Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baja lift suggestions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Baja lift suggestions Reply with quote

Hello all. I just picked up a 1974 beetle (not a super). I'm thinking of making a baja bug with my son. What is the easiest way to lift it about 4-6"? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja lift suggestions Reply with quote

So much info in the forums, just start reading through some people's build threads and everything is covered.

Start here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=491123
Buy this book: https://www.amazon.com/Baja-Bugs-Buggies-VW-based-off-road/dp/0895861860

If you want easy, you're not going to get 4 inches. 3 inches is realistic, but that three will take you a long way. Lift spindles up front and re-index the rear for higher preload on the torsion bars. Easy and just about how every baja bug starts.

Post some pics of the bug.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja lift suggestions Reply with quote

The absolute easiest way to raise a beetle that much is to buy one already done. Wink
But Thing spindles and reindex the rear is fairly easy, just won't get you that high.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Frank A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Baja lift suggestions Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
So much info in the forums, just start reading through some people's build threads and everything is covered.

Start here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=491123
Buy this book: https://www.amazon.com/Baja-Bugs-Buggies-VW-based-off-road/dp/0895861860

If you want easy, you're not going to get 4 inches. 3 inches is realistic, but that three will take you a long way. Lift spindles up front and re-index the rear for higher preload on the torsion bars. Easy and just about how every baja bug starts.

Post some pics of the bug.

Thanks Brian!
Frank A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Baja lift suggestions Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Third
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Baja lift suggestions Reply with quote

That's going to make a clean Baja !

I love the red, too !

Red is always fastest...

(ask any LEO writing tickets)

Wink
Third
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Baja lift suggestions Reply with quote

Also, I 110% agree with the Baja Buggies Book sited above.

I recommend these for first-time VW owners. A wealth of information and tips for any non-VW (real) "mechanic". And the Baja book is filled with old tips for builds (that still apply today and are found on many cars in the wild, especially older build). Handy for recognizing mods that were done and why they were done:

https://www.amazon.com/How-Keep-Your-Volkswagen-Alive/dp/156261343X

https://www.amazon.com/Baja-Bugs-Buggies-VW-based-off-road/dp/0895861860/
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Baja lift suggestions Reply with quote

Please don't cut that beauty....
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja lift suggestions Reply with quote

+1 on don't cut that car. find a baja bug that has already been butchered

if you go beyond 3" up you need to go wider too. if you go higher and wider, you need a cage to tie it all together. find a car that is already higher, wider and cut up, let someone else pay full price for that. sometimes "my loss" really is "your gain"

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
gunslingertom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja lift suggestions Reply with quote

No way. Cut it up.
Back in 1986, I cut a hole is a 72 Formula Firebird hood (just like in the pic) to fit a tunnel ram and 2 carbs. Tin Indian fans hated my guts. That hood is fiberglass and was extremely sought after back then.
I almost cut a hole in a 70 Chevelle cowl induction hood, but a friend offered me righteous money for it, so I bought a fiberglass hood.
I'll cut up anything.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja lift suggestions Reply with quote

its your car but I'd suggest doing a class 11 clone, best of both worlds without the hacking.
Cut and turn the front to save on spindles, it won't have as good of a ride thoughh
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Baja lift suggestions Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:
its your car but I'd suggest doing a class 11 clone, best of both worlds without the hacking.
Cut and turn the front to save on spindles, it won't have as good of a ride thoughh
Yeah do a class 11, still off road but not as much cutting.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Frank A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja lift suggestions Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Please don't cut that beauty....

It's very photogenic. (nice 10 footer). Heater tunnels have some rot and I think all fenders have been replaced.
Frank A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja lift suggestions Reply with quote

Mal evolent wrote:
+1 on don't cut that car. find a baja bug that has already been butchered

if you go beyond 3" up you need to go wider too. if you go higher and wider, you need a cage to tie it all together. find a car that is already higher, wider and cut up, let someone else pay full price for that. sometimes "my loss" really is "your gain"

I was going to pull the hood and fenders and replace with a baja kit. I'd keep the body parts for possible future use.
Frank A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja lift suggestions Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:

I'm new to VW's. I just looked up class 11. It looks pretty cool. Maybe I'll start with that and see how it goes before replacing fenders.
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Baja lift suggestions Reply with quote

There is another way to get major lift...look up bus frame baja on youtube...this is when you basically strip the entire bus frame to its skelaton, shorten and attatch it under your existing pan...you will have to use a bus tranny and axles but the end result is well worth it...you get the best of both worlds cuz the bus suspension is extremely beefy and the tranny will be tough too and it will all be done with stock parts...bay window buses are still plentiful...all you need is a rolling carcus a sawsall and a welder...look for '72 thru '79 all have disk brakes.

It's your car...it does look extremely nice to hack the ends off...if the motor is solid than yank the motor and sell that nice body to a pureist that will preserve the vw as is...there are still plenty of bugs to choose from that already have some body damage that aren't as clean as yours... Cool
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Baja lift suggestions Reply with quote

Quote:
was going to pull the hood and fenders and replace with a baja kit.

you have to cut sheet metal to put on a baja kit.

it's like doing cosmetic surgery on Nicole Kidman to make her look like Roseann Barr.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
Dürtwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Baja lift suggestions Reply with quote

I'm on the "don't cut it" side.. as mentioned above you need to chop and drill the body for the fiberglass to fit and attach. and there's prettymuch no going back. It may look good from 10 feet away but its still a complete beetle.
Frank A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Baja lift suggestions Reply with quote

Ok....So you all have convinced me not to cut it up (for now). I think I'm going to lift it and try for that class 11 look.
Frank A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Baja lift suggestions Reply with quote

Mal evolent wrote:
Quote:
was going to pull the hood and fenders and replace with a baja kit.

you have to cut sheet metal to put on a baja kit.

it's like doing cosmetic surgery on Nicole Kidman to make her look like Roseann Barr.

Very Happy Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: