Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch Chatter and Oil Leaks - no bowden tube?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
degrafex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Clutch Chatter and Oil Leaks - no bowden tube? Reply with quote

Hey all!
Sandrail novice here who is trying to sort some issues out.

-Clutch chatter when starting off in 1st.
-Leaking rear main seal in engine
-Leaking transmission main output shaft seal
-Very sloppy feeling shifter and can be difficult to find gears at times.

So I haven't driven this in a few years, and when I put it away it had a nasty clutch chatter issue in addition to dropping a bit of oil when parked. Being a novice mechanic, I asked around a bit and I was told that the oil was probably getting on the clutch and causing slipping... makes sense.

This year I decided to start working towards making this sweet machine a summer daily driver. Remembering my conversations, I bought a new clutch kit and a new rear main seal. Read up on here, watched some YouTube videos, all seemed to go well. When I got the car running and driving, after about 5 miles I started getting a pretty bad chatter again when starting off in first. When its engaged, its fine but while letting it out at any kind of aggressive rate it's a bucking bronco! I then notice some small oil drips from the same spot when parked.

Upon further inspection the square bolt on the shift linkage coupler was backed out. After tightening that, its a touch easier to find gears but is still sloppy and not precise at all. I'm assuming I can open this up and replace a bushing to get this feeling better? Any advice on what to look for?

Digging deeper on the internet, a buddy of mine stumbled on something called a bowden tube. Neither of us had heard of this, and we determined that whoever initially put this rail together had left it out. Apparently not having this or even having it improperly adjusted can cause symptoms identical to what I'm experiencing with the clutch chatter. After measuring the distance from the clutch cable tube to the bowden tube attachment on the transmission and adding a bit for the desired flex, I ordered one on eBay for like $9 which I hope is the correct size- hopefully will be here by the weekend

Deciding I need to investigate the clutch and leaks again, I pulled the motor last night. I may have screwed up, but I didn't resurface the flywheel the first time around. I dropped that off at the machine shop / engine builder today, and the machinist noted that whoever did it the last time left a very rough finish. I know that's a relative term, but I would call it no where near polished. Is there anything else I should be looking for before I put this back on?

As for the leaks- both the main seal and transmission seal behind the throwout bearing are leaking. Have any of you had this cause a clutch chatter? or are these separate issues that are just a coincidence? I'm trying to fix one thing at a time to see what the actual solution is instead of shotgunning everything at once and not really learning for the future. Any tips on rear main seal installation that newbie's screw up often? I'll be doing it again soon Smile

have a good night guys, I'll report back as I continue on

Lee

no bowden tube
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rear main seal - 1 week old Sad

transmission seal
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Chatter and Oil Leaks - no bowden tube? Reply with quote

Not saying it can't, but usually oil on the clutch causes slipping more then chattering. From your picture, it looks like you are running rubber motor mounts, is this correct? If you are, then you definitely need to install a Bowden tube.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
degrafex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Chatter and Oil Leaks - no bowden tube? Reply with quote

Yeah rubber mounts on this bad boy. Hopefully the tube solves it then! Smile
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Chatter and Oil Leaks - no bowden tube? Reply with quote

That should do it. The only time you can get away without the tube is if you have a solid mounts on the transmission, front and back...frame horn braces help as well by keeping flexing to a minimum. If anything is going to flex, you really should use the tube. Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
degrafex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Chatter and Oil Leaks - no bowden tube? Reply with quote

So after installing the resurfaced flywheel and Bowden tube, all of my clutch chatter seems to be gone- what a relief! I also changed the rear main seal and transmission mainshaft seal which were both leaking. Hopefully the oil will stay now out

Q13931152
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Chatter and Oil Leaks - no bowden tube? Reply with quote

Nice!
Just an FYI, you really ought to have a filter or breather of some kind on the end of the tube that's hanging by the turn signal, especially if you play off road with it any. Open like that dirt can get sucked into the engine.
degrafex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Chatter and Oil Leaks - no bowden tube? Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder! Smile I did order a filter for that which is sitting in my garage, I suppose I need to finish the job and find a good spot for that hose
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Chatter and Oil Leaks - no bowden tube? Reply with quote

Good looking machine, hopefully problems are solved!..

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Chatter and Oil Leaks - no bowden tube? Reply with quote

Good job
You're rail looks like fun, makes me miss the old days. With the wife came the need for a full body(Baja). It's just not the same.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: