Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Glowing alternator light tonight! Fixed!!!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Fixed!!! Reply with quote

Thank you for the opportunity to expand on my thought. I have reread what I wrote and can see where my train of thoughts did not convey 100%. I am no English major, that is the wife. I am hands on, pictures would be my first choice in communicating. Words are second.

[quote="rockerarm"]
VW_Jimbo wrote:
My experience has been these cars can withstand up to, a full volt being dropped with little to no ramifications, maybe even two volts!

I have witnessed a full volt dropping on hundreds of these cars in the charging system circuit. Yes, they did start and run but when under heavy electrical loads, the owners would complain about dim headlights. That was always the first complaint from them. The second complaint was a "no crank" condition or a "slow crank" condition. All voltage drop related. Those no crank or slow crank was typically at the battery terminals and almost always due to a lack of maintenance (Cleaning the terminals).

Quote:
Hi. I certainly hope Jimbo sees this and corrects himself. An up to two volt drop is extreme.

Yes, a two volt drop is extreme, but still will allow the car to function. The two volt drop was typically found on the coil wire, after being melted along its run. Some of those cars where still running, albeit not great, but they did come in on there own power, and they cranked just fine. The work order would say something like, "cranks but has a hard time starting - please advise". I would spend an hour or so checking wires, measuring voltages and looking for readings out of the normal parameters. My go to test, was a voltage drop test! What did I find on lighting circuits, ignition circuits, wiper circuits and horn circuits, a drop of a volt or two. Most times, it was around .8 volts. That seemed like the magic point.

Quote:
Yes Tim, most techs will have sets of jumper wires to facilitate these tests. You can even buy some test leads that use the alligator clip on one end and the banana style end to insert into the DVOM. I made a couple of long test leads specifically for this.

The leads I had were from Fluke and had interchangeable ends, I could use all sorts of clips and points. Sometimes I would take a straight pen, like for sewing, and push it into the terminal or wire, to measure voltage. The leads also could be connected in series with a connector found online. It did drop a little voltage, but the Fluke 88 had a "zero" function that would compensate for that drop in the measurement.

Quote:
The entire VW component layout is unique in comparison to many front engine veh's. Their components may be only 2-3 feet from each other whereas ours have the components (batt, starter, alt, fuse box, switches) up to 8 feet away from each other. On cars with over 40 years of use this could be a huge contributor to voltage drops.

Yes, the age of the wiring is a huge variable that has to be considered. Years of life in any environment will cause degradation and impact readings. One must understand the impact of environment on the systems. Down here at the beach, high salty moisture, all year round, causes all sorts of stuff to corrode! I am continuously replacing house flashing and waterproofing components due to corrosion. Same goes for cars! I will attest to the fact that working for 40 years can lead to degradation in strength, flexibility and speed!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Fixed!!! Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Tim Donahoe wrote:
Jimbo, from what I've read, that tenth of a volt is five times the limit. Although, that's from a several sources I've read on the web. Tim

My experience has been these cars can withstand up to, a full volt being dropped with little to no ramifications, maybe even two volts!

Hi. I certainly hope Jimbo sees this and corrects himself. An up to two volt drop is extreme.
If you had a 2v drop from the alt to the battery (14.4 - 2.0 = 12.2v) you'd be in worse shape than when you started. This same voltage drop may not even engage the starter and will also result in inefficient headlights.

Yes Tim, most techs will have sets of jumper wires to facilitate these tests. You can even buy some test leads that use the alligator clip on one end and the banana style end to insert into the DVOM. I made a couple of long test leads specifically for this.

The entire VW component layout is unique in comparison to many front engine veh's. Their components may be only 2-3 feet from each other whereas ours have the components (batt, starter, alt, fuse box, switches) up to 8 feet away from each other. On cars with over 40 years of use this could be a huge contributor to voltage drops.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Fixed!!! Reply with quote

FYI, I use the Wolfsburg West silicone drain gasket and they really work great. Have had the same gasket set on for 10 years or so. The valve covers I have are cork, I've not tried the silicone ones yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Fixed!!! Reply with quote

So, if I only have .10 volt difference (one tenth of a volt, if I'm reading the multimeter properly), then it's well within a tolerable loss. And a lower reading at the battery when all accessories are switched on is normal. Correct?

By the way, how do you guys hook up your multimeter to the B+ post on the alternator, then also hook up to the wire coming from the B+ post that is located--and connected to Ta) under the back seat? My wires on my multimeter don't stretch that far. I can only assume that you can use a jumper wire from the B+ post and route it around to where you can tap into it in the cabin. Correct?

Sorry for the questions on this issue, but all the videos I've seen and all the printed, always show, or tell, of the mechanic working on a car where all these connections are located within close proximity of all parts involved, and they're all under the hood.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Fixed!!! Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Jimbo, from what I've read, that tenth of a volt is five times the limit. Although, that's from a several sources I've read on the web. Tim

I agree in regards to modern, current cars. But when you go down a few decades, the voltage drop increases, both actually and in its value.

The flip is I had a 1998 Toyota Camry that dropped .4 volts on an injector wire. Made that car run like crap and took me on a few hour tour of the electrical wire harness, around 80 wires, tested one at a time!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Fixed!!! Reply with quote

Tim, Jimbo and myself were correct.
Here is a link from Fluke:
http://www.fluke.com/fluke/uses/comunidad/fluke-ne...sevoltdrop

And from Federal Mogul:
http://www.fme-cat.com/Docs/1519.pdf
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Fixed!!! Reply with quote

Allen, I may take you up on the harness thing if I find the voltage drop in the 9mm wire from the B+battery post to the Ta connector.

I was not testing in parallel previously, but will play with it tomorrow--after I sort out the new oil leak.

And Jimbo, from what I've read, that tenth of a volt is five times the limit. Although, that's from a several sources I've read on the web Rolling Eyes .

.01 to.02 was listed as passable. Over that, and there is some resistance--a connection, whatever. So, I'm going to to a proper voltage drop test to pin it down.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
allenw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Fixed!!! Reply with quote

I do have an old wiring harness that I have been using the correct wire colors from if anyone needs some correct wire colors. i is about a third gone now.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Fixed!!! Reply with quote

In the grand picture of the charging system a tenth of one volt between the alt and the batt is not a big deal. Divert your attention to sometime more deserving of your time. Go for a drive, adjust your brakes, adjust the clutch or car wash. Heck, come on over and wash my car!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Fixed!!! Reply with quote

Fridge, I made sure the oil drain-back passage was clear, before installing the flywheel seal. Plus, I only drove the car about ten miles. I'm sure I'll get at least a small drip as I put on some more mileage. Otherwise, I'm apt to burn out a seal. Probably, the white grease kept the small amount of oil from dripping. If I'm lucky, the new drip is the silicone valve cover gasket. If it's not, then my oil cooler adapter seals may have sprung a leak when I undid and re-tightened the nuts when installing the Hoover bit. If that's the case, I'm screwed. Engine out again Rolling Eyes . But I'll see tomorrow morning.

The hot, hot days are finally coming to a close. No more 100 degree+ days for awhile.

And Jimbo, I have good numbers but still have a small leak to find in the system. That .10 difference from the alternator, compared to the battery reading bugs me. I did notice some electrical tape on the main harnass in the engine compartment. Hopefully, the previous owner didn't splice something there. I'll use the fast idle cam tip to find out. Thanks.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Fixed!!! Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

But, I have no oil leaking from the bottom center of my engine case--where the transmission meets the engine. So, it looks like the new flywheel seal I also just put in is going to be a keeper.

Tim

Interesting. I've read so many posts how the design in that seal was to allow it to drip the excess drop out on shutdown, and now you have it perfect. Vw even started putting a channel in the case to let as much of that oil drain back into the case. Sounds good that you found a way to stop all of it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Fixed!!! Reply with quote

Great to read a good ending. Glad you were able to complete these tests and that you learned a thing or two in the process.

To check the voltmeter without the wife, you can always use the fast idle cam to hold the rpms up! I did that back before dual carbs!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Fixed!!! Reply with quote

Rockerarm, it's difficult for me to do a complete test without the wife pressing on the gas pedal to get the Rpms to 1500-2000; but at idle I'm still missing .10 at the battery, compared to the B+ post. 14.47 down to 14.37. I'm happy with being over 14, but I'm going to find "the leak", because I'm curious.

With the lights and fan on high speed, this dropped a bit from the battery idle figure (I can't remember the figure right now, but it was also 14.something).

When the wife is here to step on the gas, I'll do a complete test at the higher Rpms. Besides, I spotted another issue.

In the meantime, one of those new silicone valve cover gaskets that I just installed is leaking on me. I put them in, using Permatex Aviation on the cover side (my Gascacinch, which I wanted to use, was dried up). But, I have the good cork gaskets to replace that pos with. Kind of scary since when I noticed the leak on the left side, and I had undone two nuts on the dog house oil cooler adapter to install a Hoover bit. But I don't think the oil is leaking from that event. After wiping the heat exchanger and under the rocker cover, it seemed more like a valve cover gasket issue. I've actually never had one leak like that before, though; but I've never used a silicone valve cover gasket, either.

But, I have no oil leaking from the bottom center of my engine case--where the transmission meets the engine. So, it looks like the new flywheel seal I also just put in is going to be a keeper.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Reply with quote

Hi. I'd be curious if you can detect any voltage drop/loss from the alt B+ stud to the battery's positive terminal, or post.

Even if you had a few tenth's of a volt drop your electrical system may not show any symptoms but as clean as your car is and how particular you are to the details it should concern you.

Simple test. DVOM on DC volt scale, 20v, meter positive to alt B+ stud and meter negative to battery positive post. Start car up and monitor the meter. You cn turn on some items such as headlights, 4-way's, etc in order to get the alt to push some current thru this wire.

Bill
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Reply with quote

Nice work, Tim! Definitely a great thread to follow. Pics would've been nice...! Wink

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! (FIXED!) Reply with quote

All done! I installed a my new Bosch alternator from Cipi1 (great service from Chris there), and the number I got on the multimeter was 14.47. While there, I also replaced the transmission and battery ground straps with nice copper braided ones from Germany (I got those at Bughaus).

Since I had the motor out, I also replaced the flywheel seal, o-ring, clutch driven plate (the relatively new one had a little grease on it), installed a Hoover bit, painted the fan shroud, breast plate and firewall tins, adjusted the valves (easier when the motor is out, you know), installed new silicone valve cover gaskets from Wolfsburg West (one is leaking a little, but I'll keep checking, and change back to cork if needed), cleaned up a lot of wire connections, and that's about it.

A word of caution: the new Mexican Bosch alternators come with a larger B+ post; so, you'll have to replace the OEM o-ring connector at the wire. Fortunately, my original OEM 9mm wire was long enough so that I got away with crimping a new 1/4 inch o-ring connector to the original wire. And make sure your fan doesn't rub when you put the fan assembly back together. If the fan isn't true, or if you didn't snug down the two small nuts that hold the alternator to the fan assembly, you won't have the required 2mm space between the fan and the fan assembly, so it'll rub.

Okay, now I'm ready for the McCloud, California show at the end of the month.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. I learned quite a bit of electrical troubleshooting information.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Reply with quote

Hey Tim - just caught up with your thread this morning. I don't have much advice, looking forward to reading about the e eventual fix. I'm learning lots about electrical troubleshooting from the great advice you've been getting!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! (FIXED!) Reply with quote

Well, I got the new o-ring connector onto the OEM 9mm wire. Silly me, I forgot to put the shrink wrap on the wire before crimping the connector. Duh!

Now, all I have to do is wait until the wife gets home so she can hold the metal fuel line in the engine compartment while I push on the flexible fuel line from under the car.

Funny thing, though: I replaced the clutch driven disc because the old--relatively new one with no more than three thousand miles on it--had a little grease on it. Now, however, my freeplay went from 3/4 inch to 1 and 1/2 inch. Kind of strange, but I'll just adjust it. youd think replacing the new disc with the exact same brand disc with very little wear would not have required but a little, if any, re-adjustment.

Tim

Richard O'Brien

Last edited by Tim Donahoe on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Reply with quote

That's awesome!!! That saved you a lot of headaches!

Right there with you on the hearing! After growing up in a custom cabinet shop with planers, saws, jointer and routers. All of them making high pitch noise. Following that with 12 years of tuning cars, a lot of those night spent at the drag strip tuning a friends vw dragster, also high pitch noises! Add to that my love of hunting and going to the firing ranges. My hearing has suffered. I am okay with my left ear, maybe 70% of what it was 10 years ago, my right ear is at about 50%. I have noticed that I turn my left ear towards people when they talk to me. My kids pointed it out to me one day. Made me stop and start noticing.

Wish I could read lips!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Reply with quote

The connector material is not that important. I buy bulk electrical connectors and almost all are not brass or whatever VW used. Have been using them for many years with no issue. One thing that I ALWAYS do is use external tooth washers on screw together electrical connections to make sure I have a good bite.

Oh one more thing....When messing with the alternator connections, don't let your wedding ring touch the hot wire and a ground. You would be surprised how fast a ring will get incredibly hot in that situation....Not that I have ever done that... Embarassed
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: