Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

700 mile road trip in a 74 bug we've never driven.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: 700 mile road trip in a 74 bug we've never driven. Reply with quote

This should be fun Shocked

Xatie and I are flying down to the Bay Area to pick up a 74 standard my brother in law purchased at an estate sale. The plan is to take 2 days to drive back to Portland,OR. It's in pretty good shape and I had Robbie (asiab3) do a pre purchase inspection before I committed to buying it. He then went through it and did anything he felt needed to be done for the long hall. Including new fuel lines. (Not shown in pictures, that's all been fixed). We have a 72 and 76 bus. So the type 1 is new territory for me. This will be Xatie's little fun bug for around town and not a daily. She's been wanting one and had a type 3 as a teenager. I've ordered a Bentley and will be bringing a set a tools I normally roll with in the bus. Including timing strobe, multimeter, and dwell meter. Robbie picked up an extra belt and points/condenser for the ride up.

My question:
-What essential tools/ sizes to pack that might not used in a late bay to bring?
-Extra spares like fuses and spare bulbs. that differs from a bus?
-Any other tips traveling that distance in a bug to consider?

Yes, I could just ask Robbie for this info but I wanted the collective thoughts of the forum and introduce the newest ACVW to our fleet. We will hopefully have time to put together a road trip post when we pick it up in a couple of weeks. Thanks all.

Needs some love in here. Shocked
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Robbie getting busy

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked

Last edited by Xevin on Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Preparing for 700 mile road trip in 74 bug we've never driven Reply with quote

Hi. Tire change tools present in the car and if they function. Condition of spare tire and transaxle oil. Spare throttle cable.
Nice looking type 1. Wonder why the rear bumper brkt's seem to be '73 and earlier?
Are the fresh air hoses hooked up to the heater boxes properly with the current exhaust?
On road trips especially I like to install my Berg oil dipstick sensor.
Hope this helps and good luck, Bill.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Preparing for 700 mile road trip in 74 bug we've never driven Reply with quote

Bumpers and front seats indicate that it's a '73.

Bring an extra condenser, points, engine oil. If recently tuned, you should be good to go.

Nice looking bug, by the way.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
irun5k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Preparing for 700 mile road trip in 74 bug we've never driven Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

Looking at the brackets openings in the fenders, it looks like the rear brackets are the 73 and below style (vertical bar) and the front are 74 and up (round tube)? Or am I crazy?
garyloos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Preparing for 700 mile road trip in 74 bug we've never driven Reply with quote

Looks good , enjoy the trip home!

1972 Super Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Preparing for 700 mile road trip in 74 bug we've never driven Reply with quote

might want to have robbie add some berrynmans carb cleaner/injector/fuel system cleaner and go for some long rides in the hills&whatnot. then change the oil&filter and fuel filters again before a day or so before you head out. be sure to check all tires and gear lube too. have fun!! ( dried fuel in a carb may run fine but it does change the jet sizes and you do not want to leen it out,thus the carb/fuel system cleaner. the berrymans is the best Ive found and it's about $3.17 at wally world.

also check all lights,if the headlights are dull put some good h4's in it and..leds in them instead of the halogone's.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Preparing for 700 mile road trip in 74 bug we've never driven Reply with quote

Nice looking bug.

Safety first. Make sure brakes work properly and no leaks. Make sure suspension components are good and safe. Make sure tires are not dry rotted and studs torque properly. Check oil, trans fluid and brake fluid for leaks.

You already went through the fuel system so that's good. Maybe take apart the carb and give it a good clean up.

Have fun!!!
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Preparing for 700 mile road trip in 74 bug we've never driven Reply with quote

Can't wait to follow this one...

Popcorn
labraynard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Preparing for 700 mile road trip in 74 bug we've never driven Reply with quote

You might want to carry a spare fan belt and a throttle cable...cheap insurance.
Also a fire extinguisher.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Preparing for 700 mile road trip in 74 bug we've never driven Reply with quote

AAA card. Cool
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Preparing for 700 mile road trip in 74 bug we've never driven Reply with quote

Appreciate the tips. I totally would have forgot to check spare tire for air and an operational jack. Mechanically, I'm feeling pretty good about it. Robbie (asiab3) spent about 4 hours going through it.
This is the sort of "Spitballing ideas" I'm looking for. Keep them coming.

Just saw reply about throttle cable and extinguisher. Having these things onboard the buses, I knew I'd forget these basics. Plus l will pack my IR temp
gun to help learn the tendencies of the engine heat.

Thank you.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked

Last edited by Xevin on Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Preparing for 700 mile road trip in 74 bug we've never driven Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
might want to have robbie add some berrynmans carb cleaner/injector/fuel system cleaner and go for some long rides in the hills&whatnot. then change the oil&filter and fuel filters again before a day or so before you head out. be sure to check all tires and gear lube too. have fun!! ( dried fuel in a carb may run fine but it does change the jet sizes and you do not want to leen it out,thus the carb/fuel system cleaner. the berrymans is the best Ive found and it's about $3.17 at wally world.

also check all lights,if the headlights are dull put some good h4's in it and..leds in them instead of the halogone's.

That was without a doubt the most coherent and best spelled post I have ever seen out of mark tucker. No offense intended, just sayin.
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Preparing for 700 mile road trip in 74 bug we've never driven Reply with quote

irun5k wrote:
Tim Donahoe wrote:

Looking at the brackets openings in the fenders, it looks like the rear brackets are the 73 and below style (vertical bar) and the front are 74 and up (round tube)? Or am I crazy?

You're not crazy. Looks like it had a rear apron repair and they used 73 fenders and apron.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Preparing for 700 mile road trip in 74 bug we've never driven Reply with quote

That VW looks like it has been well taken care of. The suggestions posted above are good, especially with spare tire tools, can of Fix-a-Flat, spare accelerator cable, maybe spare clutch cable (and nuts for both those cables), spare fan belt.

I think you're actually going to have a trouble-free return.

I was wondering why you don't get a VW tow bar and drive down and tow it back?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Preparing for 700 mile road trip in 74 bug we've never driven Reply with quote

74 front fenders with a 73 front bumper, but 73 rear fenders with a 74 rear bumper. Shocked As mentioned earlier, those front seats are not 74. I'd be concerned about why this car has so many different year parts to it if it is titled as a 74.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Preparing for 700 mile road trip in 74 bug we've never driven Reply with quote

Well, it's a 43 year old car. Lots of time for parts to be replaced with whatever was available and that fit.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Preparing for 700 mile road trip in 74 bug we've never driven Reply with quote

maybe move the fuel filter away from top of dizy...
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Preparing for 700 mile road trip in 74 bug we've never driven Reply with quote

When I bought my bug back in 2012, I drove it a hundred miles through the mountains to get it home. My wife was behind me in another car, though.

The rebuilt motor was nice and strong, the transmission recently rebuilt; but the front tires and the front end--very scary (a thousand dollars cured that).

There is nothing so exciting as buying a vintage VW and driving it home. Seven hundred miles? Well, lots of excitement, no doubt.

Have a safe trip, and take some pictures along the way.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Preparing for 700 mile road trip in 74 bug we've never driven Reply with quote

I never could figure out why folks would do this, take off in a car they know nothing about. I've sold a few to folks that did it though. One fella took off in a 58 Ghia bound for El Paso, another drove to West Virginia. But the riskiest drive was at sub zero temps in a 62 bug with stale air heat wearing only a light jacket. My only advice have a cellphone and keep to they major roads. I'm betting you'll get there without incident. Have fun and build some memories Very Happy
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Preparing for 700 mile road trip in 74 bug we've never driven Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
Well, it's a 43 year old car. Lots of time for parts to be replaced with whatever was available and that fit.

Max

Possible, but the bumper brackets/shocks for a 73 and 74 are nowhere close to being interchangeable which would lead me to believe that if this is a 74 there could very well have been some severe rear end damage and it was pieced back together using 73 chassis & body parts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: