Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Key FOB has batteries but not working
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFEurovan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Key FOB has batteries but not working Reply with quote

Hi there, I have a non factory key fob that I got off of amazon. It was working fine for about 5 months. Recently I had some body work on my car. Both doors were removed (we replaced the wire harness for the driver side door which I'm sure the caused the car computer to be reset). Now my key fob won't work. It's got fresh batteries. When I press the button the red lights come on so I know it has power but it no longer unlocks the car. Super annoying considering the eurovan doesn't have a power unlock buttons. You never miss something till it's gone! Any ideas?

Thanks!
Melissa
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Key FOB has batteries but not working Reply with quote

Did the non factory key fob come with its own receiver or is supposed to work of the factory remote key receiver?
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Key FOB has batteries but not working Reply with quote

Do you still have a factory key fob or at least a working one still?
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Key FOB has batteries but not working Reply with quote

There is typically a process (or two) for sync'ing a key Fob remote to VW/Audi. This sometimes needs to be reset when batteries are replaced or the car battery is removed.

If you have vagcom, you can use this tool to sync fobs. If you do not have vagcom but have 2 keys, many VW/audis can be sync'd by putting the original key in the ignition to ACC position and then inserting the key to be programmed in the drivers door. The last steps is something like turning the key to the lock position and pushing the lock button, or maybe its the unlock position and pushing the unlock button.

Google "VW eurovan sync key fob
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Key FOB has batteries but not working Reply with quote

Also, those aftermarket key fobs do fail. Just because the red light comes on doesn't mean it's working. Only real way to tell is to use a VAGCOM to check it out. One car I had bought used had the locks disabled because one of the keys had the open button stuck on and someone was smart enough to disable that system but not just eliminate that key from the system and sync the one that actually still did work.

I do know that a battery change in either the fob or the car does not change the sync of either one of them (it is not battery dependent). I do know that the Eurovan will only store 4 different remotes at a time. This is why with a VAGCOM you can reset the whole system ans start over again.

In the end, the red flag I see is this:
Quote:
Recently I had some body work on my car. Both doors were removed
pwcgecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Key FOB has batteries but not working Reply with quote

I just recently purchased a aftermarket key fob off of ebay, to program. the followig procedure does work:

EUROVAN REMOTE MATCHING:
Put a key in the ignition and turn it on then off within 5 seconds Within 15 seconds turn the ignition back on and lock the drivers door by pushing the button down manually from the inside (you are sitting in the van with the door closed) Press the door unlock button on the remote two times within 30 seconds The remote is now matched to the van. Turn the ignition off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: