Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Glowing alternator light tonight! Fixed!!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Reply with quote

Kelley wrote:
How old is your battery?

A battery reading of less than 12.25v is suspect. You've lost the surface charge since the last time you drove the car, or the last time you had the engine running. It's possible that you can charge a battery with a reading less than 12.25v if you catch it in time. Anything less then it's hit or miss.

Sitting in Summer heat is the quickest way to kill an automotive battery.

Describe your battery - Is it serviceable, or maintenance free? If it's serviceable and you can remove the caps, check the water level. if it's low, bring it up to top level BEFORE charging. Charge it, then check charge value.

If it's maintenance free, and you read a value of 12.13v, it's a good bet that it's on it's way out. It may still take a charge, but don't forget that you saw it's surface charge at 12.13v.
Here in Florida, automotive maintenance free batteries last maybe 3-4 years on average.

Your original question about the Alt light was already answered, but the battery question remained, in my mind, unanswered. Hope this helps Very Happy

Right, sometimes the battery will fail in other ways than just not holding charge. I had a battery that was working fine, until it wasn't...at that point you couldn't even jump start the car. I don't know enough about the functional design of automotive batteries to tell you why, but i'd speculate that it didn't suddenly die from an internal open circuit/increased internal resistance, it was on its way but perhaps I was unaware because it was still functional.

I'd have the battery load tested at your FLAPS.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Reply with quote

Based on your infrequent use of the car and short trips, you may wish to consider putting the car on a Battery Tender when it sits. This will keep the battery topped up. It's natural for any battery to discharge slowly as it sits and with your short trip driving, you may not be running the engine enough to keep the battery topped off.
rayvwbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Reply with quote

Quote:
You seem to mention being crunched for time. If so, why not try and fab up a bulb/lamp harness and isolate the entire term 61 circuit from the speedo housing to the alternator terminal? An easy diagnosis that should isolate whether you have an alternator issue or a wiring issue.

I did this when I recently had the same symptoms. turns out the issue is inside the alternator somehow. Fab your test light, and don't forget to remove the D+ wire going to the speedometer bulb when doing your test.

Ray
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Reply with quote

The battery is an Autozone, a normal group 42. I bought it in January of 2013, so it's a little over 4 and 1/2 years old.

I've always kept the water level up in it, and have never let the level drop so that the tops of the plates were exposed. Actually, when filling, I've only had to put very small amounts of distilled water in the cells to maintain a proper level.

I just now tested the battery at rest, after it had been sitting since yesterday afternoon. The reading was a healthy 12.74. So, it seems that it will maintain a healthy charge.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Reply with quote

rayvwbug wrote:
Quote:
You seem to mention being crunched for time. If so, why not try and fab up a bulb/lamp harness and isolate the entire term 61 circuit from the speedo housing to the alternator terminal? An easy diagnosis that should isolate whether you have an alternator issue or a wiring issue.

I did this when I recently had the same symptoms. turns out the issue is inside the alternator somehow. Fab your test light, and don't forget to remove the D+ wire going to the speedometer bulb when doing your test.

Ray

Works great doesn't it? Thanks for the feedback.
Bill
rayvwbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Reply with quote

This test is such a great idea. So simple to do and yields very meaningful results. Thanks again for saving me the time of testing every possible site of a voltage drop!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Reply with quote

Well, I've had a little time, so I got back into this. First, I had Interstate do their 3-point test on my battery. It's in great shape. So the battery is fine.

A few questions, though.

My internally-regulated alternator has the small push-on wire that goes to the idiot light. Okay, I have no issues with that. Additionally, the threaded B+ post has two wires attached to it. One is the big solid red wire that goes--one way or the other--to charge up my battery. And one is a much smaller black 16 or 18 gauge wire, which I repaired since the connection seemed a bit shady. What is this small black wire on the B+ post for? Is it for the old diognostic system? Or what?

Also, from the harness sheath, there are two smaller wires--one green and one brown--that have been cut off and left hanging. I'm not worried about these two because the car has been running and charging well for almost five years without these them. But that black one at the B+ post has me stumped.

Aside from the questions, I have other news. When testing with the engine running at the battery, I get 13.28 ... but if I test at the alternator, I get 13.68 to 13.80. So this leads me to believe that I have a wiring issue from the big red wire at the B+ post on the alternator to the battery. Anyone know where the big red wire from the alternator connects it's way to the battery? I've looked at my wiring diagram and the wire colors don't line up, so I'm stumped. If I can find where that alternator wire connects, I might solve the issue.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Reply with quote

Hi. The small black wire is in deed for the old diagnostic plug, orange dot #14. The current schematic references this, and you could verify with an ohm meter as it shows the terminal number.

Regarding your voltage differences you the same schematic shows the B+ from the alternator (C) traveling to a white multi-plug (Ta) under the rear seat, left side. From there the B+ wire branches off to the battery (A) and to the front of the car to feed fuses S8/S9 etc.
You should really perform a voltage drop test on a few of these sub circuits such as Alt B+ to Battery positive and/or to the Ta multi-plug.
Not to beat you up over your diagnostics but with the different voltages you obtained at the battery and the alternator, can you be absolutely sure your ground was the same and didn't influence your readings? This is why the voltage drop test beats the shit out of the old school testing.

Here is the schematic for you to use:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/74-up113wiring.jpg
And the key for above:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/74-up113-key.jpg
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Reply with quote

You could always take a piece of 10 gauge wire. Connect it to the alternator B+ terminal and then attach the other end to the battery positive. Then retest your output voltage. If you have eliminated the negative side, the fan belt and the idiot light, then you are onto the battery supply line. Throw that jumper in and retest, before replacing.

Are your battery terminals clean inside and out? Sometimes corrosion at the interior of the battery clamp connector can cause low readings.

Double check that belt tension.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Reply with quote

Thanks rockerarm and jimbo.

I can actually read the colored wiring diagram in the link rocker provided.

Apparently, after the Ta, the positive wire going to the battery, first goes through a battery lock off switch that I installed a few years ago (I installed this cut-off switch for security and go I could cut off power to work on electrical issues without having to remove the back seat).

I'm going to check out this switch for loose connections in the morning when it's not 104 degrees in the garage. I'm also going to try jimbo's 10-gauge-jumper idea.

To be honest, I don't know what the circuit 61 is. So, checking it out presents an issue. Thus, I keep doing things in an "old-school" manner. I am also ignorant as to what a "voltage-drop" test is, although it seems that I'd just go from connection to connection to see if the voltage drops before entering the battery + terminal.

My schematic reading is about 60%. Although, the colored schematic provided makes things far easier for me to comprehend.

First thing in the morning, I'm going to test the red/white wire from the Ta to the battery cut-off switch. If that's the culprit, I'm going to be pissed. I paid big bucks for that keyed wonder.

Thanks again, guys. I'm off to Google some electrical terms. Learning is a good thing.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Reply with quote

My money is on the switch dropping voltage! All switches drop a tenth ot two or five, but when they get some carbon going - whoaaaa! I have measured drops as large as 50 volts in house circuits. In cars, 6 to 7 volts! Both due to the same reasons - cheap manufacturing, age and low grade materials.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Thanks rockerarm and jimbo.

I can actually read the colored wiring diagram in the link rocker provided.

Apparently, after the Ta, the positive wire going to the battery, first goes through a battery lock off switch that I installed a few years ago (I installed this cut-off switch for security and go I could cut off power to work on electrical issues without having to remove the back seat).

I'm going to check out this switch for loose connections in the morning when it's not 104 degrees in the garage. I'm also going to try jimbo's 10-gauge-jumper idea.

To be honest, I don't know what the circuit 61 is. So, checking it out presents an issue. Thus, I keep doing things in an "old-school" manner. I am also ignorant as to what a "voltage-drop" test is, although it seems that I'd just go from connection to connection to see if the voltage drops before entering the battery + terminal.

My schematic reading is about 60%. Although, the colored schematic provided makes things far easier for me to comprehend.

First thing in the morning, I'm going to test the red/white wire from the Ta to the battery cut-off switch. If that's the culprit, I'm going to be pissed. I paid big bucks for that keyed wonder.

Thanks again, guys. I'm off to Google some electrical terms. Learning is a good thing.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Following this and reading your part about the battery cut off. Do you have this on the positive cable? or the negative cable? If it is on the positive side I would put your cut-off on the ground. Less chance for it to affect the voltage going to the battery as I like to have a solid flow of wire to the +. You can also bump up the gauge of the wire if you feel inclined to. A bigger negative and positive will never hurt anything. I use 4awg for my battery ground cable with a cut-off, but 8awg should also work.

Just to go over the connections you have from the alternator +. It goes from the alternator to the starter -> starter to the battery -> battery to the front fuse panel. All of these should be separate connections which can cause some loss if the wire is damaged or the terminal is damaged/loose or corrosion. You probably already know all this, so its more for information to confirm what you have.

Thank you for your thread and hope you are able to resolve the issue.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

Learning is a good thing.

Tim

The voltage drop. or loss, test is the current gold standard for electrical concerns such as the many issues we see here on thesamba. The success of this testing is that it tests the circuit, or component, while under its actual load. With this test you can test an entire circuit, such as from the source (battery) to the component (alternator, starter, light, horn). You can test just a section of a circuit ( battery to Ta). And you can test aground circuit.

Let's imagine a problem with your car where, for example, the B+ wire had every strand within the wire length from the alternator to the multi connector Ta were broken, except one small wire strand. With the old school testing you can check voltage at both ends and read something close to 12volts. You can also resistance check this wire and see it could have very low resistance as the ohm meter uses a very small voltage, or load, to perform the resistance check. But, with a voltage drop test, testing the same circuit would yield better results to you as it tests that circuit under a load. And in your case the load would be the charging system from the alt B+ to the battery positive post (not the terminal).

So with your DVOM you attach the positive lead to the alt's B+ stud (not the wire terminal) and the DVOM negative to the battery positive post. Turn DVOM to a low range such as the 20v scale. Start your car up and since the battery was just used to crank the starter the alt should begin to charge back to the battery. View the DVOM and document any reading you see. That reading is the voltage drop between the two points that the meter is attached to. The reading you see is the voltage lost, or dropped, between the two meter attachments. To put it in a different wording the meter is measuring the difference in voltage between those two points, performing the math, and displaying the results to you on the digital display. In our example I highly doubt that a single strand could support carrying the needed current from the alt back to the battery. The spec for voltage drop testing is .2v across a connection or short length of wire.

Now in your scenario you have multiple connections including your switch. You can move you meter leads to different positions to narrow down your search. For example. DVOM leads on alt post and input wire at Ta and test. Next leads on input wire of Ta and output wire of Ta and test. Next meter leads on input to your switch and its output wire and test. Next meter leads from switch output to battery. If you had, for example a 2v drop from alt to battery, the testing of short lengths of wire, the Ta connector, and the switch individually should yield you a bad wire, connector, and/or component.

Hopefully you now have a better understanding of this unique test process.

The other day you mentioned you were working on a sprinkler system. This is a very valid comparison. If for example you know you had water pressure at the street level (battery voltage/12v) but the last sprinkler was just dribbling (4v), if you had a method to check the water differential at different components along the water circuit to locate a corroded component, leaking, broken pipe, would that be beneficial to someone?
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Reply with quote

Hi. This youtube video shows the basic concept of voltage drop testing while circuits are under a load, or operating. It shows the testing of a complete circuit and its sub-circuits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMXENKujYtc

There are many good videos on this practice and Daniel Sullivan has numerous videos.
Hope this helps, Bill.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Reply with quote

This is a little off topic, but maybe not. Why would I get a volt reading across my battery terminals when my multimeter is set to Alternating Current? I should get no reading at all, right? Doesn't an alternator turn alternating current into direct current? Why would I get any alternating current?

Edit: apparently, my inexpensive multimeter can't measure ac volts correctly on an automobile. Now, on to jumping and voltage drop.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Reply with quote

After much voltage drop testing and whatnot, I came to the obvious conclusion that my alternator simply needed replacement. I just got a New Mexican-made Bosch AL82N in the mail from Cipi1. It cost $189.00 total (no tax or shipping charge--who-hoo).

Anyway, I just watched an alternator conversion video on YouTube by Joel from Australia. He wired the two upper alternator posts the way you might imagine, but he also wired up a ground wire to the screw on the upper left side of the new alternator. So this leaves me wondering.

Does the alternator have to be separately grounded by this screw? I thought the alternator was already grounded by the oil-filler stand, and didn't require a separate ground. But since it was Joel--a guy who has a lot of experience with such things--I have to stop and think why he did this.

After all, my engine has been running for over four years without a separate ground wire attached to the old alternator, so is this really necessary? Or is it just extra insurance that's not really required.

Joel, if you're reading this, tell me why you did what you did? All others may chime in, too.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Reply with quote

Hi. Don't know why Joel ran an additional ground but it wouldn't cause any additional concern. Possibly OCD about grounding Very Happy .
You got it correct with the alt/gen clamped to the stand, bolted to the case, bolted to the trans, with a trans to chassis ground strap.
Good luck on your install.

Were you able to resolve any voltage drop from the alt's B+ to the battery positive terminal?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Reply with quote

Rocker, I got so many different results; although I have checked my multimeter against another, more expensive unit, and mine is accurate.

At times, there would be a voltage drop from B+, but at other times, there wasn't.

I did check the three big wires going into the Ta junction, and all three were fine. The same voltage coming and going to these were the same as at the B+ post. While checking these, I also connected the multimeter to a different ground than the battery post. No change in readings. The small red wire in Ta was for my defrost, so I didn't test that wire because my grids are shot, anyway. And one of the wires goes to the diognostic port, so I skipped that too. I may just remove it.

I also squirted some DeOxit into Ta and pulled out the connections. They looked great.

The alternator started showing readings that were in the low 12's. The following day, they were up to 13.68. Later in the day: 12.33. So, I went for changing the alternator. When I get my old one out, I'm going to have it refurbished here in town for ... A rainy day. It's a Bosch, too.

My transmission ground looked suspect, so I decided to buy that ground strap, as well as a new negative battery strap just because these are two items I haven't replaced or restored on the car. And also because the two new ones I just got in the mail from Bughaus are nice and shiny copper straps from Germany. Whoo-hoo!

Since I'm pulling the engine, and I'm in the mood for spending, I ordered a Hoover bit from Awesomepowdercoat.com. That was a week ago, but it was just mailed today. My oil temps are fine, but a Hoover bit won't hurt, and might even reduce the temps even more. Why not?

I'm also repainting the rear breast plate and fan shroud. I have a new emission sticker I got from the Samba Classifieds, so it's going to be nice when done. And maybe ... I'll repaint the muffler with some gray VHT.

This Saturday, it'll be 114 here in Redding, so morning work only for a while.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
Hi. Don't know why Joel ran an additional ground but it wouldn't cause any additional concern. Possibly OCD about grounding Very Happy .
You got it correct with the alt/gen clamped to the stand, bolted to the case, bolted to the trans, with a trans to chassis ground strap.

That ground wire keeps the alternator in synch with the battery. Without that ground wire, the internal regulator guesses at the base line voltage. That is what it is about. You can live without it, but your alternator may pump more amperage out to your battery, decreasing the longivity of both the alternator and battery.

If it were my car, I would run the $5.00 ground wire to offset a premature alternator or battery or both purchase.

Based on experience and that I am frugal.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Glowing alternator light tonight! Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

I did check the three big wires going into the Ta junction, and all three were fine. The same voltage coming and going to these were the same as at the B+ post. While checking these, I also connected the multimeter to a different ground than the battery post.

Tim

Tim, you do know when performing a voltage drop test on that 12v positive wire, or the Ta connector, the volt meter does not get hooked up to any ground connection?

The volt meter is hooked up in "parallel" to any 12v circuit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: