Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Case Saver Question
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Case Saver Question Reply with quote

I need to buy some 8mm case savers and I see that they come in 12mm and 14mm sizes. I suspect that the benefit of the 14mm size is that they spread the stress over a larger (16%) area, but at the cost of creating a larger whole in the case. I would imagine that the benefit of the 12mm version is that it requires a smaller whole in the case, and if I pull a stud, I can still install a 14mm case saver. Am I missing anything? Comments?

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Case Saver Question Reply with quote

Which studs do you plan on using 8mm inserts on?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Case Saver Question Reply with quote

8mm studs from Raceware.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have a set Nickies I purchased several years ago. LN Engineering doesn't carry studs that will work for a 36HP project, so I had to purchase 10mm studs from Raceware. I've always been a bit nervous about using 10mm studs with Nickies and a magnesium case, so when I recently discovered that Raceware has expanded its line of 8mm studs, I decided to buy a set.

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Case Saver Question Reply with quote

the small ones work fine. and for large bores they leave more meat around them. if you have a 16% more aera but 20% is only .040 thick....has the 16% helped any thing? also if you pull or screw up the 14.. .....is there room for a 16mm?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Case Saver Question Reply with quote

12mm is fine, IMO 11mm or 7/16 OD would be adequate,

14mm is for fixing oopsies.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Case Saver Question Reply with quote

OOPSIES?? I hope for fixing somebody else's oopsies.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: