Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Broken bolt!
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul_round
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Broken bolt! Reply with quote

Sheared off a caliper bolt while trying to replace my wheel bearings.
Any suggestions as to how to remove it?
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken bolt! Reply with quote

Dang. At what point did it snap? Are you able to get the caller off? Drilling a hole in the stud and using an easy-out is about the only thing you can do, and that will be extra hard if the caliper is still on. Soak the threads with penetrating oil over night . Might be to difficult of an area to heat with a torch .
paul_round
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken bolt! Reply with quote

It's out!! Very Happy
There was enough sticking out that getting the caliper off was a bitch, but I soaked it in penetrating oil and using mole grips, it came out.
I'm sooo pleased!!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken bolt! Reply with quote

paul_round wrote:
It's out!! Very Happy
There was enough sticking out that getting the caliper off was a bitch, but I soaked it in penetrating oil and using mole grips, it came out.
I'm sooo pleased!!

Good job! Next time add a little oil and try wiggling the bolt. Start tightening ever so slightly and then try loosening ever so slightly. Again and again till you feel it start to shift back and forth. Then bit by bit work it outward, but be ready to run it back in with some more oil to get it into the threads. Avoid having the bolt gall up in the threads and shear off by working it back in with the oil when it starts to feel harder to turn out.

Invest in a bottle of anti-seize to put on threads, so in the future you will have far less problems with possibly breaking off studs/threads.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: