Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to me '85 Camper!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldschool84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '85 Camper! Reply with quote

Really recommend you do the fuel lines asap - I just had my garage do it right away but Go Westy has a kit and you seem to have the ability to get in and do it.

Only other major part on my van that needed replacement was the alternator harness - the original is fairly underrated for the current it carries for years and mine was really shot. Got a nice replacement from Jay Brown. You should probably check yours.

Nice van - same color scheme as mine but I have the brown carpet and stripey seat cushions.

Welcome!
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '85 Camper! Reply with quote

oldschool84 wrote:
Really recommend you do the fuel lines asap - I just had my garage do it right away but Go Westy has a kit and you seem to have the ability to get in and do it.

Only other major part on my van that needed replacement was the alternator harness - the original is fairly underrated for the current it carries for years and mine was really shot. Got a nice replacement from Jay Brown. You should probably check yours.

Nice van - same color scheme as mine but I have the brown carpet and stripey seat cushions.

Welcome!

Okay cool, thanks for sharing that about the harness. I'll take a look at mine... Fuel lines and coolant are going in pretty soon, once the budget allows it.
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '85 Camper! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Damaged on removal probably. Things get crumbly.After 32 years.

The eye rolling is jealousy, of course. Wait until instructor finds out you don't have rent and can bill your car out as a combined BnB Lyft, and deduct mileage and class costs as a business expense. May as well open some Wells Fargo accounts to keep all that money....

Woah, I didn't know you could do all that and expense out all those costs?!
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '85 Camper! Reply with quote

Battery light was flashing intermittently on acceleration. Battery and alternator tested bad so I pulled the alternator and found the bracket had snapped in half. I'm glad it broke like this instead of snapping the studs. And I am thankful to have a close friend that is an extremely talented welder.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '85 Camper! Reply with quote

The older alternator mounts are known for breaking.
As you said your lucky a mounting bolt did not break.
You want to upgrade the mounting for more support.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '85 Camper! Reply with quote

ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '85 Camper! Reply with quote

Sweet! ^^^ I installed the same bracket and it was a nightmare last night. I stripped the head where the power steering bracket bolts to the head. And I didn't want to remove that coolant crossover tube, so I cut a box wrench in half and painstakingly tightened the repaired bracket with loctite. Luckily my buddy helped me put in a helicoil on the head and it's all back together.
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '85 Camper! Reply with quote

Update: I replaced my water pump and cross over tube seals and a few hoses.

Had a coolant flush performed at a local shop I trust. Also found my H pipe weeping so I used some gowesty bucks and got an aluminum one. Went back to the trusted shop and picked up some spare coolant for the H Pipe install

ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '85 Camper! Reply with quote

I also replaced my belts with the correct sized belts Mad ...anyways the major update is that things are running MUCH colder and I can enjoy driving instead of locking my eyes to the temp gauge.
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: New to me '85 Camper! Reply with quote

After looking for a long time, I scored a great deal on some CLK wheels. Two had some bad pitting, BUT not much curb rash and they were all straight. With the bad pitting the best option was to powder coat a semi-gloss black to hide that pitting... Now next month I need to email t3, and the month after I will probably be able to afford tires.

caseyl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: New to me '85 Camper! Reply with quote

Wheels look nice!
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '85 Camper! Reply with quote

caseyl wrote:
Wheels look nice!

Thanks caseyl Very Happy
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: New to me '85 Camper! Reply with quote

The original owner of the van gave me this "van can" I thought it was pretty neat even though I probably won't use it.
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: New to me '85 Camper! Reply with quote

So this happened last week!
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: New to me '85 Camper! Reply with quote

Motor swap time!
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: New to me '85 Camper! Reply with quote

Luckily I have a childhood friend that runs the entire service department for a subaru dealership local to me. I had AAA tow there and I am just going to pay them to do the head gaskets, oil pump, water pump, timing belts, etc... Hopefully nothing else.

The car had low miles, but no oil in the pan when I checked it out. No visible oil leaking either. The engine ran fine, the but seller would NOT let me take it for a test drive. Apparently it was rear ended while parked and it was probably slammed into the curb. The front passenger tire would probably explode, the LCA was most likely bent and I am guessing the axle got shoved into the transaxle probably damaging the trans.
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '85 Camper! Reply with quote

I thought I would update this thread.... Someone offered me money for the legacy so I made money on the car.

Anyways I have wanted to do a tdi swap so I picked a BEW car. Been commuting in it and making some money doing courier service for the shop I work for.

FASTT kit!!!!!

Rancho Trans!!!! 4.14 r&p on 28" tires and stock gears. We will see how the stock gears last... Got it with my diesel bellhousing which FAS didn't "know" how it will work out. Might throw the gas bellhousing on when i get around to pulling the engine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: