Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Out of the Barn and Back on the Road
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LynnsABCs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Out of the Barn and Back on the Road Reply with quote

My first post . . .

My son owns a 65 camper bus and a 59 356 A coupe Porsche. When he bought a house a few years ago without a garage, his goal was to get enough money saved to get a new 2 car garage built. It was finished early this year.

The attached photos show the bus being towed from the secret barn location to the new garage. We installed the engine last Saturday and now have all the hookups to finish, install muffler, finish the brakes and buy new tires.

The completion goal is May 1st weekend for the Circle Yer Wagons show in Sevierville. Hopefully by posting these photos, the good Karma will help us have it finished in time.

http://www.lynnsabcs.150m.com/mywebsite078.jpg
http://www.lynnsabcs.150m.com/bus1.jpg
http://www.lynnsabcs.150m.com/bus4.jpg
1961 Porsche 356 B Notchback Coupe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those autos are nice and clean. Good luck getting the bus back on the road. The best part is driving them especially after you've done the work yourself.
Hornman
Samba Soul Surfer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean looking splitty! Best of luck getting her up and running!

Enjoy,
vwjosh6070
Driveway Camper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck with the bus! i hope to see it at circle yer wagens!

1973 Transporter "Floyd"

****Wheres my old bus?! 1967 Montgomery Ward Camper****

KI4MXO
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
faster-laster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. However I have a better goal for you. get it fixed by april 15 next week. then you guys can come over with me and go to Everybus in NC.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwjosh wrote:
good luck with the bus! i hope to see it at circle yer wagens!

You coming up for Circle yer Wagens? It'll be a bit of a drive for you. I'm probably going to head up early Sunday morning for the second day of the show, but I can't get up there any earlier... bastard college having finals on a saturday...

faster-laster wrote:
Looks good. However I have a better goal for you. get it fixed by april 15 next week. then you guys can come over with me and go to Everybus in NC.

You have a good time at EB, man. Tell everybody I said hi and to have fun. I'd love to go, but I've goto to head down to Bug-a-palooza for the swap meet. I got some parts to find, and hopefully I'll be picking up some parts too.
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely forgot about the topic... d'oh!

The bus looks good, I'm sure you can have it ready for Circle yer Wagens. Hope to see it there. I can pretty much guarantee that you won't see my bus there... bastard body shop taking forever...
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn nice bus Lynns,
We will see you at the Charlotte Transporter Show on may 15th right? Very Happy

Hey faster, We will be at EB on Saturday, I will be roling in in my green singlecab, look me up while we are there.

Andrew, so your gonna puss out for EB, cant you just drive the muscle car , or is gas to expensive Laughing

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singlesquared wrote:
Andrew, so your gonna puss out for EB, cant you just drive the muscle car , or is gas to expensive Laughing

I'd love to get to EB, but I've got obligations with people to be at Bug-a-palooza. And yes, gas is pretty expensive... Because of the compression ratio of that 455, I can't run anything less than 93 octane. And it get's about 10/12 mpg...

Btw, do you still need a tranny?
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
singlesquared wrote:

I'd love to get to EB, but I've got obligations with people to be at Bug-a-palooza. And yes, gas is pretty expensive... Because of the compression ratio of that 455, I can't run anything less than 93 octane. And it get's about 10/12 mpg...

Btw, do you still need a tranny?

Nah, I just got done with the tranny issue, KSR had a used unit that was known good and he flipped the Ring gear for me. I just got it done yesterday, missed out on a job too. thats teh 3rd time i replaced the transmission and cracked open those stinkin RGBs in 2 months.

You have a Grand National dont you?? you need a tow hitch for it.

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be looking for you guys at EB. I will be rollin my 69 smurfbus. I should have a load of tow bars for sale.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremyrockjock wrote:
I will be looking for you guys at EB. I will be rollin my 69 smurfbus. I should have a load of tow bars for sale.

will those work on early bay beams?

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will work on 55 thru 79.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjosh6070
Driveway Camper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You coming up for Circle yer Wagens? It'll be a bit of a drive for you. I'm probably going to head up early Sunday morning for the second day of the show, but I can't get up there any earlier... bastard college having finals on a saturday...

yeah, i plan on goin. i was gunna go last year in october, but i ended up helpin out a friend swap engines in his cabby. hell, if i have my finals then, ill tell them im too busy to take them.... if i have enough days left and high enough grades.

Quote:
You have a good time at EB, man. Tell everybody I said hi and to have fun. I'd love to go, but I've goto to head down to Bug-a-palooza for the swap meet. I got some parts to find, and hopefully I'll be picking up some parts too.

hell, if i get some heads this weekend or sometime next week, ill see you there. i plan on caravaning up with some buddies of mine friday night.

1973 Transporter "Floyd"

****Wheres my old bus?! 1967 Montgomery Ward Camper****

KI4MXO
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singlesquared wrote:
Nah, I just got done with the tranny issue, KSR had a used unit that was known good and he flipped the Ring gear for me. I just got it done yesterday, missed out on a job too. thats teh 3rd time i replaced the transmission and cracked open those stinkin RGBs in 2 months.

You have a Grand National dont you?? you need a tow hitch for it.

Awesome deal on the tranny. I pulled the complete rear end out of my bus once and put it back in once. If I can help it, I don't want to have to do it again. That was a bit of a PITA.

It's not actually a Grand National, just the same body style. If I painted it black and put on all the GN badges, most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I don't know about a tow hitch, though...
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwjosh wrote:
hell, if i get some heads this weekend or sometime next week, ill see you there. i plan on caravaning up with some buddies of mine friday night.

If you want them, I've got a pair of SP heads, but they need some work. One has a broken off exhaust stud (I pulled this head off the engine in my bus after I broke off that exhaust stud, no idea how many miles are on it or the condition of it other than it works). The other has a spark plug hole that's been cross threaded at some point (this one has been completely rebuilt, though).
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third post in a row, but... Since I seem to know so many people that are showing up, I might have to show up at EB early Sunday morning and hang out for a bit. We'll see.
LynnsABCs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the Bus in a Barn story . . .

We worked all Sat afternoon and most of Sun afternoon.

Got the dual Kadron fuel lines hooked, changed the plugs, installed new plug wires, fuel pump, re-installed the repainted exhaust, set the points and timing. (My son bought a dual outlet Monza exhaust but it wouldn't clear the apron. Great looking exhaust but he didn't want to cut a second slot in the apron.)

We can get the engine running for a few moments with starter fluid, but it won't continue--like it's not getting gas. The Kadrons were full of old gelled gas from sitting before he bought it. I tore down and cleaned them once already. Went back and found that the idle jets were plugged, so I put a small jet reamer thru them to clean them out. The accelerator nozzle (the thing that points down the throat) won't shoot gas when you goose the linkage. I hope it's not plugged up too. I may need to let them soak overnight in a new bucket of carb cleaner.

Due to the old gas, we installed a new fuel tank and have new german fuel line back to the fuel pump. I wasn't familiar with the new style solid top fuel pumps so it took awhile to sort out which was inlet and which was outlet. I'm a beliver in an in-line fuel filter so I can see gas is flowing.

We're making progress but not there yet. We hope to go to Charlotte Transportor show also--but we're not there yet.

Once the engine issues are resolved, the brakes are the last step.

Stay tuned. We will be working nights during the next few weeks + weekends to get it ready.
1961 Porsche 356 B Notchback Coupe
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: