Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 vw bus: rear bumper brackets qn - UPDATE!! So mad!!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chamilka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: 71 vw bus: rear bumper brackets qn - UPDATE!! So mad!! Reply with quote

I bought two new aftermarket rear bumper brackets set for my 1971 VW bus. It seems they have given me two rear right side ones. I also have one original rear bracket with two hoops which came as a spare part so I assume it is for the 71.
Q1 : do 67-72 have the same brackets?
Q2: the one with two hoops, is it for left or right?
Thank you in advance

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by chamilka on Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 vw bus: rear bumper brackets qn Reply with quote

Just today I installed an aftermarket rear bumper with aftermarket brackets on a 1967 split bus. I had to order the mount brackets (which are both the same for left and right) because the later bay brackets I already had were different. In your picture the top looks like a bay brackets and the bottom two look like what I installed on the 1967.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: 71 vw bus: rear bumper brackets qn Reply with quote

Hello, The original one with the two hoops on it, goes on the right side. It's that way on my 71.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 71 vw bus: rear bumper brackets qn Reply with quote

211-707-336/A is the right side, 211-707-335/C is the left side.
chamilka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 71 vw bus: rear bumper brackets qn Reply with quote

Thanks All
That makes sense, looks like all three are for the right side hence not fitting to the bumper well. I will order the left side.
Thank you all again
chamilka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 vw bus: rear bumper brackets qn - UPDATE!! So mad!! Reply with quote

I figured out why the bumper brackets don’t fit – I have been supplied with a wrong bumper.
Per the link below: bumper hole distance is different between 68-71 & 72.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=609990
The bumper that Jbugs had given me is defiantly for 72 unfortunately, the bumper holes measure 38.5 and 46.5 Sad. I had the bumper painted in pastel white as a part of the restoration. Now I am stuck with a painted bumper that will not fit. I called Jbugs, they looked at my old invoice, the invoice has the correct item (211707311F - VW Rear Bumper, Type 2 Bus models 1968-71) but when they gave be the bumper from the warehouse they must have given the 72. I actually collected it personally from the shop.
I guess I can drill some new holes, but then the bumper will end up with extra holes which can be unsightly.
Another question: Do I need to buy the splash pans in order to be able to mount rear bumper to the L/R corners.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: 71 vw bus: rear bumper brackets qn - UPDATE!! So mad!! Reply with quote

Drill new holes weld up old ones repaint and move on....sucks you got the wrong one but its easily solved

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: 71 vw bus: rear bumper brackets qn - UPDATE!! So mad!! Reply with quote

You need splash pans to avoid "flop" at the end of the bumper. Once you re-drill the holes the 72 bumper will fit fine. The aftermarket bumpers are on the thin side so tack in a strip on the back of the un-needed holes before you fill in on the front. I would also clamp in a heat sink before welding to avoid distortion.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: 71 vw bus: rear bumper brackets qn - UPDATE!! So mad!! Reply with quote

Or find some pretty chrome or rubber plugs for the bonus holes, maybe even a sticker?

X2 on needing the pans, the ends flap up and down without them.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 71 vw bus: rear bumper brackets qn - UPDATE!! So mad!! Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Or find some pretty chrome or rubber plugs for the bonus holes, maybe even a sticker?

X2 on needing the pans, the ends flap up and down without them.

or some overriders?
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: 71 vw bus: rear bumper brackets qn - UPDATE!! So mad!! Reply with quote

Or sell the '72 bumper (it is a one-year-only part, so some '72 restorer would want it I should think) and get the proper one. Maybe the seller would do you a solid since they screwed this up in the first place.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 71 vw bus: rear bumper brackets qn - UPDATE!! So mad!! Reply with quote

X2 ^^^^^^

68-71 Bumper on top, 72 on bottom

Tcash
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 vw bus: rear bumper brackets qn - UPDATE!! So mad!! Reply with quote

I think that 1972 bumper is a rarity. There have been threads where folks are looking for good ones and can't find them. You may be able to make money on the deal by selling it rather than drilling it.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 vw bus: rear bumper brackets qn - UPDATE!! So mad!! Reply with quote

he bought this from J-Bugs....so it's not like he's sitting on a gold mine here...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 vw bus: rear bumper brackets qn - UPDATE!! So mad!! Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I think that 1972 bumper is a rarity. There have been threads where folks are looking for good ones and can't find them. You may be able to make money on the deal by selling it rather than drilling it.

They may be somewhat rare, but apparently not in high demand. I've had a decent one on sale here for over a month. Haven't got one email for it yet. Maybe I'm overpriced, or maybe it's because I put "local pick up only". I don't know.

Looking for a VW club in Southern California? Check out Inland Valley Volkswagens: www.ivvw.org
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 vw bus: rear bumper brackets qn - UPDATE!! So mad!! Reply with quote

djdh68dlux wrote:
SGKent wrote:

They may be somewhat rare, but apparently not in high demand. I've had a decent one on sale here for over a month. Haven't got one email for it yet. Maybe I'm overpriced, or maybe it's because I put "local pick up only". I don't know.

local pickup only pretty much guarantees that if there is no 1972 bus that needs a bumper in your area you have no buyers. You need to get an account with Golden State Overnight. Really reasonable trucking in CA, AZ and I think OR now too.
chamilka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: 71 vw bus: rear bumper brackets qn - UPDATE!! So mad!! Reply with quote

Thanks for all your comments. This project has become very expensive as I try to do everything right, got the entire bus rust free/proof, got it painted professionally, pretty much nuts and bold restoration.
It sucks that I have to get a new bumper and send it for painting etc. again.
thanks all, its good to have a place to vent Smile
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 vw bus: rear bumper brackets qn - UPDATE!! So mad!! Reply with quote

I ended up with a 72 Bumper and didn't know it.

These are measurements I took at the time:

djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 vw bus: rear bumper brackets qn - UPDATE!! So mad!! Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
local pickup only pretty much guarantees that if there is no 1972 bus that needs a bumper in your area you have no buyers. You need to get an account with Golden State Overnight. Really reasonable trucking in CA, AZ and I think OR now too.

Eh, you're probably right. I figured since my area was Southern California someone with a 72 would materialize. You know us SoCal people... we think the world revolves around us Razz Razz

Looking for a VW club in Southern California? Check out Inland Valley Volkswagens: www.ivvw.org
chamilka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 vw bus: rear bumper brackets qn - UPDATE!! So mad!! Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
I ended up with a 72 Bumper and didn't know it.

These are measurements I took at the time:

Thank you, yes I looked at your post and that how I knew I got the wrong one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: