Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator question
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brando06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator question Reply with quote

Charged the battery, its now reading 12.38.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator question Reply with quote

That is way low. If that was after charging overnight, suspect battery is on the way out.
brando06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator question Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
That is way low. If that was after charging overnight, suspect battery is on the way out.

Really? It was brand new. Maybe I'll try charging for longer. It wasn't overnight. It was just til the light turned green on the charger.

What should it be at? I thought from that chart on page 1, it is at about 70%.
rottenkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator question Reply with quote

Where did you purchase the battery from? Maybe you should take it back and have the battery checked out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brando06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator question Reply with quote

rottenkid wrote:
Where did you purchase the battery from? Maybe you should take it back and have the battery checked out.

NAPA
rottenkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator question Reply with quote

I have Napa batteries in my motorhome. Good batteries. They are Four years old, which is good four deep cell batteries.

I know my meters never show batteries charged beyond what your getting. Do you have anyone in the Vancouver area that can help you remove your alternator so you can have it tested. Any rebuilder will test the alternator for free.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brando06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator question Reply with quote

rottenkid wrote:
I have Napa batteries in my motorhome. Good batteries. They are Four years old, which is good four deep cell batteries.

I know my meters never show batteries charged beyond what your getting. Do you have anyone in the Vancouver area that can help you remove your alternator so you can have it tested. Any rebuilder will test the alternator for free.

I see people from Vancouver on here, but not sure of anyone who would be willing to help.
rottenkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator question Reply with quote

Try emailed the people in your area for help. VW people usually stick together. I'm sure someone will lend you a hand.

When you own a bus, you have to learn to work on the bus yourself. If someone can guide you, then you will gain the confidence to work on your own.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator question Reply with quote

rottenkid wrote:
Do you have anyone in the Vancouver area that can help you remove your alternator so you can have it tested. Any rebuilder will test the alternator for free.

Earlier this year, when I pulled the engine to do the carb to FI swap, I removed the alternator and took it to O'Reilly's to test it. Wouldn't you know.... their diagnostic computer said it could only be tested when it's mounted on the vehicle!

So it may be worth a call to a local FLAPS to find out if their computer tells them the same thing. (BTW... I haven't taken it back to have it checked, even though it's been installed for several months. "If it works, don't fix it!")

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator question Reply with quote

brando06 wrote:

70% is pretty crap for a battery that just sat on the charger.

When it's fully charged it should read 12.6v or so. That's measured directly across the battery terminals with no load on it.
brando06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator question Reply with quote

rottenkid wrote:
Try emailed the people in your area for help. VW people usually stick together. I'm sure someone will lend you a hand.

When you own a bus, you have to learn to work on the bus yourself. If someone can guide you, then you will gain the confidence to work on your own.

Thanks buddy.
brando06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator question Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
brando06 wrote:

70% is pretty crap for a battery that just sat on the charger.

When it's fully charged it should read 12.6v or so. That's measured directly across the battery terminals with no load on it.

Fair enough. That's with the bus turned on though.
rottenkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator question Reply with quote

I had picked up a $35 70 amp alternator at a swap. I had a rebuilder test that alternator without a problem. The alternator tested Ok. That alternator is in my bus now, for a few months now. The rebuilder had my old alternator rebuilt within two days. I had told the rebuilder there was no rush.
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator question Reply with quote

I'd recommend going to Ashnat alternators and starters. They're on Broadway near Frasier in Vancouver. They're reasonably priced and honest. They can test the alternator weather it's in the vehicle or removed. If it needs to be removed and rebuilt they can probably do that too.

They just rebuilt a 70 amp alternator for me a few weeks ago.
brando06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator question Reply with quote

rusty busty wrote:
I'd recommend going to Ashnat alternators and starters. They're on Broadway near Frasier in Vancouver. They're reasonably priced and honest. They can test the alternator weather it's in the vehicle or removed. If it needs to be removed and rebuilt they can probably do that too.

They just rebuilt a 70 amp alternator for me a few weeks ago.

Thanks man. Good to see someone from Vancouver.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator question Reply with quote

brando06 wrote:

Fair enough. That's with the bus turned on though.

OK that's a different story. You will see the voltage go down a bit if the dome light is on or more if you turn the ignition on.

So if you're saying it's 12.38 with ignition on but engine not running I could see that.

If it's 12.38 with engine running, then your alternator isn't doing anything.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: