Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do you decide on how much boost?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blasted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: How do you decide on how much boost? Reply with quote

Simple question I hope,

When building a turbo engine how do you determine how much boost you want? From reading various threads I get the impression that people aim for specific figures?

If that’s the case what's a good figure to aim for? (VW type 1)

Thanks
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: How do you decide on how much boost? Reply with quote

That depends on many variables.
1) Common detonation points known by trial and error.
2) Type of Fuel.
3) Static Compression
4) Dynamic Compression.
5) Shape of Piston Top / Combustion Chamber.
6) Timing Advance / Retard.
For the street the max is usually in the 10-12 PSI range. Some will stretch it and risk detonation.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: How do you decide on how much boost? Reply with quote

The only thing stopping me is Intake Air Temperatures. I only run 8lbs right now and can't safely run any higher without my IATs skyrocketing because I lack and intercooler or water/meth injection system.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: How do you decide on how much boost? Reply with quote

Just give it a good hard run then count the number of parts on the ground afterwards. Wink

Max
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: How do you decide on how much boost? Reply with quote

As much as possible! I'm at 19 with intercooler in my daily.
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: How do you decide on how much boost? Reply with quote

All of it.... Laughing
Blasted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you decide on how much boost? Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses.

I'm going to order the turbomania book and do a bit of reading but it would be nice to know I'm on the right path with my thinking.

As I understand it boost is the difference in flow between what the turbo pushes out and what the engine can consume i.e an increased pressure in the inlet side of the system.

Primary factors controlling boost are the rpm of the engine, the size of the impeller/compressors of the turbo, the manifold diameter and the flow rate of the engine.

Secondary factors are the fuel type, fuel injectors, ignition, cylinder head flow rate.

Too much boost is bad for the life of the engine. Too little boost defeats the purpose of turboing.

So hypothetically speaking, I thought about building the following, where does the boost factor into the equation?

2007cc engine – 78x90.5
T3/4 turbo
EFI
CB heads with match ported manifolds
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you decide on how much boost? Reply with quote

Compression and octane of the fuel. The less the compression the more boost you can run. But not enough compression and its lazy off boost. It's all about compromise. The higher the octane the more boost (within reason) E85 would be your friend if you have access to it.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you decide on how much boost? Reply with quote

Ultimately you turn it up until you hear a little knock or the clutch starts slipping, then back it down a few pounds.

knock is mainly a function of fuel VS heat. Colder air, colder engine you can get away with more. Lower compression allows more, but important to not go too far with that idea for reasons like you mentioned. What is practical?

Simple setup and premium pump gas, 5-7 pounds
with intercooler and fancier stuff, 10-12
higher octane fuel, or ethanol, 15psi+
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you decide on how much boost? Reply with quote

The turbomania book.... while not a bad read is really quite dated especially if you are planning on EFI.
There are setups running upwards of 30 lbs boost with well designed intake and fuel management systems.
You can run 20 plus lbs. boost on a almost stock engine if you pay attention to detonation and IAT's.
Remember.... the cooler the air the more dense it is and therefore the more fuel you can add without getting too rich.
The two easier ways to gain hp with a turbo is rpm and keeping the intake temps as close to ambient as possible.

Water/Alcohol Injection works pretty good for me and allows me to run 22 plus lbs. boost on an almost stock engine.
Without water injection I might be able to run 15 lbs but with severely retarded timing and only in the cooler times of year.

If I switch off my Electronic Boost Control and go with the stock 6 lb. Subaru waste gate I can go anywhere and everywhere without a worry in the world. I need very little timing retard and no water injection.
It gives me enough extra power to climb any mountain grade at 60 plus mph and no shifting down.
In fact I went 3500 miles to California and back that way.

Flip two switches and I am right back to 22 lbs. boost.

Oh.... and don't forget......once you taste the boost you will be addicted and will turn it up at any cost.......

Here is a log when I was testing boost and hit my overboost protection.

It's kind of hard to read ....

23.2 lbs boost
3608 rpm
129 degrees MAT

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you decide on how much boost? Reply with quote

Way too many variables to give a single answer!

One thing that I found was huge was the ambient air temperature. Summer temps would only allow 10 or 11 psi before detonation reared it's ugly head but at -30 she would run well over 18 psi with no sign of the problem at all! That was running 9.5/1 CR and 120 octane fuel.

Intake air cooling is so important to get consistency!
Blasted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: How do you decide on how much boost? Reply with quote

Thanks for the great replies.

Two things I'm going to have little control over is the quality of the fuel and air temperature/humidity. The UK is variable at best but I would expect more of my driving to be in the summer than the winter.

So, going back to my original point. My confusion came from do you:

1. Build an engine aiming for a specific boost figure,careful components selection and a bit of maths?

or,

2. Build an engine around personal preferences and with turbo in mind, find out your boost and then just tweak the engine to make the most of what you get?

What I'm essentially doing is building a set of requirements, these requirements then influence the engine build plan and component selection.

Requirements to date:

Reliable,requires little ongoing work aside from general maintenance.
    Value for money, I don't want to spend a lot of money for small gains when a different set up for a similar price produces a lot more power.
    I don't want to have to chop into the body or drill holes in firewalls etc. Rear lids got to close.
    Combination of steady town motorway driving, but picks up quick from low down and puts a smile on my face if I plant it.

Thanks
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: How do you decide on how much boost? Reply with quote

Here is my read on this.
Blasted wrote:
Requirements to date:

Reliable,requires little ongoing work aside from general maintenance.

Find a turbo kit supplier with a good reputation, go modest on both boost and compression ratio, then build a good solid engine with quality parts. Avoid the bargain outlets.
Look for a single carb draw through setup for simplicity of tuning and low on going maintenance.
Blasted wrote:
Value for money, I don't want to spend a lot of money for small gains when a different set up for a similar price produces a lot more power.

Turbocharging fits the bill here!!
Blasted wrote:
Combination of steady town motorway driving, but picks up quick from low down and puts a smile on my face if I plant it.

This is the bit that will require the math and careful planning! Turbos tend to take a bit of time to get into action. Matching a turbo for quick low end response and good open road action is a tough one. Generally there are compromises to be made between the two unless you do the twin turbo thing that some car manufacturers are doing now. A small one for good quick off idle snap and a bigger one for the open road.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: How do you decide on how much boost? Reply with quote

Bullet proof it Wink
build it with the best parts
I think about the 'stock rods" in my 1915cc ,,, sometimes Laughing (8-12lbs)
I don't know how their holding up Shocked so far so good Laughing
I have a set of Carillo's in the 2276 and no worry's 15-18 lbs with higher octane, "Your fuel Quality availability will determine your boost levels "
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: How do you decide on how much boost? Reply with quote

Go water injection. Huge gains for the money. I'm running 15 lbs on pump gas and can drive the car 100 miles in 90* heat. Stock head studs-8mm-static CR=7.1. More boost, less compression is better I think than more compression, less boost. More boost= more fuel and air. Good luck.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
Blasted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: How do you decide on how much boost? Reply with quote

Thanks again, plenty of stuff for me to think about.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: How do you decide on how much boost? Reply with quote

What gearbox?
Blasted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you decide on how much boost? Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:
What gearbox?

That's for a different question, my mind is full up with turbo information at the moment. Of course its something that will have to be taken into account.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you decide on how much boost? Reply with quote

Blasted wrote:
Dauz wrote:
What gearbox?

That's for a different question, my mind is full up with turbo information at the moment. Of course its something that will have to be taken into account.

Right on. It is a limiting factor.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you decide on how much boost? Reply with quote

I wood think it's one of 2 things, deeper pocket or butt dyno getting used to it. Wink well you asked. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: