exhaust ....making it pretty difficult to attach hoses .
I have not driven the car very far , for fear of running it too hot .
Also have been reading all the posts on J tubes / freeze plugs / caps etc
I've read heater boxes not connected to the fan shroud are holding a lot of heat for the heads .
Oil temps seem ok at 190 but I'm worried about the head temp.
What are my options ?
Replace the exhaust ?
Add J tubes ?
right now I have capped the fan shroud and plugged the engine tin holes .
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Brought home a nice 1966 Convertible Driver Reply with quote

67Vw2387 wrote:
So the heater boxes are still on the car , but there are no hoses coming off the fan shroud holes to the boxes .
Also for whatever reason the connectors on the exhaust to where you would attach the shroud hoses are no longer on the exhaust ....making it pretty difficult to attach hoses.

What are my options ?

I think you might need "F" in this diagram http://www.jbugs.com/category/vw-bug-karmann-ghia-super-beetle-heater-parts.html But this diagram should help you see what you need. And/or you could post a photo here of what yours looks like.

67Vw2387 wrote:
I have not driven the car very far , for fear of running it too hot. Oil temps seem ok at 190 but I'm worried about the head temp.
right now I have capped the fan shroud and plugged the engine tin holes

I think you're worried about too much. True, convertibles do not have that horizontal row of cooling slots above the engine lid, so if you're running a 1600cc or larger engine consider lid standoffs, the tennis ball trick, etc.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: