Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who Stayed with VW
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

I bought a '79 Rabbit with 40-some-odd thou miles on it in '84, and drove it about another 40-thou before I totaled it. In that time, it never gave me any problems.

Up until getting my '63 almost a year ago, I haven't had one since.
kirk1015
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

I guess I chime back in again, being that I started this. Very Happy

Every car manufacturer has its issues. This INCLUDES Toyota, Honda and the BIG THREE. They all have their LEGACY cars. Corolla, Civic, Impala, Mustang, Charger, respectively and other models.
All of which are still in production.
No automaker is what they were back in the day so to speak.
They have all had their share of shoddy work over the years and VW is no
different.
I have chosen to stay with VW because I like their products. The 2012
Beetle gave me no problems at all. It only had 61,000 miles on it also.

Would I buy a Ford, Toyota or Honda? Yes, because I like the designs
of some of the cars. The 18 Camry looks really nice. The Civic, well get rid of
those ridiculous fake vents on the bumpers and it might consider one. The Mustang is still muscle carl, as it should be.

Out of the BIG THREE, Ford was the only one who didn't NEED the handout
from UNCLE SAM. Some of that can be attributed to Alan Mulally and his management team.They were already making changes when the house bubble burst in 2008. However GM and Chrysler thought they were
invincible. They failed to realize they were making cars that no one wanted.
They are also partly responsible for the SUV disease (man I hate those things Mad ) that we have in the states now.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

November 1972 for my 1970
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mid-1976 for my 1971

None since.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

So the question is who "stayed with" VW. Well, certainly not me. I started off with a tin top Westy in the early 80's, then traded it for a '74 bug and $1000 in '88. That was a mistake, but only did it to pay for college. Loved the Westy; hated the bug, and never liked them since.

Boomer, my first VW:

Then in the early '90s, I bought a new Jetta to replace my '68 Camaro (what was I thinking?!?) since I was commuting 75 miles each day for work. I liked the Jetta a bit better than the bug, but a gutless engine with manual transmission on the steep, wet hills in downtown Seattle traffic is a major source of ulcers and grey hair.

So it was 25 years without a VW until the desire to have a Westy again got too great to ignore. In the interim, I didn't know the popularity had skyrocketed. I think I paid $1k or $2k for my '71 tin top. And last year, I felt incredibly lucky to buy a '76 Riviera for $3100, non running and rusty in places but not too bad. It's now running and a fun daily driver when the temps are below 105 or so. And the looks, honks, hoots, and thumbs-ups I get are a lot of fun!

Chloe, camping at the Grand Canyon:

Now that I'm approaching 60, it's a good bet this will be my last VW. But it doesn't stop me from checking The Samba classifieds every week! Wink

The best part about this last VW purchase was finding the incredible resource of The Samba. If it weren't for the great archival information and the support of the Bay Window community, I doubt I would have been able to get her running. My hope is to pay it forward when/if I gain more knowledgable.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I've never owned a watercooled VW, and I have never considered buying one. I'm a Ford guy.
now that makes perfect cents.I knew there had to be a madness behind the method.

I bought my bug for $45.00 in 02 and sold my big block 4 door, long bed ,duely with liftgate and goose neck,high cr,ported heads, big valves, mild cam,Alcoa wheels and many other mods. when the bug was done a few months later ( bug in a box). I have thought about a newer vw, but my pocket hasent. so my bug is still my only car till my 356 is finished....if ......only.

YES I MISS MY TRUCK!!! I saw it the other day....dam.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

Had too many to list, latest acquisition is my mom's original 71 bug that has been parked in my brothers back yard for ten years since dad died, really not an acquisition for the bro gave it to me. Although I will always keep this one I doubt it will be the last air cooled that finds a way into my driveway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

I have stayed with VW....and half my family have. I have driven a HUGE range of cars (lots of rent a cars and friends cars). But its vehicle specific.

It always is...even with American cars. I would not own a GM CAR if you held me at gunpoint. I would own a Ford first....and I would own a Ford or GM TRUCK....if I needed a truck. Outside of that Fords sedan design (not build quality) are mediocre and GM's sedan designs are abysmal. See below to see what I mean by "design"

The reliability and engineering quality of American cars in general is about as good as it been in decades...but material, fit and finish, ergonomics and general design are still poor compared to most European and Japanese cars and anything in the VAG lineup in general. And...I do not mean "styling".

A side fro ma couple of Mk 2 vehicles....I have had a 2006 Jetta (sold at 105k miles) and am on my 2012 Golf now (114k miles) with no major problems and only few minor problems (back latch replacement at 60k...$119 and two tire pressure sensors).

I will agree that SPECIFIC engines and transmissions in the VAG line are over-engineered and problematic.

The late 90's Passat with the 1.8 turbo...engine was good...but the automatic tiptronic had a known seal design flaw that could waste your transmission near the 70-80k mile mark.

The 2.0L turbo oil usage issue....affects about 1-2%...has a class action running now.

But....the five cylinder inline, twin cam chain driven engines (an upgrade of the ancient Audi inline five)....are superb and sadly I think 2016 was the last year for it.

I know a handful of VW dealer techs....and when asked which car/engine combo would they buy for reliability...all immediately state..."5 cylinder with 5 speed...and if you have to choose a car...the Golf".

Both my Jetta and Golf were five cylinder and five speed. Superb cars.

I got half my family into VW's...and they still love them .My mom and dad I got them out of their Ford/Mercury into a fully loaded passat, sport packaged, V-6 engined with all wheel drive...brand new in 2000. They drove it to 185k with no major problems....and then when the passats had been downsized...they just moved up the line to an Audi A-4 in 2010.

My sister....I couldn't pry her out of her 1996 5 speed, VR-6 passat. Closest thing she could find she liked...2008 or 2009 Audi A-4 with the last of the V-6's (bought at 10k miles from dealer). She just sold her old 1996 passat last year to a guy in DC...who has three of them.

I am worried about VW's current lineup. All engines are based around the four cylinder turbo charged engine...while while generally reliable...is highly complex and all are DI. Do not own one without an extended warranty.

Very expensive to fix. Ray
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

For the last 30 years I've worked at a maintenance depot which employs several thousand mechanics. We talk amongst ourselves and surprisingly I've found that rather than making rational decisions based on repair history and reliability most make choices based on styling or out of habit, because that's the way they've always done it. To follow one brand or product line is ignorant because it ignores information on which are the most reliable over time. Fact is most every manufacturer has had models which exceed average reliability stats by being over engineered and or built to a higher standard. There was a Volvo engine made in the 60s which fell into this category and it was not unheard of for those engines to get over a million miles without major maintenance. Over the years I've owned Fords,Chevys, Chrysler, VWs of course, Toyotas, Nissan, even a Sunbeam and that was a shitty car design. Don't put all your eggs in one basket and don't just fall lockstep into buying one make. Be smart enough to separate style from engineering. Oh and screw VW made after about 1975, unless its one of those bulletproof designs that they released by mistake. Very Happy
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

I've never officially owned an ACVW but I grew up with and drove a few. I would not buy a new VW, based on my experiences with my daughter's 2006 "new" Beetle. They cut corners everywhere including plastic water pump impeller blades. The AC went out and it just seems these cars have a limited life span by design. She got rid of the Beetle for a Subaru. The VW is not missed.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
They cut corners everywhere including plastic water pump impeller blades..

honestly, that is a brilliant idea (in a way)

it was 100% designed that way for a reason....

the bore the w/p sits in is VERY tight. they used plastic impellers because if the w/p bearings go (and they do) the tight fit of the bore broke the plastic BEFORE it could lock up (if it had a metal impeller) and jump the timing belt.

guys that have had w/p failure with the aftermarket "upgraded" pumps also lost the t belt...and several valves in an instant. the plastic impeller would shatter....and if you were lucky you caught the over heat before it was too late.

still, a shitty design, but that's the reason behind the plastic impeller...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
I've never officially owned an ACVW but I grew up with and drove a few. I would not buy a new VW, based on my experiences with my daughter's 2006 "new" Beetle. They cut corners everywhere including plastic water pump impeller blades. The AC went out and it just seems these cars have a limited life span by design. She got rid of the Beetle for a Subaru. The VW is not missed.

Actually the plastic impeller....was not a VW problem. How they handled warrany issues and out of warranty issues regarding that problem....WAS the real problem.

The plastic impeller usage was a parts manufacturer issue. That same exact issue at the same time hit virtually all of the European manufacturers that did not specifically ask for a metal blade. BMW notoriously had issues with the same problem.

Tbe problem was not the plastic impeller. It was the TYPE of plastic. Supposedly tbey changed to PPS plastic right after 2000. Problem is the old plastic did not filter all the way out of the parts chain until about 2007.
VAG specifies flush and fill every 35k miles for good reason.....and nothing else can be used unless you can get the syztem spotless. Any addition of any other type of AF or the use of non distilled water.....will cause the G-12 to literally eat the metal impeller.

So they went to plastic.....the wrong type of plastic. I use PPS plastics in corroisve environments that eat steel and aluminum. I would use the PPs impeller without hesitation......but yes...it was sad that VW in many locations did not help people whose pump failed shortly outside of warranty. Ray

Last edited by raygreenwood on Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:
They cut corners everywhere including plastic water pump impeller blades..

honestly, that is a brilliant idea (in a way)

it was 100% designed that way for a reason....

the bore the w/p sits in is VERY tight. they used plastic impellers because if the w/p bearings go (and they do) the tight fit of the bore broke the plastic BEFORE it could lock up (if it had a metal impeller) and jump the timing belt.

guys that have had w/p failure with the aftermarket "upgraded" pumps also lost the t belt...and several valves in an instant. the plastic impeller would shatter....and if you were lucky you caught the over heat before it was too late.

still, a shitty design, but that's the reason behind the plastic impeller...

That....and what I just wrote below. There were reaction issues with AF and impellors in the pumps for years.....mostly due to mixing coolant.....but making the plastic impellor killed two birds with one stone.

And.....the timing jump issue was only on the four cylinders with timing belts. The chain driven five cylinders did not have that issue. They had one almost as bad. With chain driven timing and metal impellor...when the impeller craps.....it can literally shatter the housing. Ray
richardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

2010 Jetta TDI
Tried for license plate " Hi NOX" but was already taken
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

My job sometimes required me to work at other facilities for 2 to 9 months.
We use rentals for these Jobs, you get a "new" rental every month, so it's a bit like Russian Roulette.
Also there are short trips about every month, that required a rental car.
You used to really not have any control over what you get.
But for me it's always interesting to just go with the luck of the draw.
All the really horrible cars used to show up in rental fleets.
I will tell use that mostly anything from GM and Chrysler in the rental car fleets was/is pure garbage.
In 92 I went through every color Ford Taurus made working in western New York State,
once the snows and bad weather hit, Hertz switch me to Subaru Legacy AWD wagons.
Subaru was the only time I've ever asked for "My" rental car back' the last month of my contract.
So Hertz serviced "my" Subaru, and gave it back to me.
Around 2009-2010 I did another long term gig, out of the 6 cars I had, the VW Jetta was the nicest.
The worst was a toss up between a Chrysler Sebring or Chevy HHR.
So in the 41 years of being a VW guy, I've not limited myself to only VWs, as much as
I've made informed consumer decisions each time I've bought a new/newer car.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

I've driven a fairly wide range of vehicles and seem to run against the experience others have at times. One of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned was generally panned as a pos and I loved it was the Isuzu Rodeo that I had for 15 years. Yeah it had some small issues here and there, but in general it was bulletproof. One of the worst in my opinion was the 04 Honda Civic that I inherited. Multiple issues and I couldn't wait to get rid of it. A few of the other higher mileage vehicles I drove were a Dodge Avenger. Mechanically ok, but the fit and finish were terrible IMO. Pontiac minivan. Hated it, but was generally reliable until the AC went out. Dodge Durango... started to rust at only a few years old and the electrical was wacky at times. Had several others but most were short term, low mileage cars. So far the two VWs I own have been reliable. My 2013 has almost 100k already and my wife's 2014 NB is good but still has under 30k miles. The 2010 Jetta I got for my daughter had an inherent issue with a shift valve and a fuel gauge gremlin. I haven't heard much else at this point about it.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

There isn't a nicer car interior wise, with performance for the price point as the MK7 GTI. I love the shit outta the car, sporty, fun to drive, and overall comfortable. I can get 40mpg + if I stay off of it.
Coming up to 6500 miles over the last ten months, first oil change is coming up next month. No oil consumption, no weird sounds, shutters, or worries.
Consumer and critic reviews average around 8.5/10 all around, that's pretty solid to me. I did tons of reviews and research prior to my purchase. It is a very safe and comfortable car, my sisters 06 Jetta though it leaked oil ran like a top well over 200k when she sold it.
Anything will have good and bad points but compared to domestic makes, the interior is simply night and day. Longevity concerns me for repair costs but I got a good deal $21,975 full finance cost over 60 months. I owe $17,400 on a car valued at $19k+ so when the 3 year make gets near I'll have some decisions to make if to keep my ride on upgrade with the joys of payments.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
There isn't a nicer car interior wise, with performance for the price point as the MK7 GTI. I love the shit outta the car, sporty, fun to drive, and overall comfortable. I can get 40mpg + if I stay off of it.
Coming up to 6500 miles over the last ten months, first oil change is coming up next month. No oil consumption, no weird sounds, shutters, or worries.
Consumer and critic reviews average around 8.5/10 all around, that's pretty solid to me. I did tons of reviews and research prior to my purchase. It is a very safe and comfortable car, my sisters 06 Jetta though it leaked oil ran like a top well over 200k when she sold it.
Anything will have good and bad points but compared to domestic makes, the interior is simply night and day. Longevity concerns me for repair costs but I got a good deal $21,975 full finance cost over 60 months. I owe $17,400 on a car valued at $19k+ so when the 3 year make gets near I'll have some decisions to make if to keep my ride on upgrade with the joys of payments.

Agree. Actually I think VW would make more money...if they closed about a dozen plants, fired 40k employees and just made one car....the Golf family.

My 2012 Golf...I could not ask for a more fun, reliable car with superb interior, instruments and ergonomics. The GTI would be a step up in performance...but what the 5 cyl has with five speed is sharp for a 22k car..loaded with everything..heated everything, winter package, premium stereo, sunroof etc.

I paid it off in December. If they still offered one just like it with the five cylinder...I would buy another one. Ray
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

Started with aircooleds at 16 and then also got into watercooleds along the way. I still own a collection of aircooleds and much prefer them but being in the rustbelt i sadly cannot drive them year round. I will never buy a vw after made after 2004, tried it once and the results were terrible. Girlfriend has a 2003 1.8t 5 speed jetta with 251k on the original engine and turbo and it is still going just fine. After the mk4/b5.5 vw really lost it.
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

IDA's...well... they talk dirty -MURZI
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
After VWoA screwed me with my 91 Passat, I switched to Honda and now own a Subaru.

I haven't given VWoA a dime since.

Learned to drive in a '67 Deluxe bus, so I was done from the get go! Laughing

Been through many different vehicles, the most reliable was a brand new Toyota small truck. All I did was gas it up and changed the oil regularly. The wife having a bit of difficulty driving it, she's "short", we went looking for a car that would fit her. After frustrating many car salesmen, we found the "fit" in a '88 VW Fox. Going from a Toyota truck to a forkin plastic car was extremely disappointing. Though it ran really well, it felt very weak. Was noisy and uncomfortable, at least to me! Got a recall because, well, the steering wheel could come off!?!?! Shocked

After the issue was taken care of, the steering wheel was reinstalled offset! Trying to get the dealer to take care of things was just terrible. I figured their "service" really sucked! Seemed like they are your best friend up until you hand over the money and drive away. Then they don't want to know you. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, one day I opened the door a plastic part just fell off! With that I went back to the Toyota dealer and traded it for a Previa! Razz

Currently my newest car is the '70 Bug and don't care to own anything else "new". Cool
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

LOL - I don't buy new cars...although given the chance to buy a new air-cooled Type 1 that wasn't full of plastic, I would....

Otherwise, I'll buy something approximating "made in America" (eg, maybe foreign make but manufactured in US, or outright US).

A turbo diesel mini truck with manual trans of any make would certainly entice me (but not one of those gutless VW Rabbit's like my parents had)

Being a hot rodder, I tend to build what I want, out of metal and not plastic (fiberglass excepted).....
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: