Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just bought a trike and have some questions
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedDirtFarmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Just bought a trike and have some questions Reply with quote

I just bought an Apex/California Custom trike and the origination papers have it listed as a 2009, 1600cc 80 hp engine. After a little googling I'm confused. Most sites say the 1600 is a 36 hp engine. Others say the 2009 California Custom has a 1900cc motor. It appears to be a Mexican motor. Can you get 80 hp from a 1600? Is 80 hp standard for the 1900? Can anyone help me to clear up the confusion.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a trike and have some questions Reply with quote

1600 engines were usually 45hp or slightly better depending on how they were built. According to California Custom Trikes website, they use a new 1915 engine. How its built and who built it is anyone's guess... I doubt they would tell you. But it is possible to get at least 80hp from that size motor. The paperwork probably shows what the engine started out as... a Mexican origin motor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a trike and have some questions Reply with quote

correct me if I'm wrong, but even a poorly built 1915 should be more than 80hp... my 1776 with a major exhaust leak and the timing off still pulled 75hp on a dyno...

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RedDirtFarmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a trike and have some questions Reply with quote

I was wrong about the displacement. I think it's 1900 made in Brazil.

I did a little more digging and also found a number on the motor below the carb AP-09-82 and as far as I can tell it's a '73 - '75 68 hp 1795cc motor that was used on the vw bus.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: