Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who Stayed with VW
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
LOL - I don't buy new cars...although given the chance to buy a new air-cooled Type 1 that wasn't full of plastic, I would....

Otherwise, I'll buy something approximating "made in America" (eg, maybe foreign make but manufactured in US, or outright US).

A turbo diesel mini truck with manual trans of any make would certainly entice me (but not one of those gutless VW Rabbit's like my parents had)

Being a hot rodder, I tend to build what I want, out of metal and not plastic (fiberglass excepted).....

Laughing You are showing your age!

"Rabbits"...or Golf's off and on...have been far from gutless for many years. While no hotrod...my 2012 Golf pulls right at 7.5 seconds for 0-60.

Too many American and more than a few Japanese cars do worse than that with a good deal more than my piddling 172 hp.

You can buy a Jetta or a Passat made in Chattanooga Tn.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Hiebert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

Bought a Beetle new in 2013. Really liked it, except as noted previously, in the winter the windows would freeze shut and couldn't drop that 1/4" when you grabbed the door handle. I could still open and close the doors, but then the windows were out of the weather strip until I could warm it up enough to close them. More annoying than anything else. I had a heckuva time finding one with a manual transmission, there were only two available in the state of NY at the time, and both had just been delivered to the dealership I went to, on the day I went looking. Got the weirdest look from the "saleskid" when I insisted on manual. Had to trade it in for a minivan after we moved to Maine due to family issues. But the dealership here gave me a good deal because of that "hard to find" manual transmission, they initially balked because they thought they couldn't unload it, but they pinged other dealerships for interest in it, and had already sold it before we even left the showroom with the new minivan.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

There has always been an aircooled in the family since driving age. Always wanted a GTI. When VW started suing everyone I said not a cent from me. Will never buy anything new.
melville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

I'm at 30 years now always having something aircooled and German. Most of that time, ACVW only. Right now, it's just the BMW bike that's running as I take a little pause from driving VWs to simplify and resolve some aspects of my life. I'm down to my favorites now, two VWs that I will never sell (see sig).

Being a VW guy will be challenging by me in the future. My VW knowledgeable FLAPS recently closed and now I spoze my situation is like it is for a lot of you in that the quality parts vendors are online only for me now.
75 R75/6
65 Standard Micro
57 Sedan
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

I have never bought a new car, and likely never will. I have owned air cooled VW's since 1987, with only one short non-ownership gap. I have owned two water cooled VW's, an 84 GTI, and an 84 vert that my mo-in-law bought new. The GTI was fun, but didn't have it long enough to experience any real issues. The vert was a giant steaming POS from day one. It took me many years, but I finally convinced my wife that it needed to go.

VW has a particularly shitty reputation for reliability. Yes, all makes have some issues here and there, but VW and their related makes are on another level. I would not own a modern VW or Audi if it were bought for me.

We had a rental KIA last summer after an asshole totaled my wife's Subaru. Nice little car, and way better fit/finish than some domestic cars I have been in recently.

We drive an 87 Toyota pickup, a 91 Chevy truck, and an 08 Toyota Matrix. All is well. Oh, except I need to do the water pump on the 87. $33 (with lifetime warranty) at the NAPA store a few blocks away. Will be done tomorrow night after work, with time left for a beer and relaxation.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

Grew up in a VW ( my dad worked for VWOA) we had a new one every year. I'm 57 and have owned over 100 cars. The only ones that were not VW were (2) Porsche 914-6's , 68 El Camino SS big block 4 spd , 67 Mustang. Always had a VW truck, still do today.
Once married my wife had an early Civic, sold it and bought an 86 Jetta TD, Bought a stolen and stripped Dodge Neon and put it back on the road ( realized I hate cheap cars) bought a Passat Tdi ( money pit ), sold it to buy an 09 Tdi. We all know what happened there, After VW gave me a huge check for a 120K car with a potentially bad trans bought a Jetta Hybrid.
So Yes I am VW true. My oldest son built a 62 chopped bug ( he now has a Honda fit) a true tin can. My youngest wanted a VW, I tried to talk him into a Toyota Celica or Eq. HAd to have a VW, bought a 2002 GTi and just sold it and bought a 2010 GTi. You should see my driveway.
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

I've had my 68 bus since 1993. At the end of 2001 I got a brand new 2002 Golf GTI with the 1.8T engine. No major problems really and I drove it daily until 2015. The only thing that bothered me about it was the stupid timing belts. Pain in the ass to change on that engine/model. I did the first one myself, 2nd one I paid for, and was due for the 3rd one when it failed on me going 70+ mph on the freeway coming home from work. At that point (2015) the cost of a timing belt job was almost the same as the value of the car so I knew it was a ticking time bomb at that point and just figured I'd drive it til the belt failed. 280,000 miles when it happened, and the car still hauled ass. Probably my favorite of the modern cars I've owned. Got $300 for it from a wrecking yard and actually felt sad when I watched them tow it away from my house. Had I stayed single, I'd have bought a newer one, but bought a house, got a wife, kids, etc, so rolling something a bit more economical these days.

Looking for a VW club in Southern California? Check out Inland Valley Volkswagens: www.ivvw.org
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

I've had continuous ownership of at least one VW product since 1978 and only one short few year gap when one of those wasn't aircooled.

I've run Fords, Chevy's, even an AMC. Each has its charm and issues, I'd say the AMC has proven the most reliable and the ACVWs easiest to work on. Which is good, because the ACVW also requires the most regular maintenance.

Current stable has two. Not likely to change between now and my dirt nap.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

I bought my 65 111 "A" sedan ( former standard model ) in August 1968 and still have it:
http://www.pismoderelicts.com/photogallery/new%20format%20834/images/img_0138_edited_1.jpg
I bought a new 1969 special order H-O Pontiac LeMans in Dec 1968 and still have it:
http://www.pismoderelicts.com/photogallery/new%20format%20937/images/p1020752.jpg
In 1974 I bought a 64 113 deluxe Beetle, I still have it:
http://www.centralcoastvwclub.com/images/1964_1967/dons64_2.jpg
In 1976 I bought a new 1976 Oldsmobile Omega Brougham and still have it. It's all original paint and interior, carburetor has never been off, still has it's original rear brake shoes and wheel cylinders, original ft calipers, original alternator, fuel pump, P/S pump. Engine never apart, trans and rear end never apart, complete original exhaust system, and will do a honest 100mph and deliver 26mpg and has 115,000 miles on the clock:
http://www.pismoderelicts.com/photogallery/new%20format%20832/images/img_0124.jpg
I worked as a VW line mechanic and then unit repair ( engines and transaxles ) until Feb. 1973 and decided to leave when it became apparent VW was going to do all the things it criticized it's competition for. It seemed that VW had turned into Audi.
It seemed that Porsche was the one that held onto the air cooled concept longest only to succumb to not being able to certify emissions for our dirty little a/c engines.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

When VW said F-You to Air Cooled owners many many years ago, and then sent their Corporate lawyers suing any enthusiast club using the VW logo...... I said F-You to VW.

You don't care about or need us Air Cooled owners? I don't care about or need you VW.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

My DD is a 2006 Land Rover LR3. I am a glutton for punishment.
HankScorpio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

I have the all boxer garage Very Happy 1972 type 1 and 2016 WRX
I almost went with a new bug or golf but disappointment with the GTI, trust in reliability and made in Mexico stickers kept me away.

The GTI is great but it doesn't feel sporty until you really push it, so in my book I might as well get a golf.
vw seems to be on the top of the reliability game but they haven't always been and my mini left me uneasy with German design.
I'm not sure if buying a car made in a developing country is exploitive or lifts people out of poverty. I felt better with a made in Japan sticker on my car.
I somehow felt a bit silly in the new bug especially because I was looking at a great deal on a bug the dealer had used for promotions. It was Herbie Rolling Eyes

I rented a Passat and Jetta on business trips this year and might have some regrets with the Subaru now. Confused If nothing else the infotainment system w/ android auto has me green with envy. Excellent interiors and good driving dynamics. The Golf would have been a fine car and I'd still have a hatch, more money in my pocket and better MPGs. However everyone tells me the wrx awd will save me one of these winters...

I did encourage my dad to get his new to him GOLF sport wagon TDI a couple weeks ago.
Also thinking I should have looked at the A3
atticus finch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

computer controlled?

front wheel drive?

Not only no, but HELL NO.

Went back to air-cooled because of the simplicity and user friendly.

Had a `62 in the late eighties but couldn't find parts to keep it working right.
Never forgot how good it felt to drive that car & work on it as required.

Times have changed and it's easier to keep one working right, no more computer controlled front wheel drive ever again.

I got a `70 beetle, love it.

In addition to that, VW giving air-cooled the big F/U ?

the last straw for me.
Morganwerk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

My current Daily Driver is a 2003 VR6 GTI. It's getting a little long in the tooth with 230,000 miles. Still fun, fast and relatively reliable. Will I buy another modern VW? I'm not sure. Nothing in the current line up really catches my eye. On vacation a few years back I saw an Amarok,which I thought was really cool, but I don't see it ever being sold state side. Crying or Very sad
GlockCop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

I had several air cooled VWs over the years. In 2005 my wife and I decided to get a new water cooled beetle. Mistake. It was a convertible with the 2.0 motor and six speed automatic. First problem came up at about 1100 miles. the passenger side window came off track. Well its under warranty so back to the shop it goes. The bitch service advisor wants to argue about fixing it as its somehow my fault. I said you can either fix it or I can talk to the manager. It got fixed. Then at 10000 the window came off track again and the convertible top motor stopped working. Back to the shop. No static this time. Roll along and the trunk latch went out. Got that fixed. Then the battery. Wife had enough. We traded it for a year old GMC pickup and have had very few problems. Between the lack of quality control and the static at the service department I will never own another new VW again. I also remember how they treated people that had the VW symbol in their name.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

Went from a litany of air cooled Bugs and Busses as a kid - then to a couple of Rabbits, then a Quantum, two Audis, and finally landed in my current VWs - a NW convertible with the 1.8T and the T4 with the VR6

Fit and finish on both are excellent and they have been good affordable runners.
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

I'm not hating on the water cooled VW's, I just purchased my first and newest one ever. It's a 1981 Diesel Caddy and I love it! Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

Have had 17 vehicles - ranging from VW, GM, Ford & Honda.

First vehicle was a 1971 VW Super Beetle in the late 1970's. Loved that car. Rust took it.

I had a 1979 Westy in the 80's and loved it.

Worst car by far was my 1998 New Beetle. A piece of garbage. Snapped off the gearshift lever, power windows failed, headlights didn't fit properly, premature rust etc.

Now have a 1971 Super Beetle again and a 1977 Westy. Love them both.

Most daily drivers I have now are Ford.

Would not buy a new VW.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

my family always drove air cooled vw' back in the day cause they were considered cheap and reliable. Even the first water cooled models. But now they're neither. Even though the majority are made in Mexico for cheap, they still demand top dollar, I'd rather drive a comfortable GM,Ford, or Chrysler vehicle daily for that kind of money. VW lost it's way in America imo...lower the goddam prices you greedy sob's!
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Who Stayed with VW Reply with quote

My son owned a 1974 Super back in the late 1990's and into 2000's...he then went out and bought a 2005 diesel (in 2016) and it was nothing but problems with it...he kept complaining about the fit of stuff on the inside of the car...he ended up buying a Prius because the mileage was crazing good on it...I think he would take his 74 back (in a heart beat) if the rust worms hadn't eaten all the structural parts on it...gotta find him another 74 for posterity at least...

MikeC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: