Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oxygen Sensor/EGR important?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ncheney320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Oxygen Sensor/EGR important? Reply with quote

So I have a 1976 bus with California emission and I am trying to set it up to be federal emissions. I had to put a engine in it so I am wondering does deleting the EGR and oxygen sensor will effect performance of the bus? I did purchased a federal emission ECU to replace the original California emission ECU. I replaced the whole heater boxes/exhaust with federal emissions as well. any advice would help. the bus hasn't been running in 35 years

Click to view image
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Sensor/EGR important? Reply with quote

The engine won't care that they are gone. The 79 California just had an O2 sensor without an EGR at all. The first thing anyone should do is unplug the O2 sensor, as it just leans out the mixture.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Sensor/EGR important? Reply with quote

The federal emissions Buses did not have oxygen sensors so the federal ECU you have won't have the bits to deal with the oxygen sensor anyway.

Deleting EGR also likewise won't negatively effect the performance, though it will negatively effect the emission of oxides of nitrogen. Just make sure that you block off the EGR pipe that runs into the intake plenum or else you will create a big vacuum leak.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Sensor/EGR important? Reply with quote

There is some evidence that if the engine is running hot then the EGR will reduce temps and richen the mixture, helping to prevent detonation. I base this statement on Karl's (RIP) posted experiences with overheated pistons on engines that lacked EGR. The original purpose of EGR was to introduce inert gasses into the cylinders thus lowering the amount of oxygen available to burn. This only happens at part throttle. It is turned off at wide open throttle and at idle so there is no power loss. The downside is that the part is not available new and used ones are getting scarce so maintaining it can be a PITA, especially if one uses it as a daily driver and puts 12,000 - 15,000 miles a year on it. EGR service was something like every 30,000 miles.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Sensor/EGR important? Reply with quote

If you have an EGR odometer/clock on your bus, be sure to disable that, too. Unless you are looking forward to an unnecessary 'red light on!' experience. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Sensor/EGR important? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
There is some evidence that if the engine is running hot then the EGR will reduce temps and richen the mixture, helping to prevent detonation. I base this statement on Karl's (RIP) posted experiences with overheated pistons on engines that lacked EGR. The original purpose of EGR was to introduce inert gasses into the cylinders thus lowering the amount of oxygen available to burn. This only happens at part throttle. It is turned off at wide open throttle and at idle so there is no power loss. The downside is that the part is not available new and used ones are getting scarce so maintaining it can be a PITA, especially if one uses it as a daily driver and puts 12,000 - 15,000 miles a year on it. EGR service was something like every 30,000 miles.

Yes....concur....but there is some question as to whether its because the EGR specific ECU had programming to purposely lean out mixture because it,was built to run with EGR.

In other words its not just that the EGR input gas is missing that could the piston burning from being lean. The ECU is integral. Perhaps an ECU change?

I know this was a known issue with some watercooled cars of the day. Owners thought they could just unplug and block off the EGR. With all else functioning....the engine ran worse and there was no way to tune around it. Software driven. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Sensor/EGR important? Reply with quote

I thought Lamda calculations (O2 sensor) include the premise of altered exhaust Air/fuel ratio from EGR valve function. Given that the EGR functions during a prescribed RPM range, and the ECU is calculating RPM, it seems counterintuitive to assume removing any part of that arrangement through component alteration could be anything but good.

So I would agree you would need to change the ECU to a model that does not support EGR, but I have no real idea how all this works at that level... just contemplating. If you do change the ECU in that vein, which ECU would be best? Would you then contemplate a different distributor or spark plug heat range?
Silverboot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Sensor/EGR important? Reply with quote

not sure how relevant this is to the discussion, but i just smogged my 79 CA model with FI. I had Colin visit on his 2016 journey, and during that visit he unplugged the Oxygen Sensor. Everything ran well, and sort of forgot about it.

This past weekend during my smog test, once hooked up, the operator said she was running really rich. Hooked it back up, and passed.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Sensor/EGR important? Reply with quote

The ECU has no way of knowing if you have a working EGR or not. The air flow through the AFM is going to be pretty much identical for a given engine output whether there is an EGR or no EGR. As stated above the EGR does not affect mixture as the exhaust gas is inert and doesn't pass through the AFM.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Sensor/EGR important? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The ECU has no way of knowing if you have a working EGR or not. The air flow through the AFM is going to be pretty much identical for a given engine output whether there is an EGR or no EGR. As stated above the EGR does not affect mixture as the exhaust gas is inert and doesn't pass through the AFM.

Well, I think I understand what you're saying, but I think what I was getting at was that the O2 reading is downstream, not the AFM or pre-combustion information, hence must be reading the affected change in the exhaust because of the exhaust gasses introduced by the EGR flow. In my mind, an addition of inert gas to the exhaust ahead of the O2 sensor would change the volume and temperature of the exhaust gas. Wouldn't that also change the reaction of the O2 sensor because the temperature has lowered?

It seems reasonable to me that if an engine is outfitted with a ECU that supports O2 readings, then it must also affect air/fuel ratio change when one of those other parameters... (exhaust gas temp lowered by introduction of inert gas or a smog pump injector) ...has been altered.

Silverboot's comment about richness seems to support this, but only to he extent of enabling/disabling the sensor. I guess that situation does not really support my notion, but does show the O2 sensor will affect fuel/air ratio.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Sensor/EGR important? Reply with quote

if you look at an air to fuel trace (LM1 or LM2 etc) on my bus the 1977 with EGR and FI, the A/F trace is up and down as conditions change - headwind, minor hill etc. If you look at a trace on a 1979 bus with O2 sensor the trace is almost a flat line at 14.7:1.

The advantage of the O2 sensor is that it keeps the mixture constant so the catalytic converter operates at it peak performance. The disadvantage is that at 14.7:1 one has a complete burn with the right amount of air to the right amount of fuel, and that raises the temperature which means more power - the side effect being greater potential for a 2.0 liter air cooled engine to scuff pistons, crack heads, drop seats, etc. The extra heat is not as easily carried away in the air like it is in most water cooled engines. Most racing engines that burn gasoline run just a tad rich of 14.7:1 because they want max heat for max expansion for max power. VW detuned your engine because it can't take heat like a water cooled engine can.

The O2 sensor is reading residual oxygen in the system then on the L-jet adding duration to the injector pulse when the mixture goes above a set point. This means that the engine can be say programed to run at 15.0:1 or whatever and then the ECU knows to add more fuel to bring it back to 14.7:1. If the AFM is set to say 13.5:1 with the O2 disconnected the ECU cannot remove time from the baseline pulse. Whether the EGR is tossing in lots of inert gas or not the O2 sensor is still only reading Oxygen in the system.

The coil sends a wave thru the electrical system that the ECU reads. It uses that to make a baseline pulse. Then length is added for:

TS1 cold
TS2 cold
AFM flap further open
O2 sensor reading lean

The speed at which the AFM door moves and the direction also tells the ECU when the car is accelerating and decelerating.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Sensor/EGR important? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Yeah....it does. Not because it has a sensor checking on your actual EGR operation but.....because the 02 sensor detects the change in mixture from EGR operation downstream.

The EGR absolutely affects mixture because:
A. As a cooling function it increase charge density
B. it displaces intake air for the same air/fuel charge making it richer.
Ray
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Sensor/EGR important? Reply with quote

here is an air to fuel trace on a 1977 bus with FI and EGR smog legal at 70 mph. Someone posted their 1979 and the top line was 14.7 just a flat line all the time.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Sensor/EGR important? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

... Whether the EGR is tossing in lots of inert gas or not the O2 sensor is still only reading Oxygen in the system...

But it doesn't actually read Oxygen... it reads temperature through its thermocouple design. Temperature is affected by several things, of course, but most certainly by air/fuel ratio or anything else that could affect exhaust temperature: holes, water jacket, or air injection pumps or EGR gas.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Sensor/EGR important? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Yeah....it does. Not because it has a sensor checking on your actual EGR operation but.....because the 02 sensor detects the change in mixture from EGR operation downstream.

The EGR absolutely affects mixture because:
A. As a cooling function it increase charge density
B. it displaces intake air for the same air/fuel charge making it richer.
Ray

Well the only buses with an O2 sensor were the '79 California models (and maybe some '78 Calf models, not sure) so in general there were no O2 sensor on bus engines to sense anything.

A. The mixture is corrected for temperature by both the TSI and TSII sensor, neither have a clue as to what the EGR is doing. The EGR does increase the overal mass of the charge but doesn't effect the energy of the charge or the A/F ratio. You might get a tiny change in the A/F ratio because with a functioning EGR valve you would have a slight drop in the manifold vacuum at part throttle which would cause a slight rise in fuel pressure, that is about it.

B. The EGR passes gases that are essentially inert, there no feed back to the AFM or ECU telling them to make the incoming charge one iota richer. Only if you had a '79 California model and an O2 sensor plus a misfire would the ECU enrichen the mixture, as the O2 sensor and ECU would interpret the misfire as a lean mixture and try to compensate.

FI buses run L-jet which has no way of sensing manifold vacuum. You need to get over the D-jet thing if you are going to post in the Bay Window forum, there are no MPS sensors on bus engines. As I have said before bringing up D-jet just confuses the issue.

Last edited by Wildthings on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Sensor/EGR important? Reply with quote

I'll bet the ECU map on an EGR equipped and a EGR-less car are different, as designed by VW.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Sensor/EGR important? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I'll bet the ECU map on an EGR equipped and a EGR-less car are different, as designed by VW.

How would we ever know?, anthing that used an ECU also had EGR except for the 79 Cali only bus, unless there was another market that offered FI but without the smog stuff.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Sensor/EGR important? Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
SGKent wrote:

... Whether the EGR is tossing in lots of inert gas or not the O2 sensor is still only reading Oxygen in the system...

But it doesn't actually read Oxygen... it reads temperature through its thermocouple design. Temperature is affected by several things, of course, but most certainly by air/fuel ratio or anything else that could affect exhaust temperature: holes, water jacket, or air injection pumps or EGR gas.

My understanding is that the O2 sensor reads the differential in oxygen between ambient air and in the exhaust stream. That is why they have to be calibrated on devices like the LM1 etc. An EGT reads exhaust temperatures.

Wikipedia states

Quote:
The sensor does not actually measure oxygen concentration, but rather the difference between the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gas and the amount of oxygen in air. Rich mixture causes an oxygen demand. This demand causes a voltage to build up, due to transportation of oxygen ions through the sensor layer. Lean mixture causes low voltage, since there is an oxygen excess.

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Sensor/EGR important? Reply with quote

Okay, I will take that with a grain of salt. Unclear how Oxygen can move through layers of coating material... osmosis? And how is it done evenly?

More information...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=669667

And some more thoughts... last third of brief article talks about voltage difference based on temperature.

http://www.wellsve.com/sft503/counterp_v2_i3_1998.pdf

Finally, here is a sales brochure for thermocouples that introduced me to the concept awhile back. The idea as I recall is the thermocouple signal changed due to heat. Heat differences were a reflection of air/fuel ratios or engine load. That's about a 25 year old memory, but I think Aeromech would be well qualified to correct me on this.

http://www.avensyssolutions.com/data_AS/File/Solutions/AmetekPI/AMTLM2500.pdf
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Sensor/EGR important? Reply with quote

Here's my understanding of how EGR and the O2 sensor work:

1) EGR adds "inert" gas to the fuel-air mixture. By inert, I mean gas which does not have either fuel or oxygen. The gas could be argon, CO2, etc. However, the engine is making all of the CO2 you need, and it doesn't cost anything (extra), so they use exhaust gas. What this gas does is add space between the fuel and oxygen molecules, and when they burn, absorbs some of the heat. This reduces the combustion temperature, thus reducing NOx emissions. It also dumps that absorbed heat right out the exhaust valve. Thus, that burned fuel-air contributes nothing to the engine power output. As such, you should see a drop in fuel mileage. Can't say how much.

2) The O2 sensor is a voltage generator. The voltage is a function of the differential of oxygen on either side of the sensing cell. With O2 on both sides of the cell (atmosphere on the outside, exhaust on the inside), the cell produces no voltage. If the gas on the inside of the cell has less O2 and more hydrocarbons, the cell produces a voltage (up to around 1 volt). The magnitude of the voltage varies with temperature, but we don't care about that. The controller dithers the fuel mixture rich or lean, looking for that transition from no voltage to voltage. When it sees this transition, it dithers the mixture the other way, etc. This dithering keeps the mixture right around stoichiometric. This is where there's just enough fuel for the air available. Unfortunately, it's not the ideal mixture for minimizing NOx production.

In vehicles which have wide-band sensors, the voltage varies with the mixture ratio. This is done by using a second sensing cell. By applying a voltage to this cell, oxygen is forced to diffuse from the outside atmosphere through the cell walls into the sensing chamber. This oxygen reacts with the excess fuel in the sensing cell. The controller fiddles with this drive voltage until the primary sensing cell detects a stoichiometric mixture. The controller uses this drive voltage to determine just how rich the exhaust gas really is. [Or in the case of an LM2, display the mixture ratio on a display] The upshot of all of this is wide-band systems can run the mixture a bit on the rich side, thus reducing the combustion temperature and thus the NOx level, while keeping the mixture within the range the catalytic converter can handle.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: