Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Identifying a motor
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheEgg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Identifying a motor Reply with quote

I have a 1965 dune buggy similar to a manx. Unfortunately my father blew up the the engine a couple years back. He put a new one in it and passed the car on to me. I have had a nightmare of a time trying to get parts for it because I have no paperwork on the new motor. All I know is that he got it relatively cheap from an engine builder. I also know it is the "smaller" motor, implying that it was not the 1800cc bus motor. My research has found that it is a dual port most likely a type 1, but possibly a type 3.

The big question I currently have is, are the heads ported. I am currently looking at a new set of intake manifolds, but I dont know if they will bolt on without needing to be hand ported. Is there templates I can print off of popular port designs to compare, or some other way to identify if it is anything but stock?

I read that you can identify what motor you have by looking at a numbers stamped on it. Where are these numbers stamped and what numbers am I looking for? If the numbers are not present, were there any differences in form factor that would cause issues? I know that the type 4 has further apart intake ports, but I dont know anything about the type 2 or 3.

Thank you all for your input

TheEgg
gunslingertom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Identifying a motor Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
gunslingertom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Identifying a motor Reply with quote

This is a 1968 single port 1500, but the number will look something like it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Identifying a motor Reply with quote

The numbers only tell you what the engine was when it left the factory, so for something rebuilt they are pretty useless. Everything inside and outside the engine case could have been replaced at some point in the last 40 or 50 years.

The only way to definitively know what you have is to remove an intake or even the entire head and take a look. There are different factory and aftermarket heads available with all sorts of port shapes and valve sizes, and that's even before they get "ported" by any number of folks who offer that service.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
TheEgg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Identifying a motor Reply with quote

Is there a place that I can look at to see common porting to identify the heads?
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Identifying a motor Reply with quote

Post some photos. We will be able to tell what you have. And others can criticize it safely from home.
TheEgg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Identifying a motor Reply with quote

Will do once I get it pulled. I am currently sourcing the parts to do efi on it, so it really helps to know what I have when I go to build the tune lol.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: