Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who Stayed with VW
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk1015
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

I didn't see a thread about this. Maybe I didn't look hard enough.

I hope this doesn't open up a can of worms. LOL.
How many here have stayed with VW after all these years?
I know they/ve gotten a bad rap in the last few years because of Diesel-Gate
and have had some shoddy quality in the past.
The fit and finish on my 2017 GLI is great and man does it haul A**. While not the GTI, it's still a great car so far.

I've had 3 modern VW's.
1999 "NEW" Beetle (Sold) only one I had a problem with. The engine burned
oil. Fuel tank leaked. Brake light switch recall(s)

2012 Beetle (Sold) Not one MAJOR problem. The only complaint would
be were the frameless windows in the winter. Once they froze I couldn't open the door to warm it up.

2017 Jetta GLI: Only had it two weeks.
Here is my GLI with it's Great Grandpa my 74 Super Beetle.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

I bought my '74 standard VW Beetle in the spring of 1988. It's the only car I've ever owned. It gets jealous if I even look at another car.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
I bought my '74 standard VW Beetle in the spring of 1988. It's the only car I've ever owned. It gets jealous if I even look at another car.

WOW! That's inconceivable to me, but the number that I've owned would probably seem just as crazy to you.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

After VWoA screwed me with my 91 Passat, I switched to Honda and now own a Subaru.

I haven't given VWoA a dime since.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

In the last two years I've owned;

'71 Super - sold
'03 Golf - totaled
'66 Beetle - my current daily
'15 Passat Wolfsburg Edition - wife's current daily
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

Besides the cars in my sig, I bought my oldest a 2010 Jetta as well.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

My used '71 Squareback was the last ACVW I bought. All are gone except my fastback.

I never bought a water cooled VW. My wife's family has had several and all were sold (or abandoned!) due to electrical gremlins that repeated dealer visits could not fix.

So we were long gone before dieselgate.

I like their recent models, though. Not looking to buy these days, though.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

I've never owned a watercooled VW, and I have never considered buying one. I'm a Ford guy.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

I think TheSamba has a water cooled VW section. I don't hang out there. And I have never owned a water cooled VW. Have owned my 1969 Convertible since about 1982 (or was it early 1983? I can't remember exactly when I bought it).

I have had Ford and Chevy and Dodge trucks, and we have a couple of Hondas for daily drivers.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

I wouldn't own a "new" vw if you bought it for me....

junk timing chain components, screens that blow out of the cam adjusters, the DI engines need intake cleanings every 20-30K if you don't rail on them often enough

pressed lobes on the cams that like to rotate....they are just over engineered junk. be glad you didn't have any major issues.

the last "new" vw in our fleet was my wife's 1.8T jetta with a 5 speed. drove it to 210K, sold it to a friend for his kids first car. I just serviced it not long ago with 250K on it and still going strong. THAT was a bulletproof car.

sad, as there are some VW/audi products that I like how they look...but the powertrains are just garbage.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

I've owned a lot of air cooled VWs over the years, mostly bugs but also one Karmann Ghia and one bus. The only water-cooled VW I've owned was one of the first 'New Beetles' in early 1998. I was really excited about it, and it really was fun to drive. But it was a total lemon that spent as much time at the dealer's repair center as it did in my driveway. It was ridiculous. Naturally, the most serious problems came after the warranty ran out.

I can't remember what was the final straw -- so many things went wrong -- but I do remember fighting VWoA for months trying to get them to reimburse me for a repair that was clearly a design failure on their part. They weren't just dismissive in refusing, they were outright insulting. I'll never buy another modern VW. (That one had barely 30,000 miles when I sold it.)
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

I briefly owned a new Polo 2010 GTI - it was a great looking car, drove well (when the DSG behaved) comfortable, loved the interior.

Had so many issues, DSG chewed through clutches, engine drank oil (which the dealership tried to play off as completely normal to need to top up every 2 weeks!). It had multiple engine rebuilds and when I finally got a replacement engine I had enough and sold it (whilst it still had a year of warranty).

I went back to air cooled, probably put the same amount of money into 2 cars versus just having 1 new car. Cheaper to register, cheaper to insure, and they go up in value every year.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

Frankly speaking Heinz Nordoff died in 1968 and although VW continued on they lost their way with the demise of the type1... the Japanese offer a far superior product but all measures. A quick look at consumer reports will verify they have a shitty repair record and quality is below average. I won't buy products simply because once upon a time they made nice cars, now they make substandard throwaway crap. To compound the problem they don't offer any support to fans of the earlier product line. Their attitude is fuck you and to them I say the same, I wouldn't take one of their products as a gift. I guess no confusion as to my opinion?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Frankly speaking Heinz Nordoff died in 1968 and although VW continued on they lost their way with the demise of the type1... the Japanese offer a far superior product but all measures. A quick look at consumer reports will verify they have a shitty repair record and quality is below average. I won't buy products simply because once upon a time they made nice cars, now they make substandard throwaway crap. To compound the problem they don't offer any support to fans of the earlier product line. Their attitude is fuck you and to them I say the same, I wouldn't take one of their products as a gift. I guess no confusion as to my opinion?

Please ZF, tell us how you really feel. Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

Stayed with VW since 1976, but carefully avoided some of their worst
’73 Squareback & 70 VW Bus

’67 Baja Bug

Move to Water cooled ’82 Rabbit

’81 Rabbit Pick Up brought back from the dead

’89 Jetta, the car that made me a VW lifer

Back to Aircooled ’78 Convertible

’99 New Beetle 1.8t,

Needed something bigger when I bought the house

Replaced the ’99 NB with a ’05 New Beetle Convertible 1.8t

Bought a Black VW CC for me & my Hanna (not this car, but I don’t have a photo)

Lots of Aircooled guys bought Rabbits only to get screwed, and are now happy Toyota drivers
Lots of VW guys got screwed on A3(Golf/Jetta) & B3(Passat), and are now happy Honda or Toyota drivers.
Worst VW I had from a reliability stand point was my '99 NB 1.8t, I nearly replaced it with a Toyota truck.
Buying a water cooled VW required you are an informed consumer, and never by at the beginning of a model cycle.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

Pretty pathetic that people refuse to buy a 2017 car because of one incident 20 years ago. Makes me wonder what else they're being a child about.

Oh I got food poisoning at a restaurant so I'm never going to one of their other 2300 locations ever again.

Oh a girl broke my heart in the 80's so I'm going to be gay for the rest of my life.

Oh I got a crappy toy in my cereal so I'm switching to oatmeal until I die.

Give me a fucking break.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

Been pretty much air cooled since 77, occasionally a water pumper but there was always an air cooled VW in the stable, only one was a VW water pumper 84 Golf, not a bad ride, one major flaw though in that it required liquid coolant.

If I get sick at a restaurant I never go back, chain or not.

As for the orientation comment, uncalled for, course if you are a smart guy you break their heart first.

As for the crappy toy, you bet, if I have to eat artificial sugar loaded garbage in order to get a toy by god the toy had better be good or I might as well be eating oatmeal, of course loaded down with butter and sugar.

Now that that is settled lets get back to VW's, personally I would not buy any 2017 vehicle, if I given one I would sell it and buy more air cooled stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Pretty pathetic that people refuse to buy a 2017 car because of one incident 20 years ago..

https://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-recalling-92-000-cars-for-shearing-camshafts-1740571907

and, that shitty cam design goes back to 08-09 as well. so, you lay out the cash for a new car, and this is the kind of build quality?

http://www.vwproblems.com/trends/oil-consumption/

VAG products of today are junk....like Hyundai's of the 80's....hopefully vw can pull it's head out of it's ass, but very unlikely

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Pretty pathetic that people refuse to buy a 2017 car because of one incident 20 years ago..

https://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-recalling-92-000-cars-for-shearing-camshafts-1740571907

and, that shitty cam design goes back to 08-09 as well. so, you lay out the cash for a new car, and this is the kind of build quality?

Holy shit!! A free repair that was completed before I even bought the car and only affected 92,000 cars? Better sell the pos immediately. I mean it does have 52k miles and only gets 42mpg. Time to boycott the company.

At least it wasn't one of the MILLIONS of cars recalled for serious and possibly deadly issues that these manufacturers had.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.autoblog.com/amp/2016/05/16/the-10-most-recalled-car-brands/
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

Lets see,
previous VW cars, in order.
1971 Beetle,
1973 Super Beetle,
1968 Ghia,
1978 Rabbit,
1977 Scirocco,
1978 Rabbit (another),
1980 Rabbit,
1986 Golf,
1970 Beetle,
1971 Ghia
1988 Scirocco 16v
2012 Passat.
The last 4 I still own.
and from a reliability standpoint on the Passat (2.5 I5 auto trans):
I bought it new on 31 DEC 2011. It has had exactly two problems since I owned it. Currently has 125K miles. 30K was in the first year.
#1 CANBUS front encoder would freak out when exposed to sub freezing temps. Took a bit to sleuth out the correlation between temperature and defect. It would cause the entire dash to light up on the first start of the day but only after cold soaking to below freezing (always cleared after restarting the car). Took 6 months of working with the dealer before I charted it happening against the weather. Then it was fixed next day.
Dealer put me in a loaner every time I was headed away from home, so I put 10K miles on their car that year.
#2 MAP sensor wiring has a bad spot that will drop the sensor offline every few weeks. CEL comes on for a few days, then goes off. I need to replace the wires from the MAP sensor to the Computer. Been this way for ~30K miles. Or I could replace the engine harness at the cost of $300?!?!

Honestly it has been a rock solid car, 35mpg highway, comfy, and most importantly, the wife likes it. Freaking huge trunk.

The only downside is that the front brakes will squeak if you dont get on it hard every now and then, and it will eat the rear tires if you ignore rotating them every 10K.

Upcoming maintenance plan is to take the car offline for a week, and replace suspension components/ brakes before 175K, and will do the MAP wiring at that time.

Edited: due to can't spell for shit.
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: